CFZ What do we do now at QB?

leeblair

Reaction score
we do nothing. nothing. you guys will be back on the dak train after the next win. You guys will be throwing out stats and talking top 5 in the NFL, blah blah. blah crap.. and we haters will be here reminding you how you guys jump train after the mighty dak sucked.

"what are we going to do now" suck it up butter cup...
I don't think even Dak's fans actually think he can come back from this.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Speaking for myself, it's not so much that as the fact that the fact that he's running out of time to do so if he is going to. If he's going to do it, he's basically got this season to pull it off because I don't think you can extend him after this season. Even if he plays brilliantly next season, it's the last year of his contract. So, to me, the time will have been expired for any deal to be done. That's why an analysis now is needed, imo, to sort out what would be the best option if he doesn't work out McCarthy's offense.

chagus

Reaction score
I was not a Dak supporter when Romo was around for obvious reasons. Then Dak kinda won me over like he did most of us. His energy and determination are contagious. But... this loss is ROUGH. Very tough to sit here and think that Dak is top 10 when most of us turned off the TV at 4th quarter. My FIRST thought was "This is Daks last season here". This was do or die for Dak and unfortunately the ENTIRE WORLD witnessed this bonified beat down the 49ers gave Dallas. Its going to be really difficult for anyone to turn a blind eye.

Personally, ill be paying more attention to college QBs. Its just time to move on.

Does anyone have any QBs they've been looking at? I wouldn't mind a headstart.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I would guess at some point this season the Cowboy's will make a change to Rush, not sure if they would go to Lance.

If the Cowboys make the playoffs and Dak is still the starter, i wouldn't be surprised if they pull a Saban and bench Dak during the early stages of a game.

Sydla

Reaction score
Captain has kind of come unhinged on this. The San Fran game fried his brain.

You can't also criticize McCarthy or the OL or the WRs or the weather or the sun or the kind of hot dogs sold in the stadium that day because they are all excuses made to cover for Dak and make him seem great. It has to be Dak is 100% the problem and if we just dump him, we are a lock for the SB.

Mr_437

Reaction score
1. Dak plays out his contract for this season and next season's whopping $60M cap hit. While, the team develops Trey Lance. They should draft a QB too, but I doubt that when you look at money.

2. Team decides to bench Dak at some point, and replace him with Lance to signal he's the future prompting Prescott to lift his no trade clause and find a suitor for his services this offseason. Lance, Rush, drafted QB are your QBs for 2024.

I have no idea how this plays out, but an extension would be the absolute wrong move imho.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
386713536_275921338734074_5222426560059664672_n.jpg

Blitzen

Reaction score
Well, it seems that the majority of fans are not very inclined to see Dak play much more. Given the disgrace that was the 49ers game, it's a very understandable thought. Plus, given that Dak will only have one year left on his deal after this season, it's seems that Dak's time with the Cowboys has run it's course. For the record, I felt that his deal was good in the last one because I figured that he would be a stopgap while we fixed the offense, and I thought he still could develop. Maybe he can, but time is running out, and I don't think that extending him again is wise. Plus, Jerry was hesitant about extending him last time, so it's likely he won't again. Given that Dak has likely run his course, this begs the question. So, what do we do now at QB? I think there are three viable choices.

Bear in mind, there is a coaching variable to consider and the Jerry Jones variable. The coaching variable is important to consider because, if this season spirals out of control, Mike McCarthy is likely to get sacked. So, for the sake of this variable, I will assume that Dan Quinn will be the HC next year for these scenarios because of how Jerry has managed to keep him here and how much he listens to him. I'm also assuming that Jerry gives Mike the whole season, but DQ is likely interim coach if Mike gets sacked going into the bye week. So, here are the three choices/scenarios, as I see them.

