What books have you been reading?

aria

Reaction score
Just got done reading War and Peace. Slow at times but overall a pretty fascinating book that gives a glimpse of Russian aristocracy during the invasion by Napolean. It’s interesting to watch the characters develop and see how the war effects each one throughout the book. There’s also philosophical parts and metaphors that would probably take me reading several times to fully appreciate and understand. *There are also several characters which Tolstoy has different names for the same person so it can be confusing at first but if you power through you’ll eventually figure it out.

I recently just started Life Among The Apaches by John Carey Cremony. So far it’s pretty interesting and is one of, if not the, most extensive documentation of Apache life during ~1850’s and 1860’s.

cowboyec

Reaction score
We Love You Cowboys by Bob St John...covers the '71 season and Super Bowl triumph...and the history of the team.
excellent read.
anything by Bob St John is required reading.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Just got done reading War and Peace. Slow at times but overall a pretty fascinating book that gives a glimpse of Russian aristocracy during the invasion by Napolean. It’s interesting to watch the characters develop and see how the war effects each one throughout the book. There’s also philosophical parts and metaphors that would probably take me reading several times to fully appreciate and understand. *There are also several characters which Tolstoy has different names for the same person so it can be confusing at first but if you power through you’ll eventually figure it out.

I recently just started Life Among The Apaches by John Carey Cremony. So far it’s pretty interesting and is one of, if not the, most extensive documentation of Apache life during ~1850’s and 1860’s.
Aria, this is my favorite novel of all time. Tolstoy is a gift to our world. Anna Karenina is just as good, just as devastating, just not as large in scope.

Tolstoy, Chekov, Dostoevsky, Pasternak. Gosh i love my Russian lit :)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
This is very intriguing, please keep updated on how it is. I'm trying to find a section of history to find books on, American or world. I was leaning Dutch East India Trading Co or the Holy Roman Empire, but the life and doings of American Natives is always a fascinating subject

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
220px-House_of_leaves.jpg

aria

Reaction score
Aria, this is my favorite novel of all time. Tolstoy is a gift to our world. Anna Karenina is just as good, just as devastating, just not as large in scope.

Tolstoy, Chekov, Dostoevsky, Pasternak. Gosh i love my Russian lit :)
I’ll be damned Josh! That’s great to hear about Anna Karenina, it’s interested me and I’ve never talked to anyone who’s read both. Your endorsement is all I need, I’ll add it to my list of many books I want to read.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I’ll be damned Josh! That’s great to hear about Anna Karenina, it’s interested me and I’ve never talked to anyone who’s read both. Your endorsement is all I need, I’ll add it to my list of many books I want to read.
Be sure you get the Penguin addition. The translation (forgot the translator's name, but she's world-class) is superb, sublime, seamless. There's also a family tree in the front of the book for the times when you get confused (as you mentioned when you read War and Peace). You'll know it's the right version when you see it. Go to a book store so you can flip through the pages. The Penguin version is also abridged and annotated with all sorts of anecdotes that are fascinating.

Anna Karenina is a heart breaker, Brad. Just devastating. Zero sentimentalism. Perfection.

Edit -- Also, I refuse to see any Tolstoy-adapted movie. It helps that I read his major works before Hollywood started to butcher his works and go hog-wild with his art. I can't imagine wanting to read a novel of his after all those movies were (supposedly) horribly-rendered. Bless those that still went out to seek his work. I refuse to watch any of that filth. Even if it stars the enchanting Keira Knightley or Hugh Grant...

Last edited:

aria

Reaction score
This is very intriguing, please keep updated on how it is. I'm trying to find a section of history to find books on, American or world. I was leaning Dutch East India Trading Co or the Holy Roman Empire, but the life and doings of American Natives is always a fascinating subject
Dang, I wish I kept a rating system of all the books I’ve read. Unfortunately, I don’t remember a lot of them but here are some that stand out and are related to Native Americans.

-Empire of the Summer Moon (S.C Gwynn)- great book about Quanah Parker and the Comanches

*Rebel Yell (same author)- nothing to do with native americans but is one of the best books I’ve read in recent memory about Stonewall Jackson, highly recommended.

-Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee- pretty good book but it’s been a loooong while since I’ve read it; a large focus on how the military screwed over the Natives IIRC

-The Heart of Everything that Is- about Red Cloud; I believe it also covers a decent portion of the Fort Fetterman Massacre which is a very interesting subject in its own right

- Terry C Jonston Plainsman series- historical fiction in which he centers the series around a fictional character but I believe all of the battles, major participants (ie Custer, Red Cloud, Sitting Bull, etc) are accurately portrayed. I read most of the books in this series over 15 years ago, stopped for some odd reason and never went back but I recall it being very captivating and covers a variety of different tribes and battles and I THINK he covers both points of view throughout each book (native american and U.S military side)

here’s a link, it’s best to read them in order (Plainsman series that is)

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/terry-c-johnston/

aria

Reaction score
Be sure you get the Penguin addition. The translation (forgot the translator's name, but she's world-class) is superb, sublime, seamless. There's also a family tree in the front of the book for the times when you get confused (as you mentioned when you read War and Peace). You'll know it's the right version when you see it. Go to a book store so you can flip through the pages. The Penguin version is also abridged and annotated with all sorts of anecdotes that are fascinating.

Anna Karenina is a heart breaker, Brad. Just devastating. Zero sentimentalism. Perfection.

Edit -- Also, I refuse to see any Tolstoy-adapted movie. It helps that I read his major works before Hollywood started to butcher his works and go hog-wild with his art. I can't imagine wanting to read a novel of his after all those movies were (supposedly) horribly-rendered. Bless those that still went out to seek his work. I refuse to watch any of that filth. Even if it stars the enchanting Keira Knightley or Hugh Grant...
Thanks for that info, I was actually going to ask you. When reading reviews of his books, different translations/editions always come up and I never know what to believe. Again, great to hear a recommendation directly from someone who has read it. Very, very good to know.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Dang, I wish I kept a rating system of all the books I’ve read. Unfortunately, I don’t remember a lot of them but here are some that stand out and are related to Native Americans.

-Empire of the Summer Moon (S.C Gwynn)- great book about Quanah Parker and the Comanches

*Rebel Yell (same author)- nothing to do with native americans but is one of the best books I’ve read in recent memory about Stonewall Jackson, highly recommended.

-Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee- pretty good book but it’s been a loooong while since I’ve read it; a large focus on how the military screwed over the Natives IIRC

-The Heart of Everything that Is- about Red Cloud; I believe it also covers a decent portion of the Fort Fetterman Massacre which is a very interesting subject in its own right

- Terry C Jonston Plainsman series- historical fiction in which he centers the series around a fictional character but I believe all of the battles, major participants (ie Custer, Red Cloud, Sitting Bull, etc) are accurately portrayed. I read most of the books in this series over 15 years ago, stopped for some odd reason and never went back but I recall it being very captivating and covers a variety of different tribes and battles and I THINK he covers both points of view throughout each book (native american and U.S military side)

Oh wow!!! Thanks, Brad! I will use this list as a reference point when purchasing a book on the subject. Thank you so much for the time you spent putting this together. I think this subject will be my first foray into a genre in history as I've been searching for one, as I previously mentioned.

Also, it's messing w my OCD --- "abridged" should not be in my above post to you. I got it confused with "indexed"

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Thanks for that info, I was actually going to ask you. When reading reviews of his books, different translations/editions always come up and I never know what to believe. Again, great to hear a recommendation directly from someone who has read it. Very, very good to know.
The translation literally makes or breaks works from Russian authors. To nail the slang, the prose-structure as intended by author, idioms, etc... it takes a master. It's an art in and of itself.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

This is all non-fiction, correct, Aria?

aria

Reaction score
This is all non-fiction, correct, Aria?
Yeah, I believe all but the Terry C Johnston series which is still very close.

Being a history major, I’m pretty anal about historical accuracy in the books I read but some of my favorite authors (ie Jeff Shaara) write historical fiction which is good enough for me. Like Johnston, he may have one or two fictional characters to center the books around but he does a lot of research to make everything as historically accurate as possible. Even the dialogue between two real characters (ie Churchill and Eisenhower) may not be verbatim but it is based off quotes, diaries, etc to make it as close as possible.

Speaking of which, if you want to read about different historical subjects ranging from the Civil War to WWII to the Korean War to the Revolutionary War then I strongly recommend Jeff Shaara. Just google his name to see what books he’s done but be sure to pay attention, he’s done a few trilogies so it’s best to read them in order. If it weren’t for him and Stephen Ambrose I probably would have never gained as much interest in WWII as I have. Unfortunately I’ve read all of his books so he needs to get to work :)

Side note: Jeff’s dad is Michael Shaara who wrote Killer Angels (movie Gettysburg is based off of this) and Jeff finished up the trilogy with the prequel, Gods and General, and the final book The Last Full Measure after his dad died. All are excellent.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I'm about to pickup I'm Right and you're an Idiot. Catchy title, but it's supposed to be a really good book on the breakdown of public discourse. I'm really interested to see the role social media has in the demise.

