What books have you been reading?

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Recently read Dan Simmons' The Terror which is a very good history meets fantasy book. AMC is currently making a series from it.

Currently reading The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams. Old school epic fantasy. Very good so far. I'm sure I'll read the whole trilogy.

jday

Reaction score
My brother has had 7 books published. One of them was a series of short articles he used to write for a magazine. Someone suggested he put them together and publish a book. Something for you to think about.
My wife is constantly telling me I should get paid for it, but I honestly don't know where to begin. Thank you, though, for the kind words and encouragement. I've basically been using this for the practice, the outlet and the conversation, which to me the latter is the best part.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Right now, Underworld by Dan Delillo. White Noise was superb.

Gonna read Purity by Jonathan Franzen next, then finish Infinite Jest (it's been taking me two years on and off) by David Foster Wallace.

Read Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy last year and Beloved by Toni Morrison. Have a few Philip Roth novels on the book shelf I've yet to crack.

I'm a contemporary fiction/historical fiction (18th-19th century English and American) nut. Also adore Russian lit (mainly 19th and early 20th century).

Tried to get into a discussion with someone, anyone about Jonathan Franzen by creating a thread but no one knew who he was :(

These authors write masterpieces.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right now, Underworld by Dan Delillo. White Noise was superb.

Gonna read Purity by Jonathan Franzen next, then finish Infinite Jest (it's been taking me two years on and off) by David Foster Wallace.

Read Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy last year and Beloved by Toni Morrison. Have a few Philip Roth novels on the book shelf I've yet to crack.

I'm a contemporary fiction/historical fiction (18th-19th century English and American) nut. Also adore Russian lit (mainly 19th and early 20th century).

Tried to get into a discussion with someone, anyone about Jonathan Franzen by creating a thread but no one knew who he was :(

These authors write masterpieces.
Sorry buddy, im a football coach. The only thing I've read the last 30 years are playbooks, scouting reports and practice schedules.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Sorry buddy, im a football coach. The only thing I've read the last 30 years are playbooks, scouting reports and practice schedules.
Lol!!

Knowing you, Coach, you would love Cormac McCarthy. He wrote No Country for Old Men, the superb Coen Brothers film of the same name. Zero sentimentalism, graphic content, frontier landscapes, and a deftness with wordplay. Not overly written, but his structure of story is a gift to the American Letters.

Check out Blood Meridian. Its a crazy tale of survival, redemption, and loss. His writing structure is very similar to John Steinbeck (whom, imo, is one of the top 5 American authors of all time), tho his content is even more depressing and is certainly more of a roller coaster ride; not to say Steinbeck's isn't.

Golly, now I want to read East of Eden, again :D

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol!!

Knowing you, Coach, you would love Cormac McCarthy. He wrote No Country for Old Men, the superb Coen Brothers film of the same name. Zero sentimentalism, graphic content, frontier landscapes, and a deftness with wordplay. Not overly written, but his structure of story is a gift to the American Letters.

Check out Blood Meridian. Its a crazy tale of survival, redemption, and loss. His writing structure is very similar to John Steinbeck (whom, imo, is one of the top 5 American authors of all time), tho his content is even more depressing and is certainly more of a roller coaster ride; not to say Steinbeck's isn't.

Might be a new hobby.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
The North Water / Ian McGuire - Really dark book about a whaling ship in the Arctic Circle. Probably the best book I've read this year.

Lost City Of The Monkey God / Douglas Preston - Preston is a horror writer but this one is a true story about his journey into Honduras looking for the lost city. Great book and amazing that there are still places like this on the earth.

The Mosquito Coast / Paul Theroux - Ehh

Astoria / Peter Stark - Still working on this one, but it's been really good so far. I like frontier books and this is a good one about the 1810 Astor expedition to create a colony in the Pacific Northwest and to open the Oregon Trail. I like books like this because it's a reminder of what our forefathers went through to create the country we live in today.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Lol!!

Hey Trouty.
I read McCarthy's "All the Pretty Horses" awhile ago. Have not read "Blood Meridian".
Wouldn't surprise me either if coach liked that author.

And yeah, Steinbeck was brilliant.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Hey Trouty.
I read McCarthy's "All the Pretty Horses" awhile ago. Have not read "Blood Meridian".
Wouldn't surprise me either if coach liked that author.

And yeah, Steinbeck was brilliant.
I have that one on the shelf, too :D In fact, the only two books I have of McCarthy's are Blood Meridian (read) and All the Pretty Horses (unread).

I highly, highly recommend Blood Meridian if you ever get a chance (the time), JC. You'll adore it, friend.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Louis L'Lamour is a god in western fiction, Coach. I've personally never read hims stuff but I know he has a very large, very dedicated following :)

McCarthy is on a whole other level, tho, Coach :)
I kmow, L'Amour is a little cheesy, but I am a Cowboy. My daughter asked me to take her to buy a bool this weekend, ill look up McCarthy