1. Dak plays out the rest of the season, the Cowboys cut Dak with a 1 June cut, and the Cowboys draft a QB. This situation is risky because, not only are you splitting Dak's guaranteed money into two years, but you are also entering the season with an unproven option. I think this scenario only really works if the bottom falls out on the Cowboys, and it's clear that Dak is no longer an option. Thus, the Cowboys would be drafting top 15 where a day one starter is possibly available. However, as stated with the unproven issue, you'd have that QB, Rush, and Lance.
  2. Dak plays out this season, doesn't get cut, Cowboys draft a QB: in this situation, which is my preferred of the three, the Cowboys would allow Dak one more year to start, but we would have a rookie waiting in the wings competing with Lance. While they are competing and developing, Dak would be allowed to finish his tenure, and then the Cowboys can reap a comp pick when he goes to another team who would need a stop gap option. The only real downsides to this is that 1. Cooper Rush is likely out due to numbers, and 2. The contracts. However, given the salary cap increases, this is likely not a huge factor, especially given that Jerry seldom uses it for FAs, and we have 2 major contracts that would need to start being negotiated this offseason.
  3. Trey Lance starts the Giants game, and then a determination with Dak is made after the season. This scenario is my second preference. If it's clear that Dak cannot go on, then I think Lance would be someone that the Cowboys may opt to see what he is capable of. I wouldn't start him against the Chargers, Rams, or Eagles because I wouldn't want to wreck the confidence of a young QB who hasn't played in nearly a year. Instead, the Giants, Panthers, and Commanders are a good first three games for Lance to get his playing legs under him while taking on opponents that we should be able to beat rather easily. Then, we see how he goes. Essentially, he'd be Bledsoeing Dak. Then, a determination is made with Dak depending on how Lance does. If it looks like Lance needs some more developing but is good, then scenario 1 likely applies where they cut Dak, and let Lance compete with a rookie knowing we also could have traded capital with Lance. If Lance isn't very good, then the Cowboys either part ways with him and draft a QB (while keeping Dak for one more year) or they give him a chance to compete with a rookie (essentially, scenario 2). If he's not very good, then I think we either try to trade him or cut him. Then, let the roster next year at QB be Dak, Rush, and QB X. This allows the rookie to develop and be eased into the offense, much like Mahomes was with Alex Smith as the starting QB.
To me, I think scenarios two and three are the best. I think the best thing is if Dak doesn't completely collapse because then we can try to develop a QB (Lance and QB X). For me, since you must have a replacement if you're going to demand a change, I would like either Ewers from Texas or (https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/QB/1/2024) Michael Pennix from Washington to be QB X. I think either would be a legitimate QB option for us regardless of where we likely draft, but we also would have the luxury of not having to start them straight away. Of course, this heavily depends on who the OC ends up being. These are the scenarios that I see from where we are right now. It's unfortunate that it seems that it's come to this, but every player is replaceable. Also, players do run their course with a team.
If the team makes the playoffs (which I believe is extremely likely)-Dak gets a big extension no matter the outcome. Jerry does not care about competing for the SB very much. That is not a high priority to this team. That has been apparent for a long time.

chagus

Reaction score
If the team makes the playoffs (which I believe is extremely likely)-Dak gets a big extension no matter the outcome. Jerry does not care about competing for the SB very much. That is not a high priority to this team. That has been apparent for a long time.
No. I doubt this. Jerry sees this now and its undeniable; Dak is NOT worth the money. Simply put.

leeblair

Reaction score
Captain has kind of come unhinged on this. The San Fran game fried his brain.

You can't also criticize McCarthy or the OL or the WRs or the weather or the sun or the kind of hot dogs sold in the stadium that day because they are all excuses made to cover for Dak and make him seem great. It has to be Dak is 100% the problem and if we just dump him, we are a lock for the SB.
No, but we will never see a Super Bowl with Dak under center.
He IS the reason the Cowboys have been let down every year.

Blitzen

Reaction score
No. I doubt this. Jerry sees this now and its undeniable; Dak is NOT worth the money. Simply put.
If the team makes the playoffs for the third consecutive season, the team moving on from the starting QB would go against their recent and long term history. Starting QB’s who the team gives a second contract get extended till they want to retire. Just the way Jones does business. He triples down on stupidity rather than admitting he was bamboozled quickly and moving on.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
If the team makes the playoffs for the third consecutive season, the team moving on from the starting QB would go against their recent and long term history. Starting QB’s who the team gives a second contract get extended till they want to retire. Just the way Jones does business. He triples down on stupidity rather than admitting he was bamboozled quickly and moving on.
It would be a major disappoint...if this team does not make the playoffs,,,seriously doubt they win the division but with 7 teams making the playoffs it's sure shot to at least make the WC. IMO the worst case scenario is Jerry uses the Cowboys record as leverage to extend DAK. But I would love to see Jerry try and pull an Aaron Rodgers style trade and move on with Lance and a QB in the draft....

Unfortunately, its wishful thinking.. All Jerry knows to throw money at the issue and hope it works....so I fully expect a few more years of DAK and a few more years or wishful thinking

shabazz

Reaction score
Pay the man his money and move up in the draft and select the next franchise quarterback.

Let him watch Dak play next season so he can learn not how to play the position

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Until we hear that Lance has been promoted to #2 as the primary backup with Rush as #3 emergency QB, you might as well not even bring Lance’s name up.