CFZ What do we do now at QB?

nobody

Reaction score
Captain has kind of come unhinged on this. The San Fran game fried his brain.

You can't also criticize McCarthy or the OL or the WRs or the weather or the sun or the kind of hot dogs sold in the stadium that day because they are all excuses made to cover for Dak and make him seem great. It has to be Dak is 100% the problem and if we just dump him, we are a lock for the SB.
I think that's a mistaken interpretation of Captain. Since the SF game, go back and read his posts as if you were reading sarcasm. He's been anti-Dak for a while and only switched to Pro Dak since that game. He's trolling the Pro-Dak guys that are inexplicably still supporting Dak.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
You thought I was done now I want to give you a big sarcastic thank you for starting another Prescott hate tread. No problem I mean Dr. Dave is actually in entire thread just for Prescott and then you guys are starting new ones I think the rule should now be they have that third open if you’re gonna have negative things to say about the quarterback he can only post their time but I’m glad you’re on the heat fan club because I’m glad I hope they keep him till 2025 just to make you miserable
Rusty is a good poster, he is not part of any "hate club".

He simply asked a question about what to do with Dak since almost all posters want him gone.......you did see the poll that the site admin started, right?

Well, if 95% of the board wants Dak gone, what do we do at QB?

Its a legit question based on the poll the site admin started, it violates no rules.............now if you want new rules implemented, then you need to talk to the site admin, not complain here.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The sooner he is gone the better. Hopefully Dak will agree to waive his no trade clause and the Cowboys can find a team to trade him too. There are enough good QB's in next Aprils draft that they can get one without giving up the farm. Lance is the wild card. Will he be ready for next year? Is he a NFL QB?
Dak is not the problem.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I think that's a mistaken interpretation of Captain. Since the SF game, go back and read his posts as if you were reading sarcasm. He's been anti-Dak for a while and only switched to Pro Dak since that game. He's trolling the Pro-Dak guys that are inexplicably still supporting Dak.
He's not tricking anyone. His games and comments are lame.

nobody

Reaction score
Dak is not the problem.
I have to emphatically disagree, bro. Dak's absolutely part of the problem. He's not the only problem but he is a problem. How much more help does one man need? How many more excuses? He's just not going to get it done. He can't.

He's a good guy. I wanted him to succeed. I still do...but I'm convinced he can't get it done with this team or any other. The ankle injury broke something in him.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I have to emphatically disagree, bro. Dak's absolutely part of the problem. He's not the only problem but he is a problem. How much more help does one man need? How many more excuses? He's just not going to get it done. He can't.

He's a good guy. I wanted him to succeed. I still do...but I'm convinced he can't get it done with this team or any other. The ankle injury broke something in him.
Nope. Kurt Warner and Chris Simms broke down the 49ers tape and both agreed Dak is not the problem. He did make a few bad throws, but overall, he was not the problem.

plymkr

Reaction score
The Rams are no pushover. Their offense, especially with Nacua, is tough. And their defence has Aaron Donald.
Yeah I’m not confident in the next 2 games. Herbert can light it up and we’re hurting from injuries on defense. The Rams, like you said, are no pushover. If our defense doesn’t carry the offense then the offense struggles. This could get ugly fast. I’d be more confident if Micah wasn’t banged up and the other injuries didn’t happen.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Captain has kind of come unhinged on this. The San Fran game fried his brain.

You can't also criticize McCarthy or the OL or the WRs or the weather or the sun or the kind of hot dogs sold in the stadium that day because they are all excuses made to cover for Dak and make him seem great. It has to be Dak is 100% the problem and if we just dump him, we are a lock for the SB.
lol not even close....

plymkr

Reaction score
386713536_275921338734074_5222426560059664672_n.jpg
That’s really, really encouraging to hear.

bottleKids

Reaction score
Well, it seems that the majority of fans are not very inclined to see Dak play much more. Given the disgrace that was the 49ers game, it's a very understandable thought. Plus, given that Dak will only have one year left on his deal after this season, it's seems that Dak's time with the Cowboys has run it's course. For the record, I felt that his deal was good in the last one because I figured that he would be a stopgap while we fixed the offense, and I thought he still could develop. Maybe he can, but time is running out, and I don't think that extending him again is wise. Plus, Jerry was hesitant about extending him last time, so it's likely he won't again. Given that Dak has likely run his course, this begs the question. So, what do we do now at QB? I think there are three viable choices.

Bear in mind, there is a coaching variable to consider and the Jerry Jones variable. The coaching variable is important to consider because, if this season spirals out of control, Mike McCarthy is likely to get sacked. So, for the sake of this variable, I will assume that Dan Quinn will be the HC next year for these scenarios because of how Jerry has managed to keep him here and how much he listens to him. I'm also assuming that Jerry gives Mike the whole season, but DQ is likely interim coach if Mike gets sacked going into the bye week. So, here are the three choices/scenarios, as I see them.

