What did the 49ers see in Lance that proved to be non existent?

NotForLong

Reaction score
I mean I cant say that he will be bad I can only say that not a single QB this century has a track record of looking bad for 3 years and then turning around and becoming an above average starter. Obviously it could happen, but history so far has said it will not.
He has not looked bad for 3 years

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I'm not defending Lance but how can anyone here provide a statement of success or failure for him ? We've seen him ZERO times on the field for Dallas. How much Trey Lance film does the average Zoner here have in their private film rooms ? Can we at least give him some time as an NFL player before we call him anything? I believe he has what, 5 career starts ? He's a work in progress just like every other QB with his level of experience.
Bagman I agree with you. It looks like everyone is competing to be the 1st to accurately predict Lance's failure so they can come back later and say "I told you so! I knew it all along!"
Big deal, we invested a 4th round pick on a possible QB and nobody really knows if the kid is going to make it or not. Like you said, give it some time. He'll make it or not based on his ability, not on our predictions.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
And people are talking up Lance. When is the last time Jerry got the better of any trade with another team? The Walker trade? I just have a hard time believing Jerry actually knows more about Lance than the 49ers. They were so worried they traded him to an NFC rival.
We don't know if we got the better of him, but nothing says Jerry couldn't just get lucky. We'll see.

kskboys

Reaction score
The kid can’t throw for accuracy…can’t read a defense to save himself and now we are trying to adjust his throwing motion….he is like a high school kid and nothing close to a pro… we even got fleeced giving up a 4th round pick
Mobility and a big arm, same as the majority of highly regarded QB prospects.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The kid can’t throw for accuracy…can’t read a defense to save himself and now we are trying to adjust his throwing motion….he is like a high school kid and nothing close to a pro… we even got fleeced giving up a 4th round pick
Sadly, it seems to be true.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Dude your post completely flawed by saying he turned those guys into stars Jimmy garoppolo was just above average solid quarterback he's doing the same things where he's gone now he was the same quarterback whether he's there or wherever he's at maybe it was Bill Belichick that developed him who knows but the other three guys spare parts bro you're calling those dude stars Sam darnold was the backup he didn't even see the field are you literally trying to sell us that bill of goods that Kyle Shanahan ohh wait a minute you must be a 49er fan because there's no way a Cowboys fan would make a list like that and call them stars literally garoppolo is a good quarterback the rest of them are backups literally you just lost all credibility you have no valid reason to keep this thread alive please delete it absolutely nonsense...

And let's stop giving him credit for developing Brock Purdy because he picked him in the seventh round meaning he did not know what he was looking at on college tape he got lucky he's the one that looked at college tape and gave three first round picks for Trey Lance so Cal Shanahan ain't getting **** for me as far as flowers except for he knows how to run a gimmicky offense that's great he kicks people off balance with some of the best stars around their quarterbacks literally that's what you're missing Christian McCaffrey deebo Samuels kennels Brandon IU and others they're running that offense they're full of superstars I mean one of the best left tackles in the game this is less about the coach and more about the players around the quarterback... Good try though but yeah please don't start things like that with a list that's flawed from the beginning none of those dudes are stars if they were Jimmy garoppolo would still be on the 49er team... This replacement was Trey Lance that was the plan literally your boy genius K3 first round picks for Trey Lance to replace Jimmy garoppolo keep perspective we all watch football...
I'm guessing you're not very tall after responding to a sarcastic post like you did. That went right over your head...lol

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Look, lovable chaps and chapettes, the 49ers are astute re personnel.
When they kicked Lance to the curb it should have been a red flag. But to naive Jerald, it was a green light.
Do I trust the 49ers or Jerald's instincts?
Hmmm
GettyImages-1413696833-H-2023.jpg

Adreme

Reaction score
He has not looked bad for 3 years
Year 1 he looked awful in limited action.

Year 2 he once again looked awful before getting injured.

Year 3 he loses out on the backup job to Sam Darnold and by all reports it was not a close competition.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
What Trey Lance has needed more than anything else is actual experience in playing and developing as a QB. He'll get it this year in TC and perhaps beyond. Whether he qualifies for a spot as a #2 backup to replace Cooper Rush remains to be seen. Otherwise, he'll be waivered or possibly traded to another NFL team. I wish him well.
Truth.

Also, he has camp/presesson/game experience from being the starter at San Fran.

He’s not a rookie.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Playing against mostly backups and bubble players in preseason isn’t that good an indicator. You need to see a QB with starters against other starters in meaningful games to make a determination. It’s a big jump from preseason to the regular season with so few starters playing in preseason these days.
Plenty of film on Lance dominating in SanFran Preseason games.

He isn’t a rookie.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
He can run!!! This obsession with "athletic" qb's is so trendy, it really obfuscates people's ability to objectively assess talent. The fans, the press and the team management are all guilty of the preoccupation of this focus.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I mean I cant say that he will be bad I can only say that not a single QB this century has a track record of looking bad for 3 years and then turning around and becoming an above average starter. Obviously it could happen, but history so far has said it will not.
Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

kskboys

Reaction score
He can run!!! This obsession with "athletic" qb's is so trendy, it really obfuscates people's ability to objectively assess talent. The fans, the press and the team management are all guilty of the preoccupation of this focus.
Especially since small school athletic QB's keep failing en masse. Every once in a great while one actually turns out and then NFL teams seem to just forget all the failures in this strategy and the madness starts all over again. Who's the last small school 1st round QB who actually panned out? Wentz? Ick.