News: Werder: Tony Romo to have surgery

DandyDon52

Reaction score
If JG had any brains he would use max protection on most pass plays to protect tony from the guys
coming in full speed to sack and fall on him.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Maybe many already knew .. but I just realized that 3 or the 4 QBs in this weekend championship games are over 36 .. so maybe there is still time for Romo

:cool:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Maybe many already knew .. but I just realized that 3 or the 4 QBs in this weekend championship games are over 36 .. so maybe there is still time for Romo

:cool:

he has more time, he just doesnt have the great defense, and good coaches.
and each year the jones boys fix the team which usually hurts more than helps.

Carolina will more than likely repeat again in 2016, and there are a few other teams that will be better than the cowboys.
Phillys new coaches may make them a contender for the div, and Commanders and giants should be better too.
The nfce teams will play 2 tough div again.
I dont see the cowboys going past the div round the next 2 years.

csirl

Reaction score
The collarbone thing is a distraction.

The real problem is Tony's back. It can never be fixed - just 'managed'.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The collarbone thing is a distraction.

The real problem is Tony's back. It can never be fixed - just 'managed'.

This is true, but the question is, is his back going to take significant time off of his career, especially if he has a great supporting cast.

I would say he could continue for quite sometime if we can get the right players around him.

Getting him some speed at receiver would go a long way, we currently have no consistent speed threats, and really haven't since Owens and Glenn, but look at 2007, it was one of his best years, and he was still in his infancy as an NFL QB.

Get Romo a lot of speed on the outside and it will make this offensive line look even better. We have to take the edge off the rush, and get the ball out quicker at the same time, both the deep threat and the middle need to be valid options for us.

I think Beasley can work in our offense, I think New England made it a point to make Edelman and Welker work. We don't do that with our players. We didn't do it with Beasley, we didn't do it with Escobar. Honestly, we haven't done it with Bryant either. It always devolves into a pitch and catch between Romo and Witten.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
This is true, but the question is, is his back going to take significant time off of his career, especially if he has a great supporting cast.

I would say he could continue for quite sometime if we can get the right players around him.

Getting him some speed at receiver would go a long way, we currently have no consistent speed threats, and really haven't since Owens and Glenn, but look at 2007, it was one of his best years, and he was still in his infancy as an NFL QB.

Get Romo a lot of speed on the outside and it will make this offensive line look even better. We have to take the edge off the rush, and get the ball out quicker at the same time, both the deep threat and the middle need to be valid options for us.

I think Beasley can work in our offense, I think New England made it a point to make Edelman and Welker work. We don't do that with our players. We didn't do it with Beasley, we didn't do it with Escobar. Honestly, we haven't done it with Bryant either. It always devolves into a pitch and catch between Romo and Witten.

See what happened to Brady last weekend? Romo would have been carted out of that game the first quarter. The problem is that Romo has a gigantic target on his back (literally) and all it takes is a shove or a late shove (like the Giants gave Romo in our first game) to set him back. The blood is in the water and the opposing defenses now know how to kill the DC; Just take out Romo with a few legal or illegal hits and the game is yours.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
His back will most likely always be in issue in some way. Our line as the season progressed was extremely impressive against the pass rush, I am hoping they go into 2016 without needing time to gel. If Romo can stay upright for most of the season, he should be fine. The problem then will be if father time catches up to him and effects his arm strength rapidly like it did with Peyton Manning. I haven't seen a reduction in throwing power, at least in any significant way.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
See what happened to Brady last weekend? Romo would have been carted out of that game the first quarter. The problem is that Romo has a gigantic target on his back (literally) and all it takes is a shove or a late shove (like the Giants gave Romo in our first game) to set him back. The blood is in the water and the opposing defenses now know how to kill the DC; Just take out Romo with a few legal or illegal hits and the game is yours.

I don't see it that way. I think we put ourselves in that position by not being able to take pressure off the QB with weapons on the outside. Witten is extremely slow. Williams doesn't scare anyone. You can take Bryant out of the game with double coverage. Without the running game to impose upon you, you can just key on getting pressure on Romo.

That has to change.

Hoov

Reaction score
His back will most likely always be in issue in some way. Our line as the season progressed was extremely impressive against the pass rush, I am hoping they go into 2016 without needing time to gel. If Romo can stay upright for most of the season, he should be fine. The problem then will be if father time catches up to him and effects his arm strength rapidly like it did with Peyton Manning. I haven't seen a reduction in throwing power, at least in any significant way.

If he threw the ball away as quickly Manning does when protection breaks down that would go a long way toward him staying upright. He doesn't though, he tries to extend plays and even if the line gives him more time he is likely to still take a lot of hits trying to hold the ball just a little longer. Peyton cant afford to take a lot of hits, and he doesn't because he just gets rid of the ball as soon as an unblocked defender comes through - its kind of a giving up on the play to come back for the next down. That's the type of change Tony probably needs to make.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Should have done this last year, when the recent fracture first occurred.