1. Dak plays out the rest of the season, the Cowboys cut Dak with a 1 June cut, and the Cowboys draft a QB. This situation is risky because, not only are you splitting Dak's guaranteed money into two years, but you are also entering the season with an unproven option. I think this scenario only really works if the bottom falls out on the Cowboys, and it's clear that Dak is no longer an option. Thus, the Cowboys would be drafting top 15 where a day one starter is possibly available. However, as stated with the unproven issue, you'd have that QB, Rush, and Lance.
  2. Dak plays out this season, doesn't get cut, Cowboys draft a QB: in this situation, which is my preferred of the three, the Cowboys would allow Dak one more year to start, but we would have a rookie waiting in the wings competing with Lance. While they are competing and developing, Dak would be allowed to finish his tenure, and then the Cowboys can reap a comp pick when he goes to another team who would need a stop gap option. The only real downsides to this is that 1. Cooper Rush is likely out due to numbers, and 2. The contracts. However, given the salary cap increases, this is likely not a huge factor, especially given that Jerry seldom uses it for FAs, and we have 2 major contracts that would need to start being negotiated this offseason.
  3. Trey Lance starts the Giants game, and then a determination with Dak is made after the season. This scenario is my second preference. If it's clear that Dak cannot go on, then I think Lance would be someone that the Cowboys may opt to see what he is capable of. I wouldn't start him against the Chargers, Rams, or Eagles because I wouldn't want to wreck the confidence of a young QB who hasn't played in nearly a year. Instead, the Giants, Panthers, and Commanders are a good first three games for Lance to get his playing legs under him while taking on opponents that we should be able to beat rather easily. Then, we see how he goes. Essentially, he'd be Bledsoeing Dak. Then, a determination is made with Dak depending on how Lance does. If it looks like Lance needs some more developing but is good, then scenario 1 likely applies where they cut Dak, and let Lance compete with a rookie knowing we also could have traded capital with Lance. If Lance isn't very good, then the Cowboys either part ways with him and draft a QB (while keeping Dak for one more year) or they give him a chance to compete with a rookie (essentially, scenario 2). If he's not very good, then I think we either try to trade him or cut him. Then, let the roster next year at QB be Dak, Rush, and QB X. This allows the rookie to develop and be eased into the offense, much like Mahomes was with Alex Smith as the starting QB.
To me, I think scenarios two and three are the best. I think the best thing is if Dak doesn't completely collapse because then we can try to develop a QB (Lance and QB X). For me, since you must have a replacement if you're going to demand a change, I would like either Ewers from Texas or (https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/QB/1/2024) Michael Pennix from Washington to be QB X. I think either would be a legitimate QB option for us regardless of where we likely draft, but we also would have the luxury of not having to start them straight away. Of course, this heavily depends on who the OC ends up being. These are the scenarios that I see from where we are right now. It's unfortunate that it seems that it's come to this, but every player is replaceable. Also, players do run their course with a team.
We do nothing... Didn't you hear the reasons we got destroyed:

1.) Offense line sucks (even though they are top 3-4 in most rankings out there)
2.) Boring Offensive Scheme
3.) WR can't get separation
4.) No physical TE
5.) RB not good enough
6.) anything else not related to QB1

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We do nothing... Didn't you hear the reasons we got destroyed:

1.) Offense line sucks (even though they are top 3-4 in most rankings out there)
2.) Boring Offensive Scheme
3.) WR can't get separation
4.) No physical TE
5.) RB not good enough
6.) anything else not related to QB1
Don’t forget that the WR’s need to grow a few inches…….

BoysForLife

Reaction score
The idea that we should continue with Dak because no one has a better plan is the biggest argument against him.
NAILED IT right here.

This argument ticks me off more than all other arguments in favor of or against Dak, combined.

"What other options do we have, and what if our next option is worse?" is not a reason to stay with the status quo.

If someone truly believes that Dak is the guy and can get us where we need to go, I'm not inclined to believe that person but we can have that discussion on this forum and hear all sides.
But if the only argument for staying with Dak is "I'm nervous that the other possibilities could be worse" then it's a cowardly argument and a loser's mentality. Period. We're clearly not where we need to be and continuing that because of fear of the unknown is unacceptable.

