What books have you been reading?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"The Men Who Died Watching The Lifetime Channel". Long, veeeeeerrrrrrrry loooooooonnnnnnnng.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Just got Golding's Lord of the Flies from Amazon. Will be reading it in tandem with my son (I've already read it, but several years ago -- it is required reading for him. I want to be brushed up for his essay questions, so that I can help him)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One Time Warning

Site Rule #7 - You will not post political discussions or comments.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@DallasEast

Can you please elaborate just a bit on how that applies to books? Are we not allowed to mention political books? If so, that's fine, I just want to clarify to prevent any future violations by participants in this thread.
No. However I shall post this particular link to a message that has been stickied in various forms for quite some time for all members to understand:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/rea...itical-protest-etc-posts-on-this-site.408149/

...and this particular passage:

To be clear, this site has no stance, for or against, on politics, protests, etc. As the site owner, I have always believed that all sides of a debate should have their say. However, politics, protests, etc. tend to bring out the worst elements in people, even good people, and that kind of animosity and nastiness is better left to the countless other sites on the internet that welcome those kinds of discussions.

So, to avoid having your account suspended, we ask that you please avoid making posts containing political, protest, etc. comments and content and that includes innuendo and indirect references as well!

lukin2006

Reaction score
I just picked up Empire of Things, it's a pretty interesting read so far on the rise of consumerism dating back to the 15th century and the origin of cotton, tobacco, etc.

Before that I just finished Connectography, absolutely a must read for anyone interested in geopolitics or economics.

Now I know what to get my Dad for Christmas, he loves reading, Empire of Things would be interesting for him.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I pre-ordered this months ago... and it finally arrived yesterday!

Loving it so far.

Leadership: In Turbulent Times

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1476795924/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Are leaders born or made? Where does ambition come from? How does adversity affect the growth of leadership? Does the leader make the times or do the times make the leader?

In Leadership, Goodwin draws upon the four presidents she has studied most closely—Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Lyndon B. Johnson (in civil rights)—to show how they recognized leadership qualities within themselves and were recognized as leaders by others. By looking back to their first entries into public life, we encounter them at a time when their paths were filled with confusion, fear, and hope.

Leadership tells the story of how they all collided with dramatic reversals that disrupted their lives and threatened to shatter forever their ambitions. Nonetheless, they all emerged fitted to confront the contours and dilemmas of their times.

No common pattern describes the trajectory of leadership. Although set apart in background, abilities, and temperament, these men shared a fierce ambition and a deep-seated resilience that enabled them to surmount uncommon hardships. At their best, all four were guided by a sense of moral purpose. At moments of great challenge, they were able to summon their talents to enlarge the opportunities and lives of others.

This seminal work provides an accessible and essential road map for aspiring and established leaders in every field. In today’s polarized world, these stories of authentic leadership in times of apprehension and fracture take on a singular urgency.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Now I know what to get my Dad for Christmas, he loves reading, Empire of Things would be interesting for him.
That book was absolutely fantastic. I still cite it to this day in meetings with clients for historical context. A must read for people interested in history & geopolitics/trade. Or people interested simply in understanding how the world today came to be.

Hope he enjoys it

lukin2006

Reaction score
That book was absolutely fantastic. I still cite it to this day in meetings with clients for historical context. A must read for people interested in history & geopolitics/trade. Or people interested simply in understanding how the world today came to be.

Hope he enjoys it

Yes, he will. I can not remember the book name, but he was really doing a lot of reading into the history of cotton. So I think that book will be right up his alley.

Big_D

Reaction score
I'm currently reading The City of Mirrors. Book 3 in a trilogy by author Justin Cronin. Definitely worth checking out. The Passage is being turned into a series on Fox due out I think in November?

The Passage
The Twelve
The City of Mirrors

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I'm currently reading The City of Mirrors. Book 3 in a trilogy by author Justin Cronin. Definitely worth checking out. The Passage is being turned into a series on Fox due out I think in November?

