What are your Top 5 movies?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Some take umberage at Wayne because he wasn't a good actor... Which he wasn't. Daniel Day Lewis he wasn't. But he was a hell-of-an entertaining actor. Guys like him, Clint, Charles Bronson didn't have to be great actors. They were just entertained the bejesus out of us.

Schwartz and Sly were terrible actors as well. But, they are also two of the best ever if that makes sense. I would rather watch their movies over most of these so-called Oscar winners like Streep or whoever the media darling is that year.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Schwartz and Sly were terrible actors as well. But, they are also two of the best ever if that makes sense. I would rather watch their movies over most of these so-called Oscar winners like Streep or whoever the media darling is that year.

Nail on the head!

I enjoy a well acted movie now & then... But much of the time I'm looking to be entertained and guys like those you've mentioned are top-rate entertainers.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Favorite movies as of Post #100:

qi52cnE.png

That is it for me. Too much copying-and-pasting. :D

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One of my favorite John Carpenter's The Thing quotes...

...with a little audio editing. :p

In the "Favorite movie line" thread, I was going to use Palmer's "You gotta be ####### kidding.." line, but couldn't find a "sanitary" version even on youtube. I was only 5/6 years old watching that movie in the backseat of my parent's Ford LTD wagon at a drive-in movie theater, but that was the first time I distinctly heard that kinda of phrase and the context stuck with me since then. My favorite movie line.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1-The Warriors
2-Rollerball(1975 version)
3-Audition(Japanese horror)
4-Bloodsport
5-Predator
Man...you're nailin' my other top movies.
- Warriors? Man...I was going to make that an honrable mention, but refrained. I own it on VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, director's edition, and even loved the PS2 video game of it. My love for that movie started from watching on TV sometime in the mid-80s. Again...top movie for me.
- Predator, like others have posted, is all-time great in casting a bunch of alpha-males (Arnold, Weathers, Ventura, Duke, Sonny, etc) into a really great sci-fi movie with state of the art CGI. That movie could have come out 4-5 years after it did and still kicked the crap out of anything in the theaters.
- Rollerball. The James Caan version is the only one I know. I don't remember when I first watched it (again...probably early-mid 80's) but it made such an impression on me. It was during the "James Bond" era (Roger Moore) so the cinematography style was similiar. It was part story, acting, style, music, violence...just basically "whole package" type of movie, if I could put it into any category. I only own it on DVD, but since re-watching it several times over the past decade, there's more to it than first realized when watching it in the 80's. It dug into the "underbelly" of entertainment sports (i.e. any sport) in that athletes are under way more pressure/control to perform.
- Bloodsport. If you'd asked me at age 12-13 what my favorite movie was, it would be Bloodsport! Decades later, it's not a top-10 movie for me anymore, but it's somewhere in the top 30.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1-The Warriors
2-Rollerball(1975 version)
3-Audition(Japanese horror)
4-Bloodsport
5-Predator

"Rollerball" (1975) and "The Warriors" do not get enough mentions in general by movie fans. I was too young to see "Rollerball" in theaters (it had an R rating)… But when I did the first time in its uncut version (where we lived we received one station from Canada- CHCH, which showed its movies uncut) I was blown away by the violence. I was too young to understand all of the political undertones, but the level of violence was stunning.

Was old enough to go see "The Warriors" and made such an impression I had to go see it again a few nights later.

timb2

Reaction score
Man...you're nailin' my other top movies.
- Warriors? Man...I was going to make that an honrable mention, but refrained. I own it on VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, director's edition, and even loved the PS2 video game of it. My love for that movie started from watching on TV sometime in the mid-80s. Again...top movie for me.
- Predator, like others have posted, is all-time great in casting a bunch of alpha-males (Arnold, Weathers, Ventura, Duke, Sonny, etc) into a really great sci-fi movie with state of the art CGI. That movie could have come out 4-5 years after it did and still kicked the crap out of anything in the theaters.
- Rollerball. The James Caan version is the only one I know. I don't remember when I first watched it (again...probably early-mid 80's) but it made such an impression on me. It was during the "James Bond" era (Roger Moore) so the cinematography style was similiar. It was part story, acting, style, music, violence...just basically "whole package" type of movie, if I could put it into any category. I only own it on DVD, but since re-watching it several times over the past decade, there's more to it than first realized when watching it in the 80's. It dug into the "underbelly" of entertainment sports (i.e. any sport) in that athletes are under way more pressure/control to perform.
- Bloodsport. If you'd asked me at age 12-13 what my favorite movie was, it would be Bloodsport! Decades later, it's not a top-10 movie for me anymore, but it's somewhere in the top 30.

Yeah those movies were awesome. I heard a funny thing about Rollerball. during the lunch breaks for the movie, the stuntmen were actually playing the game.The director also wanted it to be a sport that was so horrifying,repulsive, and violent to turn people off,but people were telling him they were all excited telling him they wanted to make their own leagues.LOL!!

timb2

Reaction score
"Rollerball" (1975) and "The Warriors" do not get enough mentions in general by movie fans. I was too young to see "Rollerball" in theaters (it had an R rating)… But when I did the first time in its uncut version (where we lived we received one station from Canada- CHCH, which showed its movies uncut) I was blown away by the violence. I was too young to understand all of the political undertones, but the level of violence was stunning.

Was old enough to go see "The Warriors" and made such an impression I had to go see it again a few nights later.
Yeah I never get tired watching these movies.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah those movies were awesome. I heard a funny thing about Rollerball. during the lunch breaks for the movie, the stuntmen were actually playing the game.The director also wanted it to be a sport that was so horrifying,repulsive, and violent to turn people off,but people were telling him they were all excited telling him they wanted to make their own leagues.LOL!!

I remember one of the local newspapers doing an article on "The rules of the game". They went into great detail laying out the strategy of the game along with what the players did.

I'm actually somewhat surprised no current version of the game exists... Obviously it would need to be less violent, but I could see it as a competitive sport.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I remember one of the local newspapers doing an article on "The rules of the game". They went into great detail laying out the strategy of the game along with what the players did.

I'm actually somewhat surprised no current version of the game exists... Obviously it would need to be less violent, but I could see it as a competitive sport.
"Rule #1: Don't talk about Rollerball."

timb2

Reaction score

I would watch it

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Psychotronic Man is clearly getting shafted and I can't, for the life of me, understand why...
The appreciation for fine cinema has declined drastically over the years. Pro Basketball Hall of Famer Charles Barkley said it best. "It's turrible." :grin:

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I'm not going to give you my top 5 as much as I will give you 5 that COULD be. They at least deserve consideration. In no particular order:

1. The Shawshank Redemption: I really can't stand Tim Robbins politically but he has played two of the greatest characters in cinema. He and Morgan Freeman own this movie and it is storytelling on screen at its finest. The supporting cast was brilliant as well. Well acted, good script. Entertaining to no end. I can catch it on TV at any point and will watch it through to the end. I assume I'm not the only one since it's always on.

2. Man On Fire: Denzel at his most Denzeliest. Solid story. Ok-to-good acting. But what made this movie is the way it was filmed. This was like a clinic in cinematic storytelling through camera work, editing and sound/scoring. I've read this book and it's pretty dang good, but it's one of those rare cases where the movie was better.

3. Bull Durham: I know the guy is a terrible actor, but I have a soft spot for Costner films anyway. Tin Cup. For the Love of the Game. Dances with Wolves. The Untouchables. (not Draft Day, that was crap). This one was his best. I'm a huge baseball nut, which helps. The other of Robbins' great characters. So many one-liners. A lighthearted movie that just delivers and is re-watchable even 30 years later.

4. Good Will Hunting: Such a great film. Ben Affleck's best role (because he pretty much sucks). Damon was dang good. Williams was brilliant (damn, I miss that guy). A good script. The idea that some downtrodden nobody with zero advantages in life can be this brilliant mind and figure out the keys to happiness really resonates. The secondary story with Williams dealing with his baggage just adds the depth that pushes it over the top.

5. Role Models: This movie probably doesn't belong on this list. But I'm a fan of Paul Rudd, and not just because I partied with him and the band Rush one time. This script is very cookie-cutter and the acting pretty mediocre, but dang if it isn't funny and goofy and just watchable. You could probably put Superbad or the first American Pie up here as funny movies that are pretty stupid but you just like to watch and resonated from the first time you watched them.

Anyway, not a very scientific list or even much of a list, just some thoughts on some movies that I like.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm not going to give you my top 5 as much as I will give you 5 that COULD be. They at least deserve consideration. In no particular order:

1. The Shawshank Redemption: I really can't stand Tim Robbins politically but he has played two of the greatest characters in cinema. He and Morgan Freeman own this movie and it is storytelling on screen at its finest. The supporting cast was brilliant as well. Well acted, good script. Entertaining to no end. I can catch it on TV at any point and will watch it through to the end. I assume I'm not the only one since it's always on.

2. Man On Fire: Denzel at his most Denzeliest. Solid story. Ok-to-good acting. But what made this movie is the way it was filmed. This was like a clinic in cinematic storytelling through camera work, editing and sound/scoring. I've read this book and it's pretty dang good, but it's one of those rare cases where the movie was better.

3. Bull Durham: I know the guy is a terrible actor, but I have a soft spot for Costner films anyway. Tin Cup. For the Love of the Game. Dances with Wolves. The Untouchables. (not Draft Day, that was crap). This one was his best. I'm a huge baseball nut, which helps. The other of Robbins' great characters. So many one-liners. A lighthearted movie that just delivers and is re-watchable even 30 years later.

4. Good Will Hunting: Such a great film. Ben Affleck's best role (because he pretty much sucks). Damon was dang good. Williams was brilliant (damn, I miss that guy). A good script. The idea that some downtrodden nobody with zero advantages in life can be this brilliant mind and figure out the keys to happiness really resonates. The secondary story with Williams dealing with his baggage just adds the depth that pushes it over the top.

5. Role Models: This movie probably doesn't belong on this list. But I'm a fan of Paul Rudd, and not just because I partied with him and the band Rush one time. This script is very cookie-cutter and the acting pretty mediocre, but dang if it isn't funny and goofy and just watchable. You could probably put Superbad or the first American Pie up here as funny movies that are pretty stupid but you just like to watch and resonated from the first time you watched them.

Anyway, not a very scientific list or even much of a list, just some thoughts on some movies that I like.
I just watched Role Models again a few days ago. It's even funnier the second time!

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I cannot believe you left out Waterworld!!!