What did the 49ers see in Lance that proved to be non existent?

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Just look at this resume! That K Shanahan knows how to develop QB's and turn them into stars.
Jimmy Garoppolo
Sam Darnold
C.J. Beathard
Brian Hoyer

On second thought, I'm willing to give McCarthey a shot at developing Lance, even though Shanahan, the great see'er of QB talent, got rid of him.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
The kid can’t throw for accuracy…can’t read a defense to save himself and now we are trying to adjust his throwing motion….he is like a high school kid and nothing close to a pro… we even got fleeced giving up a 4th round pick
You just made that up. Go check out his scouting report on nfl.com. It doesn’t say any of that. In fact, it’s quite positive, emphasizing his ability to go through his progressions, something Dak has been criticized for here and elsewhere as being a “first read QB”.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lance is 6 years younger and 1/3 of the price ??

Don't worry, you can still send Dak a christmas card when he's on the Jets
so your approach is to increase franchise value and save money. not build a championship team.

its not about Dak. get him out of your head. you are obsessed. I say Lance, you say Dak. I say plane, you say Dak. I say golf, you say Dak.

Jayinem

Reaction score
For his career he has thrown the ball a total of 102 times in 8 games. He got hurt and they found poor man's Brady in Purdy.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
You just made that up. Go check out his scouting report on nfl.com. It doesn’t say any of that. In fact, it’s quite positive, emphasizing his ability to go through his progressions, something Dak has been criticized for here and elsewhere as being a “first read QB”.
It isn't true about Dak either.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Just look at this resume! That K Shanahan knows how to develop QB's and turn them into stars.
Jimmy Garoppolo
Sam Darnold
C.J. Beathard
Brian Hoyer

On second thought, I'm willing to give McCarthey a shot at developing Lance, even though Shanahan, the great see'er of QB talent, got rid of him.
Dude your post completely flawed by saying he turned those guys into stars Jimmy garoppolo was just above average solid quarterback he's doing the same things where he's gone now he was the same quarterback whether he's there or wherever he's at maybe it was Bill Belichick that developed him who knows but the other three guys spare parts bro you're calling those dude stars Sam darnold was the backup he didn't even see the field are you literally trying to sell us that bill of goods that Kyle Shanahan ohh wait a minute you must be a 49er fan because there's no way a Cowboys fan would make a list like that and call them stars literally garoppolo is a good quarterback the rest of them are backups literally you just lost all credibility you have no valid reason to keep this thread alive please delete it absolutely nonsense...

And let's stop giving him credit for developing Brock Purdy because he picked him in the seventh round meaning he did not know what he was looking at on college tape he got lucky he's the one that looked at college tape and gave three first round picks for Trey Lance so Cal Shanahan ain't getting **** for me as far as flowers except for he knows how to run a gimmicky offense that's great he kicks people off balance with some of the best stars around their quarterbacks literally that's what you're missing Christian McCaffrey deebo Samuels kennels Brandon IU and others they're running that offense they're full of superstars I mean one of the best left tackles in the game this is less about the coach and more about the players around the quarterback... Good try though but yeah please don't start things like that with a list that's flawed from the beginning none of those dudes are stars if they were Jimmy garoppolo would still be on the 49er team... This replacement was Trey Lance that was the plan literally your boy genius K3 first round picks for Trey Lance to replace Jimmy garoppolo keep perspective we all watch football...

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
He reportedly was very infatuated with Johnny Football and Jerry got neutered by his son and we got Zack Martin instead. So he has been itching to see that type of qb in Dallas ever since. Why else did Jerry all by himself just reach out and make a trade without others knowing about it?
And people are talking up Lance. When is the last time Jerry got the better of any trade with another team? The Walker trade? I just have a hard time believing Jerry actually knows more about Lance than the 49ers. They were so worried they traded him to an NFC rival.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Dude your post completely flawed by saying he turned those guys into stars Jimmy garoppolo was just above average solid quarterback he's doing the same things where he's gone now he was the same quarterback whether he's there or wherever he's at maybe it was Bill Belichick that developed him who knows but the other three guys spare parts bro you're calling those dude stars Sam darnold was the backup he didn't even see the field are you literally trying to sell us that bill of goods that Kyle Shanahan ohh wait a minute you must be a 49er fan because there's no way a Cowboys fan would make a list like that and call them stars literally garoppolo is a good quarterback the rest of them are backups literally you just lost all credibility you have no valid reason to keep this thread alive please delete it absolutely nonsense...

