what do you all think of Colt MCcoy QB Texas?

DallasCowboysRule!

Reaction score
Aikbach;2555187 said:
It doth appear so unless you can get a Walker trade deal for him.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a Romo supporter and think in time he's going to win us a Super Bowl. I just hate having to do my Lovie Smith impersonation. With that said Tony Romo is our quarterback.

Aikbach

Reaction score
DallasCowboysRule!;2555195 said:
Don't get me wrong. I'm a Romo supporter and think in time he's going to win us a Super Bowl. I just hate having to do my Lovie Smith impersonation. With that said Tony Romo is our quarterback.
Indeed he is, but I'd part with him for a dozen draft picks.

DABOYZ

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;2555180 said:
No. No. No. A thousand times no.

McCoy is a fantastic college QB. May very well win the Heisman next year. However, he is NOT an NFL quarterback. He reminds me a lot of Alex Smith. He can execute Texas' offense to perfection, but it's an offense that isnt anything like what he would be playing in at the next level. Texas' offense is based on short throws, zone reads and misdirection. His completion % is inflated because of this, much like Vince Young's was. Texas' throws the ball 20+ yards down the field just 15% of the time. The average NFL offense throws the ball downfield twice that much.

He is projected as a mid-round pick, and he should be. He's a good athlete and might make it in this league at another position. He has good speed and can make people miss in the open field. If he stays at QB, though, he's at best a career bench warmer.

hahahaha!! have you seen him play or are just hating on the guy. Short throws? Did you watch the Texas Tech Game? Kid averaged 9 yards per attempt this year. had 32 td's and 7 pics against a tough schedule.

Check out Romo's stats in college. I believe he had something like 34 td's compared to 18 picks his senior year at Eatern Illinois against DIV II Teams.
Yes Tony is a gamer but so is Colt.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Aikbach;2555193 said:
Now you have me purring by bringing up my resurging alma mater:D
Griffin has a brain as well and can actually hold a conversation unlike some less articulate quarterbacks that shall go unmentioned, here's a hint; his name is Vince Young.:D

I'll be rooting for him (except when he plays A&M, of course). He graduated with honors in high school, was academic all-Big XII second team and says he plans on graduating before/if he goes to the NFL. I really respect that in athletes, especially the ones who know they don't have to.

I've kinda hoped for a while that Baylor would get better in football, because it's better for the conference IMO. I'd much rather see them be near the top than the glorified high schools Tceh or Okie Lite or BlowU. As big a rival as Texas and Baylor are, both are much more respectable schools.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
DABOYZ;2555202 said:
hahahaha!! have you seen him play or are just hating on the guy. Short throws? Did you watch the Texas Tech Game? Kid averaged 9 yards per attempt this year. had 32 td's and 7 pics against a tough schedule.

Check out Romo's stats in college. I believe he had something like 34 td's compared to 18 picks his senior year at Eatern Illinois against DIV II Teams.
Yes Tony is a gamer but so is Colt.

I've watched almost every Texas game in his time there as I live only 3 hours away and get every game on TV.

I'm not talking about his yards per completion. Texas averages more YAC than any team outside of Lubbuck. I'm talking about how far he actually throws the ball, and Texas doesnt throw the ball deep that often.

Like I said, great college QB. Will go down as the greatest ever at Texas in terms of stats and wins.

Aikbach

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;2555204 said:
I'll be rooting for him (except when he plays A&M, of course). He graduated with honors in high school, was academic all-Big XII second team and says he plans on graduating before/if he goes to the NFL. I really respect that in athletes, especially the ones who know they don't have to.

I've kinda hoped for a while that Baylor would get better in football, because it's better for the conference IMO. I'd much rather see them be near the top than the glorified high schools Tceh or Okie Lite or BlowU. As big a rival as Texas and Baylor are, both are much more respectable schools.
You're telling me, 12 years without a winning season hurts, especially since Baylor was a power house in the Southwest Conference.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Aikbach;2555214 said:
You're telling me, 12 years without a winning season hurts, especially since Baylor was a power house in the Southwest Conference.

My dad, who graduated from A&M in '81, and uncle, who graduated from BU in '83, were both at the '86 A&M/Baylor game and still say to this day it's the best football game either of them ever saw. Would be nice to have a rivalry game just 90 miles apart that was played for something more than pride again like it used to be.

