what do you all think of Colt MCcoy QB Texas?

Tobal

Reaction score
kevwun;2556319 said:
They're both blonde and played qb at Texas. That's pretty much where the similarities end. Simms was left handed, 2 or 3 inches taller, had a stronger arm, was less mobile and was a much worse decision maker.

That and he folded under pressure like the Dallas Cowboys in December

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
McCoy is going to be a tremendous QB and anyone who has payed any attention to him knows that.

I'd be shocked if he wasn't a top 10 pick as well.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Biggems;2555416 said:
how is Young a bust? He won ROY and he helped his team get to the playoffs last year. Sure his stats arent all that great, but winning is what matters most. Now he has had a setback of late, but he still has some maturing to do. At least he is with a coach who can nurture him and allow him to grow and get better. By no means can you call him a bust.

Vince Youngs abilities in the Pro's have absolutely nothing to do with what Colt can do in the Pro's.

They are just 2 different types of players.

The only worry you will have with Colt McCoy coming out of Texas is his ability to take snaps under center and become a drop back passer.

His feet are so good though that I would be shocked if he doesn't master this quickly.

Colt has good size

Good strength

Can run as well as anybody

Extremely accurate

Extremely smart

Good Arm Strength

His ability to buy time is priceless in the NFL.

Do I even need to mention he is really good in the clutch?

He just has all the intangibles to be great at the next level and anything he lacked physically when he came into College he obviously worked on and fixed.

He is a heck of a playmaker and a heck of a talent.

joseephuss

Reaction score
CATCH17;2556372 said:
McCoy is going to be a tremendous QB and anyone who has payed any attention to him knows that.

I'd be shocked if he wasn't a top 10 pick as well.

I've watched most of his games and don't think he will be a tremendous NFL QB. He may be a good back up and Dallas needs one of those. He makes some poor decisions that don't always hurt him in college. Those same decisions will become turnovers in the NFL.

I guess it is all relative. Making it to the NFL even as a back up is a tremendous accomplishment. I don't see him being a consistent starter or pro-bowler even though he has great heart and fire.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
joseephuss;2556383 said:
I've watched most of his games and don't think he will be a tremendous NFL QB. He may be a good back up and Dallas needs one of those. He makes some poor decisions that don't always hurt him in college. Those same decisions will become turnovers in the NFL.

I guess it is all relative. Making it to the NFL even as a back up is a tremendous accomplishment. I don't see him being a consistent starter or pro-bowler even though he has great heart and fire.

What College Quarterback doesn't?

Matthew Stafford makes more poor decisions by a mile than any other top talent in College football.

For a guy who has to basically single carry an offense I think his decision making is about as good as it gets for a College QB.

I would Love to know what you believe he lacks...?

Tobal

Reaction score
joseephuss;2556383 said:

Sounds like Tony Romo , without the heart and fire at least this year (cough). I think Colt could be a good NFL QB.... he will need time and a coaching staff committed to developing him, he'll put in the work to improve and learn.

Where he reminds me of Tony most is when he breaks out of the pocket he keeps looking downfield. I don't think you can teach that and that allows for some huge plays.

joseephuss

Reaction score
CATCH17;2556395 said:
What College Quarterback doesn't?

Matthew Stafford makes more poor decisions by a mile than any other top talent in College football.

For a guy who has to basically single carry an offense I think his decision making is about as good as it gets for a College QB.

I would Love to know what you believe he lacks...?

I believe he lacks an NFL arm. He has averaged 11.84 yards per completion. That is an average number for the NFL and low for college football. He throws short patterns and deep balls, but he doesn't throw the intermediate passes that well or the deep outs. Those are NFL type throws. I think the deep out is a pass that Romo lacks as well. If he could throw that, it would open up the rest of the field for him and the receiving corps.

I think McCoy lacks NFL size. He has said that if he doesn't work out constantly and eat a whole lot of food that he will lose body mass quickly. I believe it. He is not going to grow any more and he won't get bigger or stronger in the pros. He will be lucky to maintain his current physique.

You are right, college QBs do make poor decisions. Some learn and get better and some don't. McCoy could get better at it and probably will. I just think some of those bad decisions are big plays in college, but are big mistakes in the NFL. Can he avoid the big mistakes and still make the big plays in the NFL? I just don't see it.

I would not mind if I were wrong about McCoy especially if he came to Dallas. I just see a college QB when I watch him. I don't see the upside.

Tobal

Reaction score
It is so hard to know about arm strength, but I've never thought "he didn't get enough on that throw" when watching him play. I'm almost certain I've seen him throw some 15 yrd outs on a line. Not sure what exactly you are wanting to see though.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
joseephuss;2556408 said:
I believe he lacks an NFL arm. He has averaged 11.84 yards per completion. That is an average number for the NFL and low for college football. He throws short patterns and deep balls, but he doesn't throw the intermediate passes that well or the deep outs. Those are NFL type throws. I think the deep out is a pass that Romo lacks as well. If he could throw that, it would open up the rest of the field for him and the receiving corps.

I think McCoy lacks NFL size. He has said that if he doesn't work out constantly and eat a whole lot of food that he will lose body mass quickly. I believe it. He is not going to grow any more and he won't get bigger or stronger in the pros. He will be lucky to maintain his current physique.

You are right, college QBs do make poor decisions. Some learn and get better and some don't. McCoy could get better at it and probably will. I just think some of those bad decisions are big plays in college, but are big mistakes in the NFL. Can he avoid the big mistakes and still make the big plays in the NFL? I just don't see it.

I would not mind if I were wrong about McCoy especially if he came to Dallas. I just see a college QB when I watch him. I don't see the upside.

I tend to agree with you on McCoy however I think with him staying at Texas another year he could continue to develop his skills further. McCoy arm strength looked better this past season than the season before I think with another he will continue to improve in his development

Tobal

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2556423 said:
I tend to agree with you on McCoy however I think with him staying at Texas another year he could continue to develop his skills further. McCoy arm strength looked better this past season than the season before I think with another he will continue to improve in his development

He just wasn't very good his sophomore year, which could be a concern.

kevwun

Reaction score
Matt Stafford hasn't been very good most of his career at Georgia and he's talked about as a possible #1 overall pick.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Tobal;2556430 said:
He just wasn't very good his sophomore year, which could be a concern.

I think some of that had to do with some injuries along the Texas Oline in his sophomore year. Colt this year is getting better protection and he is a bit more experianced. I'm not going to pretend to know what kind of QB he could become in the NFL but I think he is doing the best thing he could by staying in college another year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
joseephuss;2556408 said:

So his arm strength is your biggest worry?

The dude makes every throw and has good zip on his passes.

I dont know what Colt McCoy you have been watching this year but his arm strength is above average now.

Sam Bradford is supposedly a top pick and he can put more on a ball than that guy.

His Size is fine. Especially for the type of Quarterback he.

Last time I checked 6'3 210 will get you by.

And you reffer to his big mistakes... They just weren't there for the most part this season.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
Colt does not have a weak arm....better than most college QB's. He is bigger and stronger than ever and he is very accurate. Not sure what round he will go in after next season, but whoever gets him will get a true competitor with a good head on his shoulders.

ms9221

Reaction score
ESPN Ron Jaws said Colt MCCoy QB Texas could great NFL QB. You Dumb ***** said that MCCoy has a weak are Stupid! Also your the same one wanted Roy Williams the WR and Roy Williams the Safety where did that get no ware home for the playoffs so shut the heck up! Also you all same people wanted Romo out after the Pittsburgh Steelers, now you saying better than most of the QBs in NFL that is a bunch Bull. Romo only thing he cares about himself and future wife Jessica who totally full herself. I want to Super Bowls not dam playboy male lead my team into the Dumps. Thats what Romo going to do. Colt has much better arm then him he is ready to win.

joseephuss

Reaction score
CATCH17;2556629 said:
So his arm strength is your biggest worry?

The dude makes every throw and has good zip on his passes.

I dont know what Colt McCoy you have been watching this year but his arm strength is above average now.

Sam Bradford is supposedly a top pick and he can put more on a ball than that guy.

His Size is fine. Especially for the type of Quarterback he.

Last time I checked 6'3 210 will get you by.

And you reffer to his big mistakes... They just weren't there for the most part this season.

No, I previously said his decision making was my biggest concern. Arm strength and size were other concerns.

No, he did not make the big mistake this season because it was college football. The throws he is getting away with now will not be there when he is in the NFL. He has a penchant for running right and then lofting balls back towards his left into the end zone. It works fine in college and results in big plays. That won't happen at the next level. Those passes will get picked off. I am projecting that the decision he makes and gets away with now need to improve for him to be successful in the NFL.

Like Dooms said, he is coming back for his senior season. My opinion may change after he goes through another year. Right now I don't think he has it. I will repeat that I would not mind at all if I am wrong on my assessment.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Colt McCoy is 7ft tall and the fires of Victory burn behind his beautiful eyes.

Splenda sales are up because Colt McCoy has no equal.

We know!

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Don't they play tonight? I can't find the game in the listings... (going blind)

Tobal

Reaction score
Texas is playing with no fire, looks like they could care less about this game.