What did the 49ers see in Lance that proved to be non existent?

John813

Reaction score
I'm not putting any eggs in the Lance basket for being a starter here, but I'd say it's at least worth waiting till TC/PS before I form an opinion on him.

We don't know the extent of his throwing motion technique that was changed. Was it a huge change, minor?
Prescott a few years ago made some tweaks to how he threw the ball a few years back. I doubt many QB's come in the league with a perfect throwing techs

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You missed the point. It’s unlikely Purdy makes it without star studded 49er offense.

Amazing how some fans always think it’s the QB that carry’s a team.
QB has to manage the game and get the ball to the stars.

I never said it was all purdy.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
There is a difference between not being omniscient at drafting and not being able to take advantage of talent. The 49ers have shown a strong ability to get the most out of their players so if they can’t get anything out of a player it might be because there isn’t much to get.
Maybe you're right? I guess we'll find out in pre season.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I don't think we should fall into the trap of "if the 49ers couldn't make it work than certainly the Cowboys can't". We act like the 49ers are simply incapable of making a mistake.

Perhaps they found out Lance just did not fit what they wanted to do offensively. Or, remember this: they were in "win now" mode when he got hurt, and then Brock Purdy came along. If Purdy didn't work out, I doubt they would have given up so soon on Lance.

To me, San Fran didn't want to wait around and let Lance take his lumps when they already had a Super Bowl ready team. The Cowboys also did not need Lance to step in right away so they gambled a mid round pick on him.

Adreme

Reaction score
Maybe you're right? I guess we'll find out in pre season.
I mean I cant say that he will be bad I can only say that not a single QB this century has a track record of looking bad for 3 years and then turning around and becoming an above average starter. Obviously it could happen, but history so far has said it will not.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I'm not putting any eggs in the Lance basket for being a starter here, but I'd say it's at least worth waiting till TC/PS before I form an opinion on him.

We don't know the extent of his throwing motion technique that was changed. Was it a huge change, minor?
Prescott a few years ago made some tweaks to how he threw the ball a few years back. I doubt many QB's come in the league with a perfect throwing techs

Someone is going to ask, so I will get it out of the way. Why did Dak wait until year 9 to start working on his game? Is it because he has declared that he no longer plays for money?

Ken

Reaction score
The kid can’t throw for accuracy…can’t read a defense to save himself and now we are trying to adjust his throwing motion….he is like a high school kid and nothing close to a pro… we even got fleeced giving up a 4th round pick
You do know the kid was their starting QB for 2022 and had a season ending ankle injury in the 2nd series of game 2, right?

At that point they discovered Purdy.

They knew they were going with Purdy and prepared to trade Lance.

Nothing is written on Lance if he develops.

Ken

Reaction score
I laugh at the ones who keep talking about Lance needing a full training camp and pre season. If Lance had any potential, or if he just shown little flashes of something special there is no way in the world the 49ers would of traded him. Especially to Dallas. But knowing that he was never going to be special why not send him to Dallas.
The Browns KNEW that Baker Mayfield was not it....and Watson was....lol

Lance was literally QB1 to start 2022 and went down for the season in the 2nd series of game 2. Purdy stepped in and the rest was history.

Sure...they may not believe he will make it but they aren't sure. They know they have something in Purdy and Lance wasn't exactly cheap and his value was at its highest when they traded him.

It wasn't going to go up.

This isn't hard.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
The kid can’t throw for accuracy…can’t read a defense to save himself and now we are trying to adjust his throwing motion….he is like a high school kid and nothing close to a pro… we even got fleeced giving up a 4th round pick
Sounds a LOT like another 4th round pick of ours. He got better too.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Just look at this resume! That K Shanahan knows how to develop QB's and turn them into stars.
Jimmy Garoppolo
Sam Darnold
C.J. Beathard
Brian Hoyer

On second thought, I'm willing to give McCarthey a shot at developing Lance, even though Shanahan, the great see'er of QB talent, got rid of him.
Did you witness the Miracle Mike did after the Bye week

NotForLong

Reaction score
Did you see him play under the system that can make even the most average QBs look great, Alex Smith, Kap, Brock Purdy, Jimmy G? He looked terrible.

He barely played

The franchise that used a ton of capital to take him at the top of the draft, wanted nothing to do with him. That is very telling. Teams don't give up on top draft picks that quickly.

Cowboys stole Haley and Casillas

They were about to release him and Dallas could have gotten him for cheap. But as usual, this front office gets fleeced.

You are saying if they did not trade for him it was guaranteed that no one else made an offer and that Lance was gonna sign with the Cowboys as a free agent. . . Fleeced? Yeah OK

Lance is a spare. I get why he is being hyped because some are desperate for new blood at the QB position.

No one is hyping him. We are discussing his progression while simultaneously talking about how last years MVP runner up still does not have an extension. That is all

But he isn't it. He excelled at a lower level college school playing against lesser quality players but looks very bad at this level. He can't read a defense to save his life. Throwing mechanics are bad. Stuff that isn't exposed playing at the college level he played at.

100% opinion. The odds are on your side because of the history of QBs being chewed up in the NFL but every situation is unique and this does not make you right.

As far as Can't read defenses and poor mechanics . . . I know a QB that Big Mike made into an MVP candidate. I believe Big Mike can work with Try because He has a better arm and better legs. . . If Trey is able to hit the second read he is already ahead of Dak at this point in their careers

People will be in for a rude awakening if they think he will be better than what we have now.

This depends on your opinion of what we have.

NotForLong

Reaction score
There is a difference between not being omniscient at drafting and not being able to take advantage of talent. The 49ers have shown a strong ability to get the most out of their players so if they can’t get anything out of a player it might be because there isn’t much to get.
Only one person plays QB

NotForLong

Reaction score
Sure we can see what he’s got . But he couldn’t make it in a star studded offense in SF. And he couldn’t beat out the last pick in the draft .

That 4th round pick probably prevented us from drafting a RB in this draft.

I read in one NFL analysis he might be a good prospect at Safety. Maybe he can beat out Cooper. But it’s highly unlike he gets enough action to extend his contract next year. A puzzling trade for Cowboys.
Terrible evaluation and stop with the RB troupe it is tiring