And let's stop giving him credit for developing Brock Purdy because he picked him in the seventh round meaning he did not know what he was looking at on college tape he got lucky he's the one that looked at college tape and gave three first round picks for Trey Lance so Cal Shanahan ain't getting **** for me as far as flowers except for he knows how to run a gimmicky offense that's great he kicks people off balance with some of the best stars around their quarterbacks literally that's what you're missing Christian McCaffrey deebo Samuels kennels Brandon IU and others they're running that offense they're full of superstars I mean one of the best left tackles in the game this is less about the coach and more about the players around the quarterback... Good try though but yeah please don't start things like that with a list that's flawed from the beginning none of those dudes are stars if they were Jimmy garoppolo would still be on the 49er team... This replacement was Trey Lance that was the plan literally your boy genius K3 first round picks for Trey Lance to replace Jimmy garoppolo keep perspective we all watch football...
My post was completely sarcasm.

starfan1

Reaction score
And people are talking up Lance. When is the last time Jerry got the better of any trade with another team? The Walker trade? I just have a hard time believing Jerry actually knows more about Lance than the 49ers. They were so worried they traded him to an NFC rival.
People are talking up Lance? All Ive seen is the blowhards in here from the anybody but dak alliance running their mouths. I personally dont care but they are going to be so dissapointed when he gets extended. Lance is not the replacement not saying one cant cant be found but that trade will in all liklihood proved to be another notch in jerrys dipstick move resume.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
To be honest we haven't seen enough of him yet to determine anything. This pre-season will be a good indicator tho.
Did you see him play under the system that can make even the most average QBs look great, Alex Smith, Kap, Brock Purdy, Jimmy G? He looked terrible. The franchise that used a ton of capital to take him at the top of the draft, wanted nothing to do with him. That is very telling. Teams don't give up on top draft picks that quickly. They were about to release him and Dallas could have gotten him for cheap. But as usual, this front office gets fleeced.

Lance is a spare. I get why he is being hyped because some are desperate for new blood at the QB position. But he isn't it. He excelled at a lower level college school playing against lesser quality players but looks very bad at this level. He can't read a defense to save his life. Throwing mechanics are bad. Stuff that isn't exposed playing at the college level he played at.

People will be in for a rude awakening if they think he will be better than what we have now.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Jimmy Garoppolo
Sam Darnold
C.J. Beathard
Brian Hoyer

Beathard is the only one in that list drafted by them. So they got some older guys that were never going to develop, same as Lance right now.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Beathard is the only one in that list drafted by them. So they got some older guys that were never going to develop, same as Lance right now.
Accept those guys played in HS, got a scholarship and played much better competition in college.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Did you see him play under the system that can make even the most average QBs look great, Alex Smith, Kap, Brock Purdy, Jimmy G? He looked terrible. The franchise that used a ton of capital to take him at the top of the draft, wanted nothing to do with him. That is very telling. Teams don't give up on top draft picks that quickly. They were about to release him and Dallas could have gotten him for cheap. But as usual, this front office gets fleeced.

Lance is a spare. I get why he is being hyped because some are desperate for new blood at the QB position. But he isn't it. He excelled at a lower level college school playing against lesser quality players but looks very bad at this level. He can't read a defense to save his life. Throwing mechanics are bad. Stuff that isn't exposed playing at the college level he played at.

People will be in for a rude awakening if they think he will be better than what we have now.
LOL. On the one hand people are calling Shanahan a brilliant offensive mind whose playbook is one of the more complicated ones to run in the league. On the other hand you’re saying it’s a system that makes even average QBs look great (Umm…when did JG ever look great?). So what if they get a frat QB? Will he be made to look like the best ever? I’ve read so many contradictions concerning Lance on this forum. I don’t think any on you have actually watched him play for an extended period of time, whether that is on the playing field, practice, combines, etc. And since most people who are ragging on the kid say he hasn’t played much at all, I’m not sure how any of you are coming to these ridiculous conclusions except due to confirmation bias.

Chasing6

Reaction score
LOL. On the one hand people are calling Shanahan a brilliant offensive mind whose playbook is one of the more complicated ones to run in the league. On the other hand you’re saying it’s a system that makes them average QBs look great (Ummm…when did JG ever look great?). I’ve read so many contradictions concerning Lance on this forum. I don’t think any on you have actually watched him play for an extended period of time. And since most people who are ragging on the kid say he hasn’t played much at all, I’m not sure how any of you are coming to those ridiculous conclusions.
JG was great, his problems were injuries.

How do you watch someone play who hasn't played?

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Same thing teams saw in JaMarcus Russell, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Zach Wilson, etc etc etc etc.

They all had great potential and traits. That's what teams saw.

The one minor flaw they all had though, is that it turned out they couldn't play football good in the NFL. Just like Lance.

I bet they'd all be really good in the CFL though!