That mindset is a pathetic foundation upon which to build a football team, a business, or a life quite frankly.
It's a loser's mentality.

cowboybish

Reaction score
Well, it seems that the majority of fans are not very inclined to see Dak play much more. Given the disgrace that was the 49ers game, it's a very understandable thought. Plus, given that Dak will only have one year left on his deal after this season, it's seems that Dak's time with the Cowboys has run it's course. For the record, I felt that his deal was good in the last one because I figured that he would be a stopgap while we fixed the offense, and I thought he still could develop. Maybe he can, but time is running out, and I don't think that extending him again is wise. Plus, Jerry was hesitant about extending him last time, so it's likely he won't again. Given that Dak has likely run his course, this begs the question. So, what do we do now at QB? I think there are three viable choices.

Bear in mind, there is a coaching variable to consider and the Jerry Jones variable. The coaching variable is important to consider because, if this season spirals out of control, Mike McCarthy is likely to get sacked. So, for the sake of this variable, I will assume that Dan Quinn will be the HC next year for these scenarios because of how Jerry has managed to keep him here and how much he listens to him. I'm also assuming that Jerry gives Mike the whole season, but DQ is likely interim coach if Mike gets sacked going into the bye week. So, here are the three choices/scenarios, as I see them.

1. Dak plays out the rest of the season, the Cowboys cut Dak with a 1 June cut, and the Cowboys draft a QB. This situation is risky because, not only are you splitting Dak's guaranteed money into two years, but you are also entering the season with an unproven option. I think this scenario only really works if the bottom falls out on the Cowboys, and it's clear that Dak is no longer an option. Thus, the Cowboys would be drafting top 15 where a day one starter is possibly available. However, as stated with the unproven issue, you'd have that QB, Rush, and Lance.
  2. Dak plays out this season, doesn't get cut, Cowboys draft a QB: in this situation, which is my preferred of the three, the Cowboys would allow Dak one more year to start, but we would have a rookie waiting in the wings competing with Lance. While they are competing and developing, Dak would be allowed to finish his tenure, and then the Cowboys can reap a comp pick when he goes to another team who would need a stop gap option. The only real downsides to this is that 1. Cooper Rush is likely out due to numbers, and 2. The contracts. However, given the salary cap increases, this is likely not a huge factor, especially given that Jerry seldom uses it for FAs, and we have 2 major contracts that would need to start being negotiated this offseason.
  3. Trey Lance starts the Giants game, and then a determination with Dak is made after the season. This scenario is my second preference. If it's clear that Dak cannot go on, then I think Lance would be someone that the Cowboys may opt to see what he is capable of. I wouldn't start him against the Chargers, Rams, or Eagles because I wouldn't want to wreck the confidence of a young QB who hasn't played in nearly a year. Instead, the Giants, Panthers, and Commanders are a good first three games for Lance to get his playing legs under him while taking on opponents that we should be able to beat rather easily. Then, we see how he goes. Essentially, he'd be Bledsoeing Dak. Then, a determination is made with Dak depending on how Lance does. If it looks like Lance needs some more developing but is good, then scenario 1 likely applies where they cut Dak, and let Lance compete with a rookie knowing we also could have traded capital with Lance. If Lance isn't very good, then the Cowboys either part ways with him and draft a QB (while keeping Dak for one more year) or they give him a chance to compete with a rookie (essentially, scenario 2). If he's not very good, then I think we either try to trade him or cut him. Then, let the roster next year at QB be Dak, Rush, and QB X. This allows the rookie to develop and be eased into the offense, much like Mahomes was with Alex Smith as the starting QB.
To me, I think scenarios two and three are the best. I think the best thing is if Dak doesn't completely collapse because then we can try to develop a QB (Lance and QB X). For me, since you must have a replacement if you're going to demand a change, I would like either Ewers from Texas or (https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/QB/1/2024) Michael Pennix from Washington to be QB X. I think either would be a legitimate QB option for us regardless of where we likely draft, but we also would have the luxury of not having to start them straight away. Of course, this heavily depends on who the OC ends up being. These are the scenarios that I see from where we are right now. It's unfortunate that it seems that it's come to this, but every player is replaceable. Also, players do run their course with a team.
Jerry was never hesitant about extending
Dak !

Flamma

Reaction score
I wanted Dallas to trade for Zach Wilson before Rodgers went down. Now the cost would be too high. He has the potential to be far better than anyone on the roster.
If they asked for a carton of marlboro for Zach Wilson, the price would be too high.

nobody

Reaction score
Nope. Kurt Warner and Chris Simms broke down the 49ers tape and both agreed Dak is not the problem. He did make a few bad throws, but overall, he was not the problem.
Two guys out of how many? Kurt failed to mention in his video the insanely wide open Cowboy on the other side of the field that play.

Dak's part of the problem. It is what it is. History will prove one of us right. I hope I'm wrong but I hope you're prepared to be wrong as well, cause so far it's on my side.