* :huh:,,,:huh:,,,:huh:,,,so, yer' the voice?

* I've yer' AO
zeroed-in after monitoring yer' feeble outpost of posting around here,pal!
Perhaps a more : genteel persona
would 'lend' an on-rush of friendly Henry's upon yer' beleaguered positions,Friendo_O

:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Yes, I have read Swan Song. Another one of my all-time favorite books. Along with Stephen King's The Stand.
Yer'_a regular rompin' stompin' #1 member of the fold,,, regardless:thumbup:

* who was yer' very best favorit" character",,,in that ,,,?

" THE STAND",,,CASING-LINERS in that scrambled impacted bowel movement of movement Stephen King's and bison cud chewable crap NOT WITHSTANDINGo_O

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Yeah, I believe all but the Terry C Johnston series which is still very close.

Being a history major, I’m pretty anal about historical accuracy in the books I read but some of my favorite authors (ie Jeff Shaara) write historical fiction which is good enough for me. Like Johnston, he may have one or two fictional characters to center the books around but he does a lot of research to make everything as historically accurate as possible. Even the dialogue between two real characters (ie Churchill and Eisenhower) may not be verbatim but it is based off quotes, diaries, etc to make it as close as possible.

Speaking of which, if you want to read about different historical subjects ranging from the Civil War to WWII to the Korean War to the Revolutionary War then I strongly recommend Jeff Shaara. Just google his name to see what books he’s done but be sure to pay attention, he’s done a few trilogies so it’s best to read them in order. If it weren’t for him and Stephen Ambrose I probably would have never gained as much interest in WWII as I have. Unfortunately I’ve read all of his books so he needs to get to work :)

Side note: Jeff’s dad is Michael Shaara who wrote Killer Angels (movie Gettysburg is based off of this) and Jeff finished up the trilogy with the prequel, Gods and General, and the final book The Last Full Measure after his dad died. All are excellent.
Wow, thanks, Aria. I will put his name in my Goodreads list (as I've done with the books in post 168). Jeff Shaara. Really appreciate your feedback, B -- and that's also rad as hell that you're a history major. Are you in law, now? Teaching?

aria

Reaction score
Wow, thanks, Aria. I will put his name in my Goodreads list (as I've done with the books in post 168). Jeff Shaara. Really appreciate your feedback, B -- and that's also rad as hell that you're a history major. Are you in law, now? Teaching?
No, teaching was my back up in case I got hurt. Being a college professor would be cool but I would never want to be a high school or grade school teacher because I suck with kids. I was a TA for my Russian history professor in college but that was it.

Been doing the FF/Paramedic thing for ~16 years now but still read a lot. I mainly read history but also some Stephen King and I’ve been trying to knock out some of the “classics” (ie Moby Dick, Dracula, Frankenstein, Uncle Tom’s Cabin, War and Peace, etc).

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
No, teaching was my back up in case I got hurt. Being a college professor would be cool but I would never want to be a high school or grade school teacher because I suck with kids. I was a TA for my Russian history professor in college but that was it.

Been doing the FF/Paramedic thing for ~16 years now but still read a lot. I mainly read history but also some Stephen King and I’ve been trying to knock out some of the “classics” (ie Moby Dick, Dracula, Frankenstein, Uncle Tom’s Cabin, War and Peace, etc).
Stephen King is a guilty pleasure of every literary “snob” I know, myself included. His Danse Macabre is essential reading, as is his On Writing ... not to mention his many wonderful novels. In It, in the scene when the little boy is killed by his dad with a hammer in the garage, I teared up. One of the very few times any author has illicted that much emotion from me. And it was ******* Stephen King that got that emotion lol :) He’s gifted, there is no questioning it.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Just finished 11-22-63 by Stephen King. I really enjoyed it. It's not your usual King book. It involves time travel and the Kennedy Assassination.

I understand Hulu has a series based off the book. I'll have to check it out.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I've read the Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy, but when I tries out the Silmarillian I had a hard time getting through the first chapters. I'll have to go back sometime, but it read like Genesis.
I truly believe the Silmarillion is the greatest work of fantasy fiction. It took me twenty-five years of starting, stopping, restarting, stopping, etc. to finish. But, I finally took it slowly, took notes as I went, and completed the book.

The depth and scope of this book....wow....