What books have you been reading?

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Cookbooks. I have quite a few that I have never prepared one recipe from but I liked them. They're short and concise.

Try Texas Cowboy Cooking by Tom Perini who owns Perini Steakhouse in Buffalo Gap TX. It's one of my favorite cook books and the recipes are pretty straight forward. I bought this book for two recipes, the Zucchini Perini and the Perini Ranch Green Chili Hominy, but I've made nearly everything in it. Even the drink recipes are really good.

aria

Reaction score
So I just switched up the genre a bit and bought Stephen Kings The Oustider about 5 days ago. If it weren’t for a 3 day “distraction” I would already be done with it. So far it’s great, if I remember I’ll give my final thoughts on it when I finish.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Currently half way through "The World as it is:A memoir of of the Obama White House" by Ben Rhodes.

A lot of great insights and takes never revealed before. A must read for anyone who either likes Obama, hates him, or enjoys history. It is surprisingly impartial.

FineFan

Reaction score
At present I'm reading "the Shack" by William Paul Young. It's very well written. Basically it's about a man's daughter who is abducted during a family vacation. Evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an old shack which is in the deep wilderness area of Oregon. After a few years the man receives a shocking note apparently from God, asking the man to meet him over the weekend at " the Shack!"

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I just picked up Empire of Things, it's a pretty interesting read so far on the rise of consumerism dating back to the 15th century and the origin of cotton, tobacco, etc.

Before that I just finished Connectography, absolutely a must read for anyone interested in geopolitics or economics.

I mostly read the classics. I own very few books by contemporary authors.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Re-reading Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. Its satirical and hilarious. One of the best I've ever read. If you like Vonnegut try it out (ordered some more Vonneguts I hadn't read yet this week, wooot). Think I'll read Asimovs "Foundation" series next since I haven't read it before and I'm a big sci fi guy.

I also read a lot of books on mindset, thinking, etc. Napoleon Hill is a favorite of mine. Just a brilliant dude.

Currently reading "Thinking Fast and Slow" by Kahneman and "Algorithms to Live By: Computer Science of Human Decisions". I think they're both really good.

Have a stack of others I'm working through if anyone's interested.

aria

Reaction score
I finished up The Outsider. It’s a classic Stephen King mystery/thriller. If you liked with the Mr Mercedes/Finders Keepers/End of Watch trilogy then you won’t be disappointed. There are even references and characters from that trilogy that make reappearances. Solid book.

Next up...LOLITA by Vladimir Nabokov. I can’t wait, lots of different feelings about this book but it consistently shows up as a “must read” and is on several top 50 book lists. Read it yet @Trouty?

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I finished up The Outsider. It’s a classic Stephen King mystery/thriller. If you liked with the Mr Mercedes/Finders Keepers/End of Watch trilogy then you won’t be disappointed. There are even references and characters from that trilogy that make reappearances. Solid book.

Next up...LOLITA by Vladimir Nabokov. I can’t wait, lots of different feelings about this book but it consistently shows up as a “must read” and is on several top 50 book lists. Read it yet @Trouty?
I have not read it, but it's high on my list, Aria. Essential reading for any Russian lit buff, for sure. Hell, anyone interested in historical fiction, period.

I think I read The Outsider, was that when he was using pseudonyms like with Running Man?

aria

Reaction score
Alao, too lazy to look so I may have forgot to mention it, but I passed it in the book store today and wanted to bring it up for the history buffs.

Crazy Horse and Custer by Stephen A Ambrose is another very, very solid book that I highly recommend. IIRC it switches back and forth between both viewpoints of the Native Americans and Americans. Do yourself a favor and read this gem if you’re interested in Little Bighorn.

aria

Reaction score
I have not read it, but it's high on my list, Aria. Essential reading for any Russian lit buff, for sure. Hell, anyone interested in historical fiction, period.

I think I read The Outsider, was that when he was using pseudonyms like with Running Man?
Not that I recall but allegedly most people only remember 10% of what they read (otherwise I’d be a friggin history guru). It just came out a few months ago so unless you recently read it then it’s not the one you’re thinking about.

I easily see a series made out of this book but unfortunately SK isn’t getting any younger.

aria

Reaction score

BTW, I passed by, then went back to and stared at Anna Karenina for about 5 mins before I decided I wasn’t up for that beast yet having just read War and Peace. It’s on my list but will be there for awhile, haha.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
BTW, I passed by, then went back to and stared at Anna Karenina for about 5 mins before I decided I wasn’t up for that beast yet having just read War and Peace. It’s on my list but will be there for awhile, haha.
It is thick, but it is such an easy read. You wont put it down, we're not talking Infinite Jest/David Foster Wallace-work pushing through. It is seamless. Like reading two very well written "normal length" novels.

When you do get to it, you wont be disappointed, or ever feel daunted

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Not that I recall but allegedly most people only remember 10% of what they read (otherwise I’d be a friggin history guru). It just came out a few months ago so unless you recently read it then it’s not the one you’re thinking about.

I easily see a series made out of this book but unfortunately SK isn’t getting any younger.
Definitely not the King novel I was thinking of. We'll chalk that one up to the 10% rule, there, Aria :)

cowboyec

Reaction score
working on Dallas Cowboys In The Hall of Fame by David Thomas...excellent read...though Im not done,I HIGHLY recommend it.

next up:The Last Cowboy:a life of Tom Landry by Mark Ribowski...really curious to see what it says.Ive read ALL of Bob St Johns books on Coach...plus Coach's auto-biography...so Im anxious to finish the hall of fame book and dive into this one.

jsb357

Reaction score
I'm not a reader.

I can count the books I've read in my life on two hands.

Not counting textbooks and technical reference books.

Animal Farm
Fahrenheit 451
one John Grisham book (can't remember title)
and a few others

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Currently reading "Traitor to His Class: The Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of FDR" and "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt"