CFZ What do we do now at QB?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What should we do or what will we do? What we will do is pretty obvious. Jerry is still convinced Dak can take us to a Super Bowl. So, look for an extension and 3 more years of Dak.

plymkr

Reaction score

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If I remember right they offered Dak the largest contract in NFL history (at the time) and he turned it down. Dak wanted a 4 year deal and the Jones wanted a 5 or 6 year deal. They couldn’t agree and Dak got tagged.

Oooh, fair enough. Still, I think the contract that Dak got was a good stop gap. I just don't know that extending his contract is necessarily the best idea ATM.

plymkr

Reaction score
Oooh, fair enough. Still, I think the contract that Dak got was a good stop gap. I just don't know that extending his contract is necessarily the best idea ATM.
I completely agree. I think extending him now, especially at 50+ million would be a massive mistake. The contract he got in 2021 was good but he’s not playing up to it and I agree I think it’s in our best interest to move on.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I completely agree. I think extending him now, especially at 50+ million would be a massive mistake. The contract he got in 2021 was good but he’s not playing up to it and I agree I think it’s in our best interest to move on.

Exactly, maybe if it was another $40 mil per year, it could be justified? But $45mil+ would be incredibly hard to justify, especially now. I would love for him to stay if it was reasonable, but then I think it's a question of what the team wants. Especially with a QB rich draft class this year.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

That bum is unemployed for a reason.
He's unemployed because Philly's front office knows when the most important position on the field is a liability, and isn't afraid to face reality and move on.

that's why they've been to 2 Super Bowls in the past 6 seasons and we haven't been since 1995.

I wish our front office ran the team that way. But it's a pipe dream.

Nav22

Reaction score
He's unemployed because Philly's front office knows when the most important position on the field is a liability, and isn't afraid to face reality and move on.

that's why they've been to 2 Super Bowls in the past 6 seasons and we haven't been since 1995.

I wish our front office ran the team that way. But it's a pipe dream.
No, he's unemployed because he's a BUM.

That's why Indy and Washington both tossed him in the trash after 1 year. That's why he's unemployed.

Hilarious trying to compare Dak to that loser.
:laugh: :laugh::laugh:

btgboys41

Reaction score
Well, it seems that the majority of fans are not very inclined to see Dak play much more. Given the disgrace that was the 49ers game, it's a very understandable thought. Plus, given that Dak will only have one year left on his deal after this season, it's seems that Dak's time with the Cowboys has run it's course. For the record, I felt that his deal was good in the last one because I figured that he would be a stopgap while we fixed the offense, and I thought he still could develop. Maybe he can, but time is running out, and I don't think that extending him again is wise. Plus, Jerry was hesitant about extending him last time, so it's likely he won't again. Given that Dak has likely run his course, this begs the question. So, what do we do now at QB? I think there are three viable choices.

Bear in mind, there is a coaching variable to consider and the Jerry Jones variable. The coaching variable is important to consider because, if this season spirals out of control, Mike McCarthy is likely to get sacked. So, for the sake of this variable, I will assume that Dan Quinn will be the HC next year for these scenarios because of how Jerry has managed to keep him here and how much he listens to him. I'm also assuming that Jerry gives Mike the whole season, but DQ is likely interim coach if Mike gets sacked going into the bye week. So, here are the three choices/scenarios, as I see them.

