Reaction score
How about all those Katy Morgan movies :omg:
I had to look her up on IMDB...
giphy.gif

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some take umberage at Wayne because he wasn't a good actor... Which he wasn't. Daniel Day Lewis he wasn't. But he was a hell-of-an entertaining actor. Guys like him, Clint, Charles Bronson didn't have to be great actors. They were just entertained the bejesus out of us.
John Wayne was a better actor in his early career before he became such a big star and the typecasting took over. I didn't want to see him act, I wanted him to be "the Duke". I remember when he got killed off early "The Cowboys" people were really pissed and some even walked out of the theater. He's John Wayne, he cannot die!

There are a lot of actors that become larger than the roles they play like Cruse, Eastwood, Schwartzenegger, Stallone, Bronson and Willis and we expect certain things form them. But I have seen them do breakaway roles where they're not depended on to carry the film like Cruise in "Magnolia" and Stallone in "Cop Land". Eastwood has tried some split off roles but they just didn't work, he can't be anything but Clint. He tried those "Every Which Way" movies and they really weren't successful because he's not much of a comedic actor. He got upstaged by Ruth Gordon and Clyde the orangutan.

Daniel Day-Lewis and to a certain degree, De Niro, used to disappear into his roles.

It's tough for the actors that have made it because they get roles written around their persona because Hollywood knows what sells. Or they get part of their schtick written into the film and when was the last time we saw Nolte or Pacino and didn't expect the required yelling?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sci-fi aka Creature Feature Little Creature category
Alien
Aliens
Predator
The Thing
Pitch Black

Big Creature
King Kong, the Peter Jackson version
Kong
Godzilla, the latest one
Jurassic Park
The Great Wall, some really artful cinematography

And I prefer the extended versions because if I am entertained, I am not on the clock. Editing out parts of Alien and King Kong was dumb.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best movie with the goofiest name, and another favorite of mine, is "Cowboys vs Aliens". That movie had a hell of a lot going on in it and they managed to pull that off really well. That name was something I would have expected when I was a kid and, of course, would have seen it several times the first time.

Did you do that as a kid? Stay in the theater and watch the movie again? If the theater wasn't sold out, they wouldn't run us out because they figured we'd be good at the concessions stand again. In fact, I planned my second meal in advance for the second showing. There are some movies I watched 3 times in a row, mainly any Jerry Lewis film or creature feature and those are one in the same to some people as he was an acquired taste but I watched "The Nutty Professor" 4 times in a row the first time I saw it. Which could explain a lot. LMAO, my parents didn't care for him and dreaded me coming home from his latest movie because I would have the dialogue down and doing my best Jerry Lewis impersonation. They didn't need to go to see the movie with their idiot son re-enacting it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Patton
The Godfather
Animal House
The Alamo (John Wayne version)
The Outlaw Josie Wales

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The best movie with the goofiest name, and another favorite of mine, is "Cowboys vs Aliens". That movie had a hell of a lot going on in it and they managed to pull that off really well. That name was something I would have expected when I was a kid and, of course, would have seen it several times the first time.

Did you do that as a kid? Stay in the theater and watch the movie again? If the theater wasn't sold out, they wouldn't run us out because they figured we'd be good at the concessions stand again. In fact, I planned my second meal in advance for the second showing. There are some movies I watched 3 times in a row, mainly any Jerry Lewis film or creature feature and those are one in the same to some people as he was an acquired taste but I watched "The Nutty Professor" 4 times in a row the first time I saw it. Which could explain a lot. LMAO, my parents didn't care for him and dreaded me coming home from his latest movie because I would have the dialogue down and doing my best Jerry Lewis impersonation. They didn't need to go to see the movie with their idiot son re-enacting it.
Cowboys vs. Aliens was a surprisingly good flick. Not in the Oscar department, but very fun, and so much better than I'd expected, even if we didn't get to see what's her name naked. (I would have remembered her name then!)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Patton
The Godfather
Animal House
The Alamo (John Wayne version)
The Outlaw Josie Wales
Yep Godfather holds 2 spots in my top 5 dramas. One of the few examples of a sequel being as good, if not better, than the original. It really takes an artful hand at directing to make films that long and not have the audience shifting in their seats and that was accomplished with both, I didn't want either to end.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys vs. Aliens was a surprisingly good flick. Not in the Oscar department, but very fun, and so much better than I'd expected, even if we didn't get to see what's her name naked. (I would have remembered her name then!)
I thought it was really well made and the casting was dead on. There were enough recognizable names to get people to go see it with such an odd name for a movie.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I thought it was really well made and the casting was dead on. There were enough recognizable names to get people to go see it with such an odd name for a movie.
Yeah, the name just assured that I wasn't going to the theater to see it.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I’ll do a top 5 for each decade since the 60’s. Top 5 ever is too difficult. My fat *** has seen way too many movies to do that.

My favorite type of movies are films that could be considered fresh; new ideas, never-been-done-before-characters, unique ideas. I don’t want to take into account genre, rating... just whether it’s a good movie or not for what it is.

1960’s

2001: A Space Oddesy
L’Avventura
Psycho
Planet of the Apes
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

1970’s

The Godfather
A Clockwork Orange
The Godfather Part ii
Apocalypse Now
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest

1980’s

This will be the toughest decade for me because there are a ton of fun, action packed blockbusters and they all kind of blur together, making the 80’s the crazy decade it was.

The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Back to the Future
Aliens
Indiana Jones and the Raider of the Lost Ark

1990’s

Pulp Fiction
Forest Gump
The Silence of the Lambs
Fight Club
The Shawshank Redemption
American Beauty
Saving Private Ryan
Titanic
Goodfellas
The Sixth Sense

That’s 5 x 2

2000’s

No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Slumdog Millionaire
Ratatouille
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

2010s

The Social Network
Inception
La La Land
Gone Girl
Toy Story 3

That’s the best I can do.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Godfather
Godfather 2
Goodfellas
Reservoir Dogs
Jaws
Exactly what I would have expected out of you... except for that closet love for Legally Blonde, but I won't tell anybody! Plomise!