What are your expectations of Dak's ceiling with us?

What are your expectations of Dak's ceiling with us?

• He'll never take us to the playoffs..

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care..

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
IMO, Dak has arm strength but has to wind up. He lacks whip that allows for a quick and compact release. He seems deficit in pocket awareness and when the really good ones would step up to create space - Dak continues to fade back while erect creating both an easy target for the defender bearing down on him AND a very awkward throw off the back foot. A lethal combo for Cowboys fans. His redeemer is his ability to run. He has thick stems where most QBs have legs bird-like. He is at his best when the staff get him involved in the rushing attack. He seems to gain some Mojo which carries over to his passing efforts.

he's been too much Checkdown Charley and THAT has to change.

Last edited:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Interesting responses thus far. Definitely not what I expected. There appears to be a tad more confidence in Dak that I thought.

Ken

Reaction score
Again...comebacks. And what do you mean "it?" It what? You chose 3 plays and that's "it"?

When was that hail mary again?
Last play of regulation against Houston and the ball went over 60 yards.

And "it" is the last game.

Let me know if I can help you understand anything else.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Last play of regulation against Houston and the ball went over 60 yards.

And "it" is the last game.

Let me know if I can help you understand anything else.

So, the 3 plays you chose are plays that were from a game where the longest pass (from the LoS) he threw in the air was 10.3 yards? And you're using that as an argument of arm strength? And you these were still comebacks? Do I have that correct?

I did find the Hail Mary (ESPN oddly doesn't break their play by play up at the end of the 4th like they do at the half). It was right after he almost threw a pick six to lose the game in regulation. He got it to the end zone, but it certainly wasn't perfectly thrown. Perfectly thrown would have a much higher arc, like the ones Rodgers has had success with. Those take a lot of arm strength. Prescotts was just a normal deep throw, nothing special about it. Outside of throws like Rodgers makes, a deep throw isn't really an indication of arm strength anyway. Not that I expect a QB to have Rodgers' arm. That said, there's still no reason Garrett shouldn't have thrown one at the end of the half against Atlanta.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
What is the pulse of Cowboys faithful regarding Dak?

In essence he is a bus driver like romo was.

I think with the right supporting cast and some.luck we could win a SB with him. But thats a big if. There also could be discovered intelligent life on mars.

I would invest heavily in a franchise QB.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What is the pulse of Cowboys faithful regarding Dak?

This is not a realistic question. QB's don't take teams anywhere. They do with the rest of the team. I don't think anyone QB will win a championship here with Jones as GM and Garrett as coach.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
In essence he is a bus driver like romo was.

I think with the right supporting cast and some.luck we could win a SB with him. But thats a big if. There also could be discovered intelligent life on mars.

I would invest heavily in a franchise QB.

Investing heavily in a franchise QB means getting the QB the pieces he needs to succeed.

JDSmith

Reaction score
For the life of me I cannot comprehend how this group got into their heads that Dak has a lack of arm strength. Hey, we know he struggles w/ accuracy and footwork and progressions, that's clear. So, why do they feel some strange need to lie about it? I seriously don't get it.

I think he doesn't have a great NFL arm, but his arm strength is probably near average for the position. To me, having a strong NFL arm isn't about making the 60 yard throw - nearly everyone who's been drafted can make that throw. It's in how much effort it takes and how consistently you can make it go where you want 60 yards away. It's also in how much effort it takes and how consistently you can make it go where you want 20 yards away. Because the guy who can make it with less effort probably has better control since he's not putting everything into the power behind it.

Dak can throw the ball hard enough and far enough, but can he do so with consistent accuracy? That I haven't seen.

All that said, I believe the difference in NFL quarterbacks is mostly mental. They almost all meet the threshold of talent required for the position. They can throw the ball harder and with better accuracy than the vast majority of guys - that's why they got drafted. But the highest level of success comes from knowing when and where to make the throw. Making the correct read and doing it faster than the next guy. If the ball comes out half a second quicker it makes up for the loss of a few MPH on the throw. If you can put the ball exactly where you want it, and decide correctly where to put it faster than everyone else, you can make the hall of fame with a truly middling arm. I don't recall anyone ever saying that Joe Montana had elite arm talent.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, perceived lack of upper echelon talent.

If, for instance, Dak had an NFL caliber arm he'd have bene a 2nd rounder minimum.

The other day we didn't go for a Hail Mary in an obvious situation...and I wonder if some of that is because of Dak's arm.
What was to lose? So it gets picked, they're not going to score unless they let the DB run the entire length of the field. Wait, an end of the half play is coming back to me. Never mind.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
What was to lose? So it gets picked, they're not going to score unless they let the DB run the entire length of the field. Wait, an end of the half play is coming back to me. Never mind.
Yeah this is how we should determine play calls. We've had field goals blocked before. We should never kick another.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Like Romo was? Wut?

a bus driver. 2014 showed.

you give him a very strong supporting cast so he wont have the feeling that he has to carry the team. he will excell in that surrounding to his maximum talent level.
dont ever let him get the feeling he has to carry the team. he a) cant but worse b) he thinks he can.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Dak might be able to lead us to a SB with a top running game and top defense but he needs new coaches. Don't think he'll ever be successful here with this bunch.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I would really like to do business with the people who have voted for the first two options.

Ken

Reaction score
So, the 3 plays you chose are plays that were from a game where the longest pass (from the LoS) he threw in the air was 10.3 yards? And you're using that as an argument of arm strength? And you these were still comebacks? Do I have that correct?

I did find the Hail Mary (ESPN oddly doesn't break their play by play up at the end of the 4th like they do at the half). It was right after he almost threw a pick six to lose the game in regulation. He got it to the end zone, but it certainly wasn't perfectly thrown. Perfectly thrown would have a much higher arc, like the ones Rodgers has had success with. Those take a lot of arm strength. Prescotts was just a normal deep throw, nothing special about it. Outside of throws like Rodgers makes, a deep throw isn't really an indication of arm strength anyway. Not that I expect a QB to have Rodgers' arm. That said, there's still no reason Garrett shouldn't have thrown one at the end of the half against Atlanta.
Ya i am not following either argument.

I am glad you took the time to break down a hail mary pass. One that you didnt realize actually happened and one that you apparently thought he couldn't do. 6 yards into the end zone from the other 43 is a hell of a throw. Knock it all you want, but in the game thread
..people were bashing Dak that he couldn't get it there and then were were praising the attempt after.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
a bus driver. 2014 showed.

you give him a very strong supporting cast so he wont have the feeling that he has to carry the team. he will excell in that surrounding to his maximum talent level.
dont ever let him get the feeling he has to carry the team. he a) cant but worse b) he thinks he can.

I don't think b is true. The rest applies to every QB.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Ya i am not following either argument.

I am glad you took the time to break down a hail mary pass. One that you didnt realize actually happened and one that you apparently thought he couldn't do. 6 yards into the end zone from the other 43 is a hell of a throw. Knock it all you want, but in the game thread
..people were bashing Dak that he couldn't get it there and then were were praising the attempt after.

If you can't follow those very simple arguments...wow.

I apparently didn't think he could do? Whatever gave you that impression? And excuse me for not recalling a single meaningless play nearly 2 months ago.

6 yards into the endzone? You may want to watch it again. And any QB in the NFL can throw it 60 yards. It was not impressive. It was not a lime drive and did not have a high arc. If that impresses you, it's no wonder your takes are so far off. I care not about what people in the game thread said (which is probably not what you claim).