1. Dak plays out the rest of the season, the Cowboys cut Dak with a 1 June cut, and the Cowboys draft a QB. This situation is risky because, not only are you splitting Dak's guaranteed money into two years, but you are also entering the season with an unproven option. I think this scenario only really works if the bottom falls out on the Cowboys, and it's clear that Dak is no longer an option. Thus, the Cowboys would be drafting top 15 where a day one starter is possibly available. However, as stated with the unproven issue, you'd have that QB, Rush, and Lance.
  2. Dak plays out this season, doesn't get cut, Cowboys draft a QB: in this situation, which is my preferred of the three, the Cowboys would allow Dak one more year to start, but we would have a rookie waiting in the wings competing with Lance. While they are competing and developing, Dak would be allowed to finish his tenure, and then the Cowboys can reap a comp pick when he goes to another team who would need a stop gap option. The only real downsides to this is that 1. Cooper Rush is likely out due to numbers, and 2. The contracts. However, given the salary cap increases, this is likely not a huge factor, especially given that Jerry seldom uses it for FAs, and we have 2 major contracts that would need to start being negotiated this offseason.
  3. Trey Lance starts the Giants game, and then a determination with Dak is made after the season. This scenario is my second preference. If it's clear that Dak cannot go on, then I think Lance would be someone that the Cowboys may opt to see what he is capable of. I wouldn't start him against the Chargers, Rams, or Eagles because I wouldn't want to wreck the confidence of a young QB who hasn't played in nearly a year. Instead, the Giants, Panthers, and Commanders are a good first three games for Lance to get his playing legs under him while taking on opponents that we should be able to beat rather easily. Then, we see how he goes. Essentially, he'd be Bledsoeing Dak. Then, a determination is made with Dak depending on how Lance does. If it looks like Lance needs some more developing but is good, then scenario 1 likely applies where they cut Dak, and let Lance compete with a rookie knowing we also could have traded capital with Lance. If Lance isn't very good, then the Cowboys either part ways with him and draft a QB (while keeping Dak for one more year) or they give him a chance to compete with a rookie (essentially, scenario 2). If he's not very good, then I think we either try to trade him or cut him. Then, let the roster next year at QB be Dak, Rush, and QB X. This allows the rookie to develop and be eased into the offense, much like Mahomes was with Alex Smith as the starting QB.
To me, I think scenarios two and three are the best. I think the best thing is if Dak doesn't completely collapse because then we can try to develop a QB (Lance and QB X). For me, since you must have a replacement if you're going to demand a change, I would like either Ewers from Texas or (https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/QB/1/2024) Michael Pennix from Washington to be QB X. I think either would be a legitimate QB option for us regardless of where we likely draft, but we also would have the luxury of not having to start them straight away. Of course, this heavily depends on who the OC ends up being. These are the scenarios that I see from where we are right now. It's unfortunate that it seems that it's come to this, but every player is replaceable. Also, players do run their course with a team.
Rusty my dude, good write up. I honestly believe that the best course of action is to open up the offense and let Dak rip it. Whatever happens as a result will yield a more definitive idea of next steps. It’s not working to have him on training wheels. Run the ball, and let him try to tear apart defenses. If he throws 4 tds or 4 picks a game, I think it will be a catalyst for the future with him at QB. If they try to manage and baby him, I don’t think there will be any change.

nobody

Reaction score
Rusty my dude, good write up. I honestly believe that the best course of action is to open up the offense and let Dak rip it. Whatever happens as a result will yield a more definitive idea of next steps. It’s not working to have him on training wheels. Run the ball, and let him try to tear apart defenses. If he throws 4 tds or 4 picks a game, I think it will be a catalyst for the future with him at QB. If they try to manage and baby him, I don’t think there will be any change.
Since Lance isn't close to ready and Rush probably couldn't get us to a SB and we're stuck with Panic Dak, I vote that too. They should just open everything up and let what comes come.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Two guys out of how many? Kurt failed to mention in his video the insanely wide open Cowboy on the other side of the field that play.

Dak's part of the problem. It is what it is. History will prove one of us right. I hope I'm wrong but I hope you're prepared to be wrong as well, cause so far it's on my side.
It's called QB progressions, how much time a QB has, which is his primary WR for any particular play and the small details required by every receiver to run on any particular play that's designed to get another receiver open against any particular defensive scheme(s). Plus, the play designs have to be good enough to actually work to get receivers open against today's defenses. Add in the protection up front on the Oline, plus the execution from every player, well, any wrong route, design or lack of execution can throw any play away.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
No, he's unemployed because he's a BUM.

That's why Indy and Washington both tossed him in the trash after 1 year. That's why he's unemployed.

Hilarious trying to compare Dak to that loser.
:laugh: :laugh::laugh:
The comparison was clearly between our front office and theirs

:welcome::oldcouple::dance::yourock::muttley::facepalm::huh::cool::mad::(:oops::D:clap::grin:

nobody

Reaction score
It's called QB progressions, how much time a QB has, which is his primary WR for any particular play and the small details required by every receiver to run on any particular play that's designed to get another receiver open against any particular defensive scheme(s). Plus, the play designs have to be good enough to actually work to get receivers open against today's defenses. Add in the protection up front on the Oline, plus the execution from every player, well, any wrong route, design or lack of execution can throw any play away.
Yep, after 3 OC's and sooo many receivers, it's never Dak's fault. He's always innocent and a victim and is perfect. mmhmm. That story's old. He's a choking loser, plan and simple. Sorry bro. Your boy's going nowhere. I really wish it were different. He just isn't capable of elevating anything. I supported him, then I doubted him, now I fully believe he's incapable of getting the team there. I so want to be wrong, but the evidence is there. He's a choker.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yep, after 3 OC's and sooo many receivers, it's never Dak's fault. He's always innocent and a victim and is perfect. mmhmm. That story's old. He's a choking loser, plan and simple. Sorry bro. Your boy's going nowhere. I really wish it were different. He just isn't capable of elevating anything. I supported him, then I doubted him, now I fully believe he's incapable of getting the team there. I so want to be wrong, but the evidence is there. He's a choker.
Dak isn't innocent. He made several bad throws, but most of his throws were good. Dak can't run the routes for his receivers, he can't block for himself and he certainly can't design the plays by himself. Kurt Warner, Chris Simms, Richard Sherman and many others said after reviewing the tape, the fault was much more on others than Dak. That's a fact.

As for choker, that's your boy, Romo. No one can touch his chokeness. He reigns supreme.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Trade dak in the offseason. Some team will take him. I'm sure there's a team hed be ok with going to.