What Anonymous Scouts Had To Say About Five Cowboys Rookies

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Man what happened to this guy?

Injuries and then lack of confidence. But he was much improved agility/cutting ability wise last year after the knee surgeries. He got his strength/weight up this year so hopefully he has a breakthrough.

Here's Broaddus showing him against Julio Jones.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I always like hearing scouts takes on players. What is more interesting is seeing what they said 2 to 3 years down the road to see how accurate or inaccurate they were. Looking back at many great players not all scouts had the favorable views of.
I have seen some claim that if he can return healthy Jaylon Smith could be the steal of this draft. Will see

tyke1doe

Reaction score
"They rave about him," another NFC personnel chief said of the coaches at Ohio State. "Not many college backs are really good in protection. He really is (special)."

Romo has to be smiling.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Scout #3.
little-green-army-men.gif

Hey, Yuma. By the way, what IQ is needed to rip heads off?

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Injuries and then lack of confidence. But he was much improved agility/cutting ability wise last year after the knee surgeries. He got his strength/weight up this year so hopefully he has a breakthrough.

He lost the dog in him somewhere along the way, thats for sure.

rkell87

Reaction score
Man what happened to this guy?

Well seeing as hindsight is 20/20 you just watched highlights of a guy that looked great because of two future NFL all pros playing opposite him. He didn't go against #1s like PP and HB and didn't look great when he did. Dude needs to go to Arizona and see if he can't be that complementary player for those guys again.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He scored an 18, which was better than Ragland (10 the first time and 15 on a do-over), yet no scout in that article said he was stupid, just a slow learner.

I'm glad you pointed this out because I read the article and didn't read where he was called stupid. I thought maybe I missed it.

As for a "slow learner," that doesn't translate to "dumb." Some people have slow processing skills but once they get it, look out. They're as sharp as tacks.

Besides, the evaluation was from ONE scout. The consensus is that he is a great player - injury notwithstanding, of course.

I had my doubts about the pick solely because of the severity of his injury and not because he wasn't a potentially great talent.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I read that the Cowboys have designs on him playing MLB. If smarts were a concern, I doubt they would put that on him.

I just wanted to like and reply to my man Alex for old time's sake.
You my boy, Turquoise.

Corso

Reaction score
Yeah, where is that guy? :huh:

That's why I had a huge grin on my face when that DB coach left. I won't even grace his name.

Dude needed to be gone 3 years ago. Didn't like him when he came on board, didn't like him while he was here and lobbied for his ouster 2 years ago and last year.
That guy did NOTHING for this secondary. NOTHING.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
There's a reason these "scouts" don't want their name mentioned. No accountability for their guesses. Reminds me of CZ.

In any event, what concerns me about the Prescott pick is that he may have the goods for the NFL, but this is the wrong team for him-----actually the wrong coaching staff. He will get no favors working with Wilson or Garrett, who have a history of not preparing QBs for the NFL. Dallas needed a NFL ready QB with natural abilities and smarts-----Romo has had to depend on these in Dallas. Dak would have been much better off working under coaches like Kubiak or even Arians. He really needs a mentor and teacher to get him ready.

Personally, I can't help but think he is a notch above Tim Tebow------and at best, will be a journey man backup in the NFL. Hey, it beats looking for a job at Lowe's. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But the pay scale is a bit less. ;)

Can you explain the history of Wilson and Garrett not preparing QBs for the NFL.

From waht I can see they have been in charge of 8 of Romo's last 9 seasons as a starter.

He seems to have progressed in that time...

Corso

Reaction score
Can you explain the history of Wilson and Garrett not preparing QBs for the NFL.

From waht I can see they have been in charge of 8 of Romo's last 9 seasons as a starter.

You may be right, but I don't see progression. I see reaction.
I see reaction to a different style of plays, a different style of play calling over the past few years and Romo's adjustment to it.

He isn't THAT much different than he was and much of his growth was simply common sense to all sides, and I believe he would have seen it himself.

But I'm not going to discount my lack of a nuanced eye towards these things and leave it at: you're analysis is just as good as mine.
Carry on brother/sister.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He lost the dog in him somewhere along the way, thats for sure.

Or it is easy to hide your lack of it in a pretty talented defense. That is one pitfall of powerhouse SEC schools. There are a lot of times it is hard to separate team success from individual talent.

That is one reason you do see people start to lump prospects from the same program together.

Corso

Reaction score
Or it is easy to hide your lack of it in a pretty talented defense. That is one pitfall of powerhouse SEC schools. There are a lot of times it is hard to separate team success from individual talent.

That is one reason you do see people start to lump prospects from the same program together.

So true... It's very hard to evaluate when there is a ton of talent surrounding them.
I don't think our scouting staff knows how to deal with that dynamic and just watch the players individually doing their work.
Which is fine, but... this game is more nuanced than that and that's where I believe a lot of hangups with these scouts happen.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I would not be upset with a major shakeup with the scouting department.
From top to bottom.

Reaction score

I'll be doing cartwheels in the driveway if Mo finally lives up to his perceived potential this year.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
So true... It's very hard to evaluate when there is a ton of talent surrounding them.
I don't think our scouting staff knows how to deal with that dynamic and just watch the players individually doing their work.
Which is fine, but... this game is more nuanced than that and that's where I believe a lot of hangups with these scouts happen.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I would not be upset with a major shakeup with the scouting department.
From top to bottom.

We might be seeing that in the next few years. Especially if someone decides McClay is worth pursuing.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Romo's gotten better each and every season he's been in the league. But then he also works really hard at it. Whether it's cutting down wasted movement in the pocket or getting rid of the ball faster when a play doesn't develop, or the adjustments he makes at the line, he does a great job. And obviously his coaches get full credit for working with him on any improvements.

This fantasy that Romo is somehow successful in spite of his coaching and in spite of his play calling is a joke. And it goes on and on and on at the expense of criticism of the things on the other sides of the ball that are actual problems that get this team beat over and over and over.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I'll be doing cartwheels in the driveway if Mo finally lives up to his perceived potential this year.

Claiborne really was pretty good last year. Some guys are slow learners (and Claiborne is definitely that) and along with him constant nagging injuries, it just might have derailed him enough where he couldn't just go out and play.

Maybe the light went on a little bit for him last year and it is possible for him to become a good player. Probably never will be great but if he just improves some from last year he will be an asset in the defensive backfield instead of a liability that he seemed to be prior to last year.

That is a big part of why I thought it was a good idea to sign him to that one year contract and give him one more shot.

Corso

Reaction score
Claiborne really was pretty good last year. Some guys are slow learners (and Claiborne is definitely that) and along with him constant nagging injuries, it just might have derailed him enough where he couldn't just go out and play.

Maybe the light went on a little bit for him last year and it is possible for him to become a good player. Probably never will be great but if he just improves some from last year he will be an asset in the defensive backfield instead of a liability that he seemed to be prior to last year.

That is a big part of why I thought it was a good idea to sign him to that one year contract and give him one more shot.

Clai is the type of player I would sneak acid into his drink prior to the game and tell him the other team is trying to get into his momma's house.
At best he's a defensive demon... with a little bit of outside control, of course. At worst, he's no worse than he was the year before last.

I know! I know! What a horrible guy I am!
I admit it. I'd still do it.

I'm thinking of how to do it, as we type...