what do you all think of Colt MCcoy QB Texas?

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2555101 said:
You do realize is was being sarcastic hence the ;)

:D

Yes, I did read the sarcasm in your post. However, its a matter of team speed. I don't believe OSU can contain the WR corps from Texas.

Tobal

Reaction score
I don't know that the system changed but elements changed it became a pass first offense under Colt, I'd guess 90% of Colts runs were scrambles unlike Young.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy;2555345 said:
Yes, I did read the sarcasm in your post. However, its a matter of team speed. I don't believe OSU can contain the WR corps from Texas.

I only watched one Texas game and that was to root for TT. :D

wick

Reaction score
dbair1967;2555322 said:
Really? Whats different about it?

Pretty much everything except the quarterback lining up in the shotgun. Under Young, the offense revolved around the zone-read play, which Texas essentially no longer runs with McCoy. With Young it was a rush-based offense with a deep passing game. With McCoy, it's a ball-control, short passing attack. They are not similar in most meaningful regards.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
wick;2555362 said:
Pretty much everything except the quarterback lining up in the shotgun. Under Young, the offense revolved around the zone-read play, which Texas essentially no longer runs with McCoy. With Young it was a rush-based offense with a deep passing game. With McCoy, it's a ball-control, short passing attack. They are not similar in most meaningful regards.

I'll watch it closely tonight and see.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
dbair1967;2555318 said:
that sounds exactly like the guy who's a bust doesnt it?

not saying McCoy will bust because Young did, but I do think they can plug just about anyone in that system and make it work there.

how is Young a bust? He won ROY and he helped his team get to the playoffs last year. Sure his stats arent all that great, but winning is what matters most. Now he has had a setback of late, but he still has some maturing to do. At least he is with a coach who can nurture him and allow him to grow and get better. By no means can you call him a bust.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ms9221;2554235 said:
If Romo keep sqrewing us up what about drafting Colt MCcoy in the 2010 NFL Draft?

I think Colt is a very good College QB who will get a chance to play in the NFL one day other than that who knows. As for Romo I'm not ready to sell him down the river.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
jterrell;2554457 said:
Colt is eerily accurate and usually an accurate QB is a successful one.

He may not be a fit for all systems but for something with quick reads and requiring accurate throws like the WCO he is a good fit. I think he is a legit day 1 prospect and would be happy if Dallas could grab him in the 3rd round.

Agreed 100%. I live here in Austin - and I can't stand Texas, but there is no doubt. If it's 3rd and 8, 80% of the time McCoy is going to get the 1st down. IMO, he's going to be a GREAT fit for certain NFL teams.

alancdc

Reaction score
wick;2555319 said:
It's moronic to suggest that Colt McCoy won't be successful in the NFL because his predecessors at Texas have been unsuccessful. How many Southern Mississippi quarterbacks were successful in the NFL before Brett Favre? North Carolina State quarterbacks before Philip Rivers? Tennessee quarterbacks before Peyton Manning? The success or failure of Colt McCoy in the NFL has nothing to do with the success or failure of guys that came before him.

I totally disagree. Eric Kramer was great for NC State before Rivers. Only joking. I don't even know if Rivers was born when Kramer was at State.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hailmary;2554274 said:
If Stafford stays, he may slip a bit. If so, Bradford and Stafford will be the the first 2, forcing all the other QBs down.

Tebow will probably go before McCoy also. Also, if USC has another monster season next year, don't count out Sanchez possibly being drafted before McCoy.

Personally, I think McCoy has a better shot of being drafted higher if he were to come out this year. Next year's going to be a pretty solid QB class.

huh?
All those guys you listed will be in this draft almost certainly.

next year's QB class is weaker for sure.
sanchez and stafford are top 10 picks so they will come out.

bradford will come out because all that can happen for him is for his stock to drop. he is still top 20.

mccoy and tebow are late first mid second type guys who may well hit the jackpot by being drafted by a team that has talent already instead of the Rams or somesuch.

this is a ridiculously deep QB class so I expect McCoy stays at UT.
Though I'd rather see him come out because he could fall a bit with this class being so deep and make a good get for the Cowboys.

Very seldom will a guy completing over 75% of his passes fall below about the 15th spot. That accuracy is a key, key thing for QBs that may get a bit overlooked.

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
i think he is a good QB and hopefully we are not bad enough to be able to draft him.

kevwun

Reaction score
When Vince was at Texas, the zone read was Texas' bread and butter play. With McCoy, they only run it a couple of times a game because Colt is not as good of a runner as Vince. Texas also doesn't have the same type of deep threats as Vince had during his last season. Vince's security blanket was tight end David Thomas. Due to injuries and early NFL departures, Texas didn't have a single pass catching tight end after the Rice game, which was before conference play started. The offense revolves around Colt hitting short throws in really tight spots. He is very mobile and it does help the offense, but his runs are usually scrambles when protection breaks down. He takes off on designed running plays only a handful of times a game. Texas' 2008 offense is very different from 2005 because McCoy and Young are different players who have different strengths.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2555352 said:
I only watched one Texas game and that was to root for TT. :D

I've recently started following TCU to a small degree. There is a chance my step-son will attend there after high school. Of course, of course he's a baseball player and not football. But he's looking at their engineering programs. I am not fond of purple though.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
alancdc;2556033 said:
I totally disagree. Eric Kramer was great for NC State before Rivers. Only joking. I don't even know if Rivers was born when Kramer was at State.

Not that it matters at all but there was a guy who once played for NC State by the name of Roman Gabriel and he was a great QB. That guy could play.

As far as Colt goes, well, I really like Colt McCoy but I don't know if he will be a great QB in the NFL. I know this, I would take him before I would take several others.

There are 5 things that Colt has that could prove to serve him well in the NFL.

1. He's a natural leader and competitor. You must be that to play QB in the NFL. Keep in mind that Texas recruited a Blue Chip player to play QB named Jevan Snead who is now the starting QB for Ole Miss in the SEC. Why is he at Ole Miss? Because he could not beat out Colt. Snead had the advantages when he came to Texas but Colt just would not quit and he eventually won over the coaching staff. That's not an easy thing to do when your competing against a Blue Chip QB prospect. He will not quit and the pressure of compatition will not scare him.

2. He's very tough, maybe too tough. You must be fearless in the NFL to play QB. You gotta be able to take a hit and come back and stand in the next play because you will be tested early and often in the NFL.

3. He's very mobile and I believe that in todays NFL, you must have this. Sure, there are guys who don't have great wheels but honestly, how many guys are there like Payton Manning, ever, in the NFL?

4. He's exceptionally accurate and you must have this in the NFL. He can make all the throws and more importantly, he can throw on the run to either side. He has excellent feet but he could use a bit of work on his mechanics. He tends to leave his feet an throw the ball too much IMO. He will have to correct this. However, he does have that ability to make plays in unorthadox situtaions. For those who say he is only accurate because he plays in a short passing game offense, well, keep in mind that his AYPA is a very respectable 9.2. Graham Harrell's AYPA is only 8.17. Tebow's is 9.38, Chase Daniels is 8.21, Bradford is 10.10, Sanchez was 8.8 and Stafford was 9.0.

5. He's very intelligent. Keep in mind that he has started at Texas since he was a Freshman. That's saying something when you can come in as a Freshman and be succesful. Not just moderate success either. He almost broke the NCAA Freshman record for passing yards. Probably would have if he could have stayed healthy the whole year. He's coachable and he does learn quickly.

There is a lot to like about McCoy IMO. He's listed at 6'3, which I think is a bit generous, but he's a heck of a QB. I would draft him in the 3rd round if I could get hold of him. I think that their are way more things to like about McCoy then there are not to. JMO.

kevwun

Reaction score
I don't think you'd want to put McCoy in an offense where's he chucking it downfield constantly, but he's got a good shot at doing well in a West Coast offense. He doesn't have a cannon, but he's not Chad Pennington either. In the game against Mizzou where someone said he didn't try a throw over 10 yards in the first half, he drilled a 30 yard touchdown pass in to the endzone to Malcolm Williams in the 2nd quarter. He's mobile, a good decision maker and ridiculously accurate. There's a place for him in the NFL.

kevwun

Reaction score
They're both blonde and played qb at Texas. That's pretty much where the similarities end. Simms was left handed, 2 or 3 inches taller, had a stronger arm, was less mobile and was a much worse decision maker.