Well, duh! as you Yanks exclaim.
I, too, wondered why now instead of then. But, of course, the medical team might have delayed it for unknown reasons. But if done at the time it was broken, Romo would already be in rehab and that much closer to being 100%, such as it is.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Poor Romo is going to be such a huge target for defenders next year. Any defensive coordinator worth his salt is going to tell his defense to light Romo up in the first quarter of the game. Besides, its not like Romo gets roughing calls so its really not that much of a risk to tell your defenders to take an extra step and lay Romo out after he throws the ball. And I tell my defense that when you do hit Romo, make sure you fall on top of him because his back and collarbone are the weak spots.

And if I am already thinking about this, don't you think DCs around the league are thinking about this as well.?

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Poor Romo is going to be such a huge target for defenders next year. Any defensive coordinator worth his salt is going to tell his defense to light Romo up in the first quarter of the game. Besides, its not like Romo gets roughing calls so its really not that much of a risk to tell your defenders to take an extra step and lay Romo out after he throws the ball. And I tell my defense that when you do hit Romo, make sure you fall on top of him because his back and collarbone are the weak spots.

And if I am already thinking about this, don't you think DCs around the league are thinking about this as well.?

The league has legislated against such head-hunting, and have zero tolerance regarding QB safety. The New Orleans staff would have some comments about the wisdom of that.

And BTW, Tony's clavicle will not be weak next year.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Sources: Cowboys QB Tony Romo's surgery plan to address fractured collarbone revealed

By David Moore, Staff Writer Contact David Mooreon Twitter:mad:DavidMooreDMN

Tony Romo still intends to have surgery on his left clavicle.

Only the date and type of procedure remain in question, sources said.

The plan is for the Cowboys quarterback to undergo another CT scan at the end of this month or early March. At that point the best way to proceed will be reassessed.

Two options are in play, sources said. Doctors could determine it's best to use a set of screws to attach a plate over the collarbone to limit the potential for this to become a recurring issue.

But if the next scan shows a comparable level of bone growth and regeneration to the one taken last week, doctors could opt for a Mumford procedure. This is where a portion of the distal clavicle is shaved off or removed.

This approach is taken to reduce pain and discomfort where the clavicle meets the shoulder. If the results of the next scan warrant this approach, it would be preferred because it places less long-term stress on the collarbone than attaching a plate.

Both procedures have a six-to-eight week recovery period which would clear Romo to take the field for the start of organized team activities in May.

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...-procedures-play-address-fractured-collarbone

superjoe

#1 Risher
Reaction score
So he improving his brittle bones, isn't that performance enhancing? haha couldn't resist.:laugh:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Along with his back, another visible target area of Romo for every defensive coordinator Dallas plays next year.
Sure no intentional hits, but Romo's collarbone region will be a bull's-eye for opposing defensive players on sacks, pressure plays, & hits after throws.

Draft the QB and by the third game, the rookie QB will play.

The way Romo is able to move around all they are trying to do is get to him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sources: Cowboys QB Tony Romo's surgery plan to address fractured collarbone revealed

By David Moore, Staff Writer Contact David Mooreon Twitter:mad:DavidMooreDMN

Tony Romo still intends to have surgery on his left clavicle.

Only the date and type of procedure remain in question, sources said.

The plan is for the Cowboys quarterback to undergo another CT scan at the end of this month or early March. At that point the best way to proceed will be reassessed.

Two options are in play, sources said. Doctors could determine it's best to use a set of screws to attach a plate over the collarbone to limit the potential for this to become a recurring issue.

But if the next scan shows a comparable level of bone growth and regeneration to the one taken last week, doctors could opt for a Mumford procedure. This is where a portion of the distal clavicle is shaved off or removed.

This approach is taken to reduce pain and discomfort where the clavicle meets the shoulder. If the results of the next scan warrant this approach, it would be preferred because it places less long-term stress on the collarbone than attaching a plate.

Both procedures have a six-to-eight week recovery period which would clear Romo to take the field for the start of organized team activities in May.

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...-procedures-play-address-fractured-collarbone

If that is the case he will see action in the OTA, main thing is there is something he can do to lessen the chance of breaking it again and missing a big portion of the season is good news in my view

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The league has legislated against such head-hunting, and have zero tolerance regarding QB safety. The New Orleans staff would have some comments about the wisdom of that.

And BTW, Tony's clavicle will not be weak next year.

Sorry, but Romo gets power driven into the turf on a regular basis, gets shoved in the back after the ball is gone and even has players dive into his knees and I never see a flag. So the idea that he is being "protected by the league is hilarious".

Here is a pic from the Green Bay game last season.......Romo throws the ball and is just standing there and Clay Mathewes takes like 3 steps and dives right into Romo's knees.............cleary late, cleary low, and yet no flag was thrown on the play.

clay.png

So please explain again how the league takes care of Romo...........BAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA