CFZ What do we do now at QB?

Shane612

Reaction score
I agree there's no downside. It almost certainly wouldn't work out, but there would be a small chance it could. A small chance is better than no chance
We already have a small chance, Dak Prescott is thy name.

nobody

Reaction score
Dak isn't innocent. He made several bad throws, but most of his throws were good. Dak can't run the routes for his receivers, he can't block for himself and he certainly can't design the plays by himself. Kurt Warner, Chris Simms, Richard Sherman and many others said after reviewing the tape, the fault was much more on others than Dak. That's a fact.

As for choker, that's your boy, Romo. No one can touch his chokeness. He reigns supreme.
Romo didn't get it done. I freely admit that. But you always go back to Romo. Dude's been gone for many years. Drop that. Dak fails on his own suckiness. When will YOU admit he'll never get it done? How perfect does the game plan need to be? How many perfect receivers does he need? You don't see other QB's needing everything Dak does to get it done. Dak's a choker. PERIOD.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well, it seems that the majority of fans are not very inclined to see Dak play much more. Given the disgrace that was the 49ers game, it's a very understandable thought. Plus, given that Dak will only have one year left on his deal after this season, it's seems that Dak's time with the Cowboys has run it's course. For the record, I felt that his deal was good in the last one because I figured that he would be a stopgap while we fixed the offense, and I thought he still could develop. Maybe he can, but time is running out, and I don't think that extending him again is wise. Plus, Jerry was hesitant about extending him last time, so it's likely he won't again. Given that Dak has likely run his course, this begs the question. So, what do we do now at QB? I think there are three viable choices.

Bear in mind, there is a coaching variable to consider and the Jerry Jones variable. The coaching variable is important to consider because, if this season spirals out of control, Mike McCarthy is likely to get sacked. So, for the sake of this variable, I will assume that Dan Quinn will be the HC next year for these scenarios because of how Jerry has managed to keep him here and how much he listens to him. I'm also assuming that Jerry gives Mike the whole season, but DQ is likely interim coach if Mike gets sacked going into the bye week. So, here are the three choices/scenarios, as I see them.

1. Dak plays out the rest of the season, the Cowboys cut Dak with a 1 June cut, and the Cowboys draft a QB. This situation is risky because, not only are you splitting Dak's guaranteed money into two years, but you are also entering the season with an unproven option. I think this scenario only really works if the bottom falls out on the Cowboys, and it's clear that Dak is no longer an option. Thus, the Cowboys would be drafting top 15 where a day one starter is possibly available. However, as stated with the unproven issue, you'd have that QB, Rush, and Lance.
  2. Dak plays out this season, doesn't get cut, Cowboys draft a QB: in this situation, which is my preferred of the three, the Cowboys would allow Dak one more year to start, but we would have a rookie waiting in the wings competing with Lance. While they are competing and developing, Dak would be allowed to finish his tenure, and then the Cowboys can reap a comp pick when he goes to another team who would need a stop gap option. The only real downsides to this is that 1. Cooper Rush is likely out due to numbers, and 2. The contracts. However, given the salary cap increases, this is likely not a huge factor, especially given that Jerry seldom uses it for FAs, and we have 2 major contracts that would need to start being negotiated this offseason.
  3. Trey Lance starts the Giants game, and then a determination with Dak is made after the season. This scenario is my second preference. If it's clear that Dak cannot go on, then I think Lance would be someone that the Cowboys may opt to see what he is capable of. I wouldn't start him against the Chargers, Rams, or Eagles because I wouldn't want to wreck the confidence of a young QB who hasn't played in nearly a year. Instead, the Giants, Panthers, and Commanders are a good first three games for Lance to get his playing legs under him while taking on opponents that we should be able to beat rather easily. Then, we see how he goes. Essentially, he'd be Bledsoeing Dak. Then, a determination is made with Dak depending on how Lance does. If it looks like Lance needs some more developing but is good, then scenario 1 likely applies where they cut Dak, and let Lance compete with a rookie knowing we also could have traded capital with Lance. If Lance isn't very good, then the Cowboys either part ways with him and draft a QB (while keeping Dak for one more year) or they give him a chance to compete with a rookie (essentially, scenario 2). If he's not very good, then I think we either try to trade him or cut him. Then, let the roster next year at QB be Dak, Rush, and QB X. This allows the rookie to develop and be eased into the offense, much like Mahomes was with Alex Smith as the starting QB.
To me, I think scenarios two and three are the best. I think the best thing is if Dak doesn't completely collapse because then we can try to develop a QB (Lance and QB X). For me, since you must have a replacement if you're going to demand a change, I would like either Ewers from Texas or (https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/QB/1/2024) Michael Pennix from Washington to be QB X. I think either would be a legitimate QB option for us regardless of where we likely draft, but we also would have the luxury of not having to start them straight away. Of course, this heavily depends on who the OC ends up being. These are the scenarios that I see from where we are right now. It's unfortunate that it seems that it's come to this, but every player is replaceable. Also, players do run their course with a team.
Remain mediocre until we move on from Dak.

Shane612

Reaction score
The unpopular answer is by losing to gain as high a first round pick as possible.
I'd entertain packaging Micah too if it meant being able to draft a Williams or Maye.
We've absolutely maxed out our ceiling with the current guy with both personnel and coaching changes.

Time for a change.
Don't need a top 10 pick to find a QB in the draft. In fact, it may be a curse to draft a QB so high... :grin:
History of NFL is littered with HOF QBs who were drafted late in the first or even after the first round.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Romo didn't get it done. I freely admit that. But you always go back to Romo. Dude's been gone for many years. Drop that. Dak fails on his own suckiness. When will YOU admit he'll never get it done? How perfect does the game plan need to be? How many perfect receivers does he need? You don't see other QB's needing everything Dak does to get it done. Dak's a choker. PERIOD.
Dak's career hasn't been finished or written yet. Control your damn hate.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't hate him. I think he's a great guy. I just think he's a choker and is holding the team back. You forget that it's the Dallas Cowboys and not the Dallas Dak'sboys.
I don't forget anything. Get your stupid hate off of Dak. Maybe then you can see the forest for the trees.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
The unpopular answer is by losing to gain as high a first round pick as possible.
I'd entertain packaging Micah too if it meant being able to draft a Williams or Maye.
We've absolutely maxed out our ceiling with the current guy with both personnel and coaching changes.

Time for a change
I like Maye or Sanders. Bo Nix is interesting.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It can get no better than this year to draft a QB with at least 7 1st round projected QBs. We MUST get one mr Jones. Just do it and let the chips fall.

CWR

Reaction score
I think Cooper Rush is good enough to make the Cowboys competitive; he's far better than Dak.
But if Cooper isn't the guy, you have to look somewhere.
Dak is proven to be incompetent.

Rush is not better, the difference in our offensive output was night and day when Dak came back last year. Do you completely disregard that?

If you want to make an argument he may be better suited for our current scheme I won't speak in absolutes. Otherwise it's just nonsense.

I appreciate Rush, but he's not the answer.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It can get no better than this year to draft a QB with at least 7 1st round projected QBs. We MUST get one mr Jones. Just do it and let the chips fall.
I think they intend to give Lance a very, very hard look before they use a high draft pick on another QB.

I keep telling folks, the Cowboys did not trade a 4th round pick for a backup QB.

In fact, I remember a preseason game right after the Cowboys traded for Lance and Steven Jones was in the booth getting interviewed and said that you usually have to draft a QB like Lance very high and when you wait till the 3rd or 4th round, they are gone. So it was too good of a deal for them to pass up.

This did not sound like they think Lance is a career backup, I think they view Lance as a potential franchise QB with a little development and they may think that is a better alternative to giving Dak $50+ million a year, especially if Dak continues to struggle and we dont make the playoffs.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dak's career hasn't been finished or written yet. Control your damn hate.
So what does Dak actually ADD (especially when the contract + outstanding Bonus starts making him extremely expensive?) ? He needs his receivers to get open, he needs a running game, he needs protection, he doesnt seem able to keep plays alive....he's played under an Air Coryell and now a TCO/WCO.

He doesnt have a strength that defines or creates an Offensive identity. That difference maker stage is just a level too far.

cowboybish

Reaction score
Rusty my dude, good write up. I honestly believe that the best course of action is to open up the offense and let Dak rip it. Whatever happens as a result will yield a more definitive idea of next steps. It’s not working to have him on training wheels. Run the ball, and let him try to tear apart defenses. If he throws 4 tds or 4 picks a game, I think it will be a catalyst for the future with him at QB. If they try to manage and baby him, I don’t think there will be any change.
Agree with this ^^^^^

Hadenough

Reaction score
Remember last year's playoff loss to the 49ers I kept saying why don't they play Rush. Dak was choking so bad what would it hurt to have given Rush a shot in the 4th quarter. He doesn't have a big arm but he reads the defense better and gets rid of the ball quicker. Its insanity Dak is exempt from being benched. He actually deserves some kind of punishment for his actions.
Dak is a spoiled brat blaming everyone else.