What are your Top 5 War films?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are two mini series movies I try to watch at least once a year.

Band of Brothers and Shogun

So those two will always be at the top for me.

Most of my favorites have been mentioned so here are a few others that I still like

The Great Escape
Memphis Belle
U-571
The Devil's Brigade
Platoon
Hamburger Hill
The Dirty Dozen
Glory
Master and Commander
Enemy at the Gates
Kingdom of Heaven
Bat 21
Seige of Firebase Gloria
Flight of the Intruder

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are two mini series movies I try to watch at least once a year.
Seige of Firebase Gloria

"Siege" is a pretty darned good movie.

I don't think it's ever been released on DVD and you rarely see it on TV.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
1- Apocalypse Now
2- Full Metal Jacket
3- Platoon
4-The Enemy Below
5-Saving Private Ryan
6-A Bridge Too Far
7-We Were Soldiers
8-Schindler's List
9-Midway
10-The Longest Day
11-Das Boot
12-Lawrence of Arabia
13-Patton

In no particular order
yes I cheated because those are all great

DFWJC

Reaction score
I guess if a great movie built around a side story that just happened to occur during a war counts....like the amazing Schilder's List.....then maybe Papillion too?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
  1. Star Wars
  2. Starship Troopers
  3. Operation Petticoat
  4. Good Morning Vietnam
  5. Stripes

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Another David Lean movie which could be added (he directed Bridge Over the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia) is Doctor Zhivago, the wars, in this case, being both the Russian Revolution and the following civil war.

David Lean and Lawrence of Arabia were the main inspirations behind Steven Spielberg's desire to be a filmmaker. He did a complete restoration of the film and many interviews of his can be found where he talks repeatedly about the genius of Lean.

I just went back through the previous few pages, guys on here listed a lot of great movies, some i'd forgotten, and i was reminded of just how good they were.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I guess if a great movie built around a side story that just happened to occur during a war counts....like the amazing Schilder's List.....then maybe Papillion too?
Its all open to interpretation really. Many different could constitute a war movie. Zero Dark Thirty is another example

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
The late Bill Paxton did one "a bright shining lie" where he got in on the very beginning of Vietnam, he was popping Viet Cong from a Huey with a M-1 garand.
Also, I can't recall the name(I have the DVD)
The guy who played batman( I think )was a downed pilot p.o.w. in Nam and his escape partner is the dude who played the role of Augustus McCrae in the lonesome dove remake(he dies) but it was funny when he finally gets rescued and is helicoptered out ,the crew chief pulls a dead snake off him he'd been eating and does the wiggy-jiggy dance,,,hilarious.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Or Lone Survivor.
I read that book first ,then saw the movie,to me the book is always better in the minds eye view!
Absolutely amazing how every time he kept getting blown further down the mountain side from RPG's
His rifle was ALWAYS laying there at his feet or within arms reach,he said in the book that the lord god almighty himself was placing it there as he took 5-6 pretty steep long tumbles that should've proven impossible to maintain his weapon any other way BUT from divine guidance from above.