What books have you been reading?

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I'm in talks with a professor I am close with to work on a paper/book about the role social media has played in the consolidation of big brands. At this point there are about 15-20 company's that run probably about 80-90% of all consumer products. It is more concerning that the wealth concentration in the 1% as the Occupy movement was protesting a few years ago. I fear that the entire corporate world is going to continue consolidating to the point where we have almost no privacy.
by the year 2030 things will be very interesting.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Just finished 11-22-63 by Stephen King. I really enjoyed it. It's not your usual King book. It involves time travel and the Kennedy Assassination.

I understand Hulu has a series based off the book. I'll have to check it out.
Never read the book but couldn't get into the series. Really loved the premise so it is quite unfortunate.

aria

Reaction score
On a separate note. Hopefully this doesn’t offend anyone and if it does I apologize in advance but have any of you read Mein Kampf? I’ve only talked to one or two history buffs that have read it and would like to get other opinions.

For the same reason I’ve read quite a few religeous texts, I’m just very curious what specifically was written in a book that could cause so many strong feelings, reactions and beliefs. I guess I really want to know if it was interesting at all or if it was a bore. I also believe there are different translations so any info there would be appreciated as well.

If I ever do read it it will be a ways off, I have plenty of other books but it’s been on my radar ever since I started getting into WWII a few years ago.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
On a separate note. Hopefully this doesn’t offend anyone and if it does I apologize in advance but have any of you read Mein Kampf? I’ve only talked to one or two history buffs that have read it and would like to get other opinions.

For the same reason I’ve read quite a few religeous texts, I’m just very curious what specifically was written in a book that could cause so many strong feelings, reactions and beliefs. I guess I really want to know if it was interesting at all or if it was a bore. I also believe there are different translations so any info there would be appreciated as well.

If I ever do read it it will be a ways off, I have plenty of other books but it’s been on my radar ever since I started getting into WWII a few years ago.
I’ve read Mein Kampf. Back in HS. I wrote a biography on Hitler for my German class (language, not history; my teacher, Mrs. Martz, wasn’t amused, as it was such a deviation from for her intended German language essay-topic). I don’t remember enough to have any real input, other than it seemed scattered-minded. There was no doubting, then and now, it’s historical relevance and thus a compelling read, Aria.

aria

Reaction score
I’ve read Mein Kampf. Back in HS. I wrote a biography on Hitler for my German class (language, not history; my teacher, Mrs. Martz, wasn’t amused, as it was such a deviation from for her intended German language essay-topic). I don’t remember enough to have any real input, other than it seemed scattered-minded. There was no doubting, then and now, it’s historical relevance and thus a compelling read, Aria.
Hahaha...I po’d a lot of my teachers as well, specifically art, English and JROTC by doing pieces/reports/eassays/presentations primarily on Ted Bundy but also Gacy. If that was now a days, I’m sure I would be interrogated by the FBI and kicked out of school.

What they did was atrocious and I feel for the victims and their families but how they got away with it for so long and how they killed so many people is it what fascinates me. Plus, Ted Bundy once escaped by jumping out of a courthouse window, seriously how the hell does that happen?

To keep it relevant, I’ll see if I can figure out some of the books I’ve read. I want to say there was a pretty good one on Bundy that I’ve read in the past 10-15 years.

Edit: Just found it, it’s been a little longer than 15 years but its called “The Only Living Witness”. It’s obviously been a long time but I recall already knowing quite a bit but, as I said, I did a fair amount of research on him back in the day. The author(s) interview Bundy and go back into his childhood as well IIRC which makes it pretty interesting.

Last edited:

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Crossers by Phillip Caputo. Great book about the violence surrounding a family running a ranch on the Arizona/Mexico border.

A Rumor Of War also by Phillip Caputo - A Vietnam memoir and a bloody one.

aria

Reaction score
Crossers by Phillip Caputo. Great book about the violence surrounding a family running a ranch on the Arizona/Mexico border.

A Rumor Of War also by Phillip Caputo - A Vietnam memoir and a bloody one.
Those sound interesting, I assume Crossers is non fiction?

Big_D

Reaction score
Just finished 11-22-63 by Stephen King. I really enjoyed it. It's not your usual King book. It involves time travel and the Kennedy Assassination.

I understand Hulu has a series based off the book. I'll have to check it out.

Not what I expected when I started reading it. But it definitely was one of my favorites. Just an interesting hypothetical situation surrounded by one of the biggest events in history. Great book. Which is why I was excited about watching the series. It has it's moments, but it just felt rushed. And of course they change some things. In this situation they changed some key things which also didn't help. Just too much going on in the book to try to squeeze into a mini series. The book is always better and that is very true in this case.

Big_D

Reaction score
Currently reading ..

origin-186705585.jpg

Big_D

Reaction score
Dang, I wish I kept a rating system of all the books I’ve read. Unfortunately, I don’t remember a lot of them but here are some that stand out and are related to Native Americans.

-Empire of the Summer Moon (S.C Gwynn)- great book about Quanah Parker and the Comanches

*Rebel Yell (same author)- nothing to do with native americans but is one of the best books I’ve read in recent memory about Stonewall Jackson, highly recommended.

-Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee- pretty good book but it’s been a loooong while since I’ve read it; a large focus on how the military screwed over the Natives IIRC

-The Heart of Everything that Is- about Red Cloud; I believe it also covers a decent portion of the Fort Fetterman Massacre which is a very interesting subject in its own right

- Terry C Jonston Plainsman series- historical fiction in which he centers the series around a fictional character but I believe all of the battles, major participants (ie Custer, Red Cloud, Sitting Bull, etc) are accurately portrayed. I read most of the books in this series over 15 years ago, stopped for some odd reason and never went back but I recall it being very captivating and covers a variety of different tribes and battles and I THINK he covers both points of view throughout each book (native american and U.S military side)

here’s a link, it’s best to read them in order (Plainsman series that is)

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/terry-c-johnston/

I'll have to check these out .. big fan of historical fiction.

goodreads.com is a great site to keep track of books, rate and much more. I used to do that on barnes and noble but their website was crap. I have a list of what I read, favorites, want to read etc.. helpful and nice to keep track if you read a lot.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Just finished the second book in the Themis Files series. Very good series.

25733990.jpg
30134847.jpg
35820656.jpg

I'll probably read something else before I read the third book.

aria

Reaction score
I'll have to check these out .. big fan of historical fiction.

goodreads.com is a great site to keep track of books, rate and much more. I used to do that on barnes and noble but their website was crap. I have a list of what I read, favorites, want to read etc.. helpful and nice to keep track if you read a lot.
Good to hear, those are all good but in case you missed my other post, check out Jeff Shaara, he’s probably my favorite historical fiction author and covers quite a few wars/battles.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reading an old Robert Ludlum book, titled The Parsifal Mosaic. Good yarn if you like spy novels.
I read so many of his books in a row that I started getting confused with the characters but he was great. I had this tendency to get on an author and binge read their works. Did that with Ludlum, Ian Fleming, Edgar Allen Poe, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Harold Robbins, Stephen King and John Grisham years back.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cookbooks. I have quite a few that I have never prepared one recipe from but I liked them. They're short and concise.

I have Adult ADD that has worsened over time when it comes to getting involved in books, staying with it and not drifting. And I used to like reading a lot and that could actually stimulate me to stay awake better than TV. But no more, the books do not bore me, I just can't stay connected enough to immerse myself in them as I used to like doing.

Now, I envy people that can read books because I've got all of this time I could really read a lot.