Of course, Baylor may very well curb stomp A&M a few more times before we right our ship :banghead:

Aikbach

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;2555223 said:
My dad, who graduated from A&M in '81, and uncle, who graduated from BU in '83, were both at the '86 A&M/Baylor game and still say to this day it's the best football game either of them ever saw. Would be nice to have a rivalry game just 90 miles apart that was played for something more than pride again like it used to be.

Of course, Baylor may very well curb stomp A&M a few more times before we right our ship :banghead:
Possible but it will always be easier for a big state program like A&M to out recruit Baylor unless Baylor builds a sterling reputation like what Art Briles is trying to do.

Baylor was a consistent top 15 team under Grant Teaff because back then national teams didn't plunder the state of Texas to fill their rosters like they do now so even when UT and A&M got their fill Baylor would focus on recruiting Central Texas high school athletes.

They dropped the ball in the 1990s witnessed by the fact that LaDanian Tomlinson and Drew Brees both were in their backyard and Baylor ignored them.

Briles is good recruiter, Guy Morriss got rid of the losing attitude but he failed as a recruiter.

Tobal

Reaction score
I don't know if he's got a great arm, but it's very good and the differences...

Vince Young was never called accurate, watch any of Colts games and tell me he is not accurate. He had to make much tougher throws than Harrel or Bradford as his WR's rarely got good seperation... I don't think remeber ever hearing bad things about Youngs work ethic btw, accuracy issues, yes.

Applewhite was small and had horrible knees he could have been a Garrett, but he wanted to get on with his coaching carreer.

Simms was never ever called tough, physical (at Texas) or mental...something you hear often when Colt is brought up.

Watch the OU Texas game, almost every throw had to be perfect.... kills me to say it, but OU was better ..except Colt made perfect throws to covered WR's and wore down OU with body blow 3rd down conversions.... not runs... tough throws.

For toughness physically a weaker team, but he got hammered by the Aggies...

It would be a learning curve because he is atheletic, but relying on that in the NFL wouldn't work.... I like that he improves, and works on his game, he's a gym rat like Tony is (used to be?). I really think they have similar games and he'd be a great backup to Tony.

How tall is he though? Seems at least as tall as Tony, but you can't trust team listings.

One last time find the OU Texas game and watch the throws he made that game, amazing accuracy.

Now i do take in some beverages during games, but I'd love someone to show 10 throws where he missed his WR this yr.. and about them only throwing short? Did you even watch UT this year?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Aikbach;2555175 said:
I can't speak with great authority but can someone offer to me how Mr.McCoy differs in promise from Major Applewhite or Chris Simms? I ask in earnest and not to put him down, I'm curious as to why he is deemed beter since all Texas quarterbacks are good at the college level under Mack Brown and not one has produced a pro career that matches their collegiate efforts.

Again, I'm not trying to make a gross generalization of guilt by association to Colt McCoy I just want a relatively unbias case for him.

Applewhite was a great college QB, a great field general. He was just too small to excel in the NFL. Flutie is definitely the exception, not the rule. I think Major could have been a quality backup, but he lost the fire for being a player. He was more passionate about coaching.

Simms has the size and arm strength to be an NFL QB. He just wilts under pressure. He also never had to work hard for anything. Because he is Phil's son, he has been fed with a silver spoon.

Colt was small and fragile as a freshman. He was still darn good, but not very durable. In 2 years he has bulked up considerably. He has also improved in field leadership. He can make any throw on the field. He is accurate. He is calm and cool in the huddle. He has mobility, but can also be a pocket passer. Honestly, the only knock anyone can say about him is the system he runs.

I find it funny that people tout Bradford, but bash Colt. Bradford runs a spread offense as well. His OL is better. He has a legit TE and a much better running game. He also plays more in garbage time. So of course his stats are through the roof and it is easier for him to be successful. Bradford is far less mobile than Colt, and would have gotten killed this year if he played for the Horns. Honestly, Bradford would have gotten killed behind any line except OU and Bama.

I think Colt and Bradford will both be very good in the NFL. I am not sold on Daniel, Reesing, or Harrell though.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Tobal;2555228 said:
I don't know if he's got a great arm, but it's very good and the differences...

Vince Young was never called accurate, watch any of Colts games and tell me he is not accurate. He had to make much tougher throws than Harrel or Bradford as his WR's rarely got good seperation... I don't think remeber ever hearing bad things about Youngs work ethic btw, accuracy issues, yes.

Applewhite was small and had horrible knees he could have been a Garrett, but he wanted to get on with his coaching carreer.

Simms was never ever called tough, physical (at Texas) or mental...something you hear often when Colt is brought up.

Watch the OU Texas game, almost every throw had to be perfect.... kills me to say it, but OU was better ..except Colt made perfect throws to covered WR's and wore down OU with body blow 3rd down conversions.... not runs... tough throws.

For toughness physically a weaker team, but he got hammered by the Aggies...

It would be a learning curve because he is atheletic, but relying on that in the NFL wouldn't work.... I like that he improves, and works on his game, he's a gym rat like Tony is (used to be?). I really think they have similar games and he'd be a great backup to Tony.

How tall is he though? Seems at least as tall as Tony, but you can't trust team listings.

One last time find the OU Texas game and watch the throws he made that game, amazing accuracy.

Now i do take in some beverages during games, but I'd love someone to show 10 throws where he missed his WR this yr.. and about them only throwing short? Did you even watch UT this year?

Watch the TT/UT game and look at the throws his receivers were dropping....right in their hands, including Shipley a few times.

Most of his incompletions this year were drops by the WRs. very seldom did he made a poor throw.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Biggems;2555232 said:
Applewhite was a great college QB, a great field general. He was just too small to excel in the NFL. Flutie is definitely the exception, not the rule. I think Major could have been a quality backup, but he lost the fire for being a player. He was more passionate about coaching.

Simms has the size and arm strength to be an NFL QB. He just wilts under pressure. He also never had to work hard for anything. Because he is Phil's son, he has been fed with a silver spoon.

Colt was small and fragile as a freshman. He was still darn good, but not very durable. In 2 years he has bulked up considerably. He has also improved in field leadership. He can make any throw on the field. He is accurate. He is calm and cool in the huddle. He has mobility, but can also be a pocket passer. Honestly, the only knock anyone can say about him is the system he runs.

I find it funny that people tout Bradford, but bash Colt. Bradford runs a spread offense as well. His OL is better. He has a legit TE and a much better running game. He also plays more in garbage time. So of course his stats are through the roof and it is easier for him to be successful. Bradford is far less mobile than Colt, and would have gotten killed this year if he played for the Horns. Honestly, Bradford would have gotten killed behind any line except OU and Bama.

I think Colt and Bradford will both be very good in the NFL. I am not sold on Daniel, Reesing, or Harrell though.
Tech quarterbacks are a dime a dozen and up until perhaps McCoy so were UT signal callers.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2554249 said:
He plays for Texas so he sucks ;)

lol...are you sure bout dat???
he is a solid QB....i think they win the Tostitos Bowl...
next years Heisman Trophy Winner..
sorry but your wrong...
!!!GO TEXAS!!!

http://i267.***BLOCKED***/albums/ii317/COWBOYSSB3/untitled8copy8ij.jpg

Tobal

Reaction score
I don't know if they win or not, they were on a nice roll, but they are in a no win situation....

If they lose then we hear... see they weren't that good and if they win we hear well Ohio State sucked.

Ohio State needs this win more than Texas and that bothers me.

DABOYZ

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;2555211 said:
I've watched almost every Texas game in his time there as I live only 3 hours away and get every game on TV.

I'm not talking about his yards per completion. Texas averages more YAC than any team outside of Lubbuck. I'm talking about how far he actually throws the ball, and Texas doesnt throw the ball deep that often.

Like I said, great college QB. Will go down as the greatest ever at Texas in terms of stats and wins.

So you would rather see this kid in a Commanders Uniform? Yea Right.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
cowboyschmps3;2555249 said:
lol...are you sure bout dat???
he is a solid QB....i think they win the Tostitos Bowl...
next years Heisman Trophy Winner..
sorry but your wrong...
!!!GO TEXAS!!!

http://i267.***BLOCKED***/albums/