The Passage
The Twelve
The City of Mirrors
I read that series last year. It is excellent.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Currently reading

Official Truth, 101 Proof: The Inside Story of Pantera by Rex Brown

51EusrQho5L.jpg

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I started A Fire Upon the Deep and it's been engrossing so far. I'm still lazily working my way through the NPR Sci-Fi Fantasy list that will probably take me the rest of my life.

# 1 The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
# 2 The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
# 3 Ender's Game
# 4 The Dune Chronicles
# 5 A Song of Ice and Fire Series
# 6 1984
# 7 Fahrenheit 451
# 8 The Foundation Trilogy
# 9 Brave New World
# 10 American Gods

# 11 The Princess Bride
# 12 The Wheel of Time Series
# 13 Animal Farm
# 14 Neuromancer
# 15 Watchmen

# 16 I, Robot
#17 Stanger in a Stange Land
# 18 The Kingkiller Chronicle
# 19 Slaughter House Five
# 20 Frankenstein
# 21 Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
# 22 The Handmaid's Tale
# 23 The Dark Tower Series

# 24 2001: A Space Odyssey (novel)
# 25 The Stand
# 26 Snow Crash
# 27 The Martian Chronicles
# 28 Cat's Cradle
# 29 The Sandman Series
# 30 A Clockwork Orange
# 31 Starship Troopers
# 32 Watership Down

# 33 Dragonflight
# 34 The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
# 35 A Canticle for Leibowitz
# 36 The Time Machine

# 37 20,000 Leagues under the Sea
# 38 Flowers for Algernon
# 39 The War of the Worlds
# 40 The Amber Chronicles
# 41 Riva (The Belgariad)
# 42 The Mists of Avalon
# 43 Mistborn Trilogy
# 44 Ringworld

# 45 The Left Hand of Darkness
# 46 The Silmarillion
# 47 The Once and Future King
# 48 Neverwhere
# 49 Childhood's End
# 50 Contact
# 51 The Hyperion Cantos
# 52 Stardust
# 53 Cryptonomicon
# 54 World War Z
# 55 The Last Unicorn
# 56 The Forever War
# 57 Small Gods
# 58 The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
# 59 Vorkosigan Saga
# 60 Going Postal
# 61 The Mote in God's Eye

# 62 The Sword of Truth Series
# 63 The Road
# 64 Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
# 65 I Am Legend
# 66 The Riftwar Saga
# 67 The Sword of Shannara
# 68 Conan the Barbarian
# 69 Farseer Trilogy
# 70 The Time Traveler's Wife
# 71 The Way of Kings
# 72 Journey to the Center of the Earth
# 73 The Legend of Drizzt Series
# 74 Old Man's War
# 75 The Diamond Age
# 76 Rendezvous with Rama
# 77 The Kushiel's Legacy Series
# 78 The Dispossessed
# 79 Something Wicked This Way Comes
# 80 Wicked
# 81 The Malazan Book of the Fallen Series
# 82 The Eyre Affair
# 83 The Culture Series
# 84 The Crystal Cave
# 85 Anathem
# 86 The Codex Alera Series
# 87 The Book of the New Sun
# 88 Thrawn trilogy
# 89 The Outlander Series
# 90 The Elric Saga
# 91 The Illustrated Man
# 92 Sunshine
# 93 A Fire Upon the Deep
# 94 The Caves of Steel
# 95 Mars trilogy
# 96 Lucifer's Hammer
# 97 Doomsday Book
# 98 Perdido Street Station
# 99 The Xanth Series
# 100 The Space Trilogy

Last edited:

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Cartel by Don Winslow. It's part II of his cartel series following up The Power Of The Dog. Both are great books with lots of blood and violence. I'm a big Wislow fan and got turned on to him after reading Savages.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I started A Fire Upon the Deep and it's been engrossing so far. I'm still lazily working my way through the NPR Sci-Fi Fantasy list that will probably take me the rest of my life.

There's some great books in that list. If I was picking two for you to read next it would be The Road because McCarthy is a genius, and The Wheel Of Time because it's just epic.