Video: We've seen Romo deliver plenty of these type of games Dak just had, yet doesn't get the same grief?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Romo has delivered these type of games over the years... bad to mediocre for a few quarters, then ball out in the 4th to win it or score then watch the defense let the opposition walk down the field and win it.
Dak played poorly but didn't put his head down. He stood tall and played with guts. He's a work in progress but the kid has a moxy/clutch gene that very few have, even those with more physical talents.

We deify Romo but seem to forget the numerous games that he had that were carbon copies of tonight.
Remember these?

With Romo it was a clunker here and there. With Dak since Atlanta, the problems have been consistent, but diminishing.

With Romo, we saw great passing across the field with the mistakes. Dak has not shown that kind of full field accuracy. Probably never does.

When the accuracy is never really that great, it's hard to give gaffes a pass.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He choked every playoff. I can think of one playoff game where he carried his team Detroit that is it.

Dak lost his only playoff game. but Romo never came close to a performance like that in any single game in the playoffs.

Is 2014 really that long ago? Romo "carried" us against GB and got robbed on the famous Dez Bryant TD that was reversed on replay. He had a 143 QBR that game and only missed 4 passes. Dak didn't touch that against GB and stunk up the entire first half which is one big reason we got down 21-0.

You should really stop now and save yourself what dignity you have left.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
He was taken to the shed after being in the league 5 years, prior to that, I heard very little bad about Romo.

Well you are kind of correct. Obviously the initial years (2003-2006 wk 6) Romo was on the bench. However the the criticism of Romo started end of his 1st year as the starting QB (2006) when the team lost a playoff game in Seattle. Grew to a roar the following year when he and Witten went to Cabo.

Gator88

Reaction score
He choked every playoff. I can think of one playoff game where he carried his team Detroit that is it.

Dak lost his only playoff game. but Romo never came close to a performance like that in any single game in the playoffs.
:lmao: I can't imagine actually being this far from reality.

Back to the OP, Romo didn't have these games often at all, and if he did the defense was giving up 30+ points with very few exceptions.

explayer24

Reaction score
I looked it up.
Romo started 156 games and had more TDs than turnovers in 136 of them. (abut 87% of the time) Pretty astounding for a "gun-slinger".

His TD to int ratio in the playoffs is one of the best in NFL history at 8 to 2 ..and one of those was a hail mary, no choice thing.

People just have selective memory because we love our Cowboys so much and some of those bad games are burned into our memory.

Can't believe Buffalo is always brought up. Was that really a big game? About as un-big a game as it gets. And like yesterday, the team did actually win.
romo never won anything but he had great stats give dak a chance in the playoffs and lets see what happens.

Last edited:

explayer24

Reaction score
all people do is complain about dak but all he does is win,if another q b comes in worse than dak some of these same people will start making excuses recievers not getting open.line not blocking etc .give the kid a chance hes still young lets see how he responds in the playoffs before you pass judgment

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
This game should have been deja vu for many of us.
As great as the D has played for 3 quarters, I had that same old pit in my stomach as I knew they were gonna let the Eagles continue to score until it came down to who had the ball last. We've seen this same movie before.

Romo has delivered these type of games over the years... bad to mediocre for a few quarters, then ball out in the 4th to win it or score then watch the defense let the opposition walk down the field and win it.
Dak played poorly but didn't put his head down. He stood tall and played with guts. He's a work in progress but the kid has a moxy/clutch gene that very few have, even those with more physical talents.

We deify Romo but seem to forget the numerous games that he had that were carbon copies of tonight.
Remember these?

(Look at these awful INT throws.)

(The "Witten tackling a cheerleader" game.)

Dak has another yr left on his rookie contract. He's frustrating as heck sometimes but let's hope and see if the guy can get better. No, he's not the passer Romo became (and didn't benefit from sitting 4 years behind veterans) but its possible he can tweak some things in his game to become better.

The vitriol around here is ridiculous. The same way we defended Romo from outside critics is the same way some of us are defending Dak from his own fanbase. Sad.

Put the pipe down. Romo got plenty of grief. Try opening your eyes & seeing EVERYTHING, instead of just what YOU want to see.

DFWJC

Reaction score
romo never won anything but he had great stats give dak a chance in the playoffs and lets see what happens.
Im pulling for Dak too.

Teams advance in the playoffs, not individual players
Football 101

Last edited:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Romo was not deified from 2008 to 2014. He was harangued plenty.
Absolutely correct. Romo was known as the choker in big games at big moments, and he was hit with that regularly. The GB catch game would have finally ended that legacy for him, but he’s still known as a good QB who couldn’t produce at the biggest moment.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
He had some good parts around him, but those parts often failed to do their part.

Some tend to forget details like Terrell Owens basically being a decoy in the 2007 playoffs against the Giants because of injury and with Glenn just coming back from injury, our receiving corps was pretty decimated. They forget that offensive line, which had looked so good during the regular season, getting exposed by the Giants' stunting defense once it was able to take away the run in the second half. They forget the defense giving up a 61-yard TD pass just before halftime when Dallas was up 14-7. They forget an end-zone drop by Fasano when Dallas regained the lead having to settle for a field goal. They don't usually forget Crayton's wide-open drop (which led to Dallas punting and a 25-yard return giving New York the ball on Dallas' 37 on the go-ahead TD drive) or hesitating on his route when he had the DB beat for a TD, but they seem to equate them equally with Romo throwing a desperation fourth-down interception toward Glenn because time was running out and he had no choice.

Yet with all the going against him, we only lost 21-17 ... and Romo gets blamed inordinately for it. The devil is always in the details.
That's history and we know the results and how it happened, but the expectations before those examples were just as high, if not higher. Fans today are still talking about how great our OL is, like Fredbeard is still starting and haven't been been subbing in a rookie and journeyman lineman along most of the OL. Or conveniently forget how inexperienced and below average our TEs that we started this season with, none are remotely close to the young all-pro Witten, especially in a scheme that has traditionally been very TE dependent not just in catching but blocking. Or how woefully average to below average our WR corps was before Amari, like hiring a new WR coach was going to somehow make them more talented. Or that a 3rd year QB is expected to being able to read, change and adjust at the line like the seasoned vet Tony that also had the benefit of sitting and learning from a great coach, Payton, before even being a starter.

I'm not trying to say Dak is better, because he just doesn't have the same natural talent as Tony. Tony was fairly and unfairly bashed just as Dak has been, it comes with the territory being the QB, especially in Dallas. Dak gets bashed when we win, because it wasn't pretty enough or by enough points. People say it was Dak's fault and sometimes it is, but Tony also got us in similar situations throwing bad INTs or taking a bad sack. Tony had the habit of holding the ball too. While they are different QBs, the one trait they do share is they're both fighters and keep showing the ability to bring the team back despite their own mistakes. Much like Dak, people questioned if Tony would learn from his mistakes. It's easier to judge Tony now, because it's history now and we have his whole body of work to judge him by. I think the same with Dak as I did with Tony at this point of their careers, I like them, but need to see if they can take the next step, cautionally optimistic.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Is 2014 really that long ago? Romo "carried" us against GB and got robbed on the famous Dez Bryant TD that was reversed on replay. He had a 143 QBR that game and only missed 4 passes. Dak didn't touch that against GB and stunk up the entire first half which is one big reason we got down 21-0.

You should really stop now and save yourself what dignity you have left.
Romo dinked and dunked agianst stacked boxes taking bad sacks and fumbling a 3rd down late in the half. TWill broke a long TD on a short pass. Murray was the work horse. Romo also missed a wide open Beasley which would have gotten the first trying to play hero and go deep for the first time in the game when we only needed 2 yards.

Romo can be slammed for every game he played, too, just like Dak. He was far from perfect.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Romo dinked and dunked agianst stacked boxes taking bad sacks and fumbling a 3rd down late in the half. TWill broke a long TD on a short pass. Murray was the work horse. Romo also missed a wide open Beasley which would have gotten the first trying to play hero and go deep for the first time in the game when we only needed 2 yards.

Romo can be slammed for every game he played, too, just like Dak. He was far from perfect.

Indeed.

And I cut Romo a LOT of slack early for those first 5 seasons or so, until he got injured. I defended him a lot since he was a new QB who had to learn. So I'm cutting Dak a lot of slack now, with the fumbles and turnovers and bad sacks...because he too is even a younger QB. But trust me, after 5 or 6 seasons, if there's no playoff success, and if he's the culprit in those losses...I will definitely lose patience.

But after 3 seasons, I like what I see....I like his fight, attitude, leadership....and his ability, and his potential. I'll take it, gladly.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It's easier to judge Tony now, because it's history now and we have his whole body of work to judge him by. I think the same with Dak as I did with Tony at this point of their careers, I like them, but need to see if they can take the next step, cautionally optimistic.

I truly believe if the team around him had been good enough that Romo could have won a title or three. Of course, considering some of the QBs who have Super Bowl titles, that's easy to say, but I think Romo played well enough to deserve one.

Right now, I don't know if we'll reach that point with Dak. I hope that we will, and how he played at the end of Sunday's game feeds that hope some.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This is all proof on how the fan base is conditioned to actively enjoy roller coaster performances from the QB instead of steady consistency.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
This is all proof on how the fan base is conditioned to actively enjoy roller coaster performances from the QB instead of steady consistency.

...because very few QBs are consistent. Hec, the Cowboys made Drew Brees look like a rookie. So, no one's perfect.

Thus, playing QB does become a true test of how you deal with adversity, and if you can learn from your mistakes. I believe Dak can, and will... Romo tried, but it was hard for him to break the bad habits of holding onto the ball and such. Time will tell if Dak can learn, we just don't know yet. I have hope...until I don't. LOL

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
:lmao: I can't imagine actually being this far from reality.

Back to the OP, Romo didn't have these games often at all, and if he did the defense was giving up 30+ points with very few exceptions.
How does the defense giving up points effect his play?
Dallas couldn’t stop Rodgers all game and Dak still had a game Tony can only dream of in the playoffs.
Sorry it’s as real as it gets, you just cannot bring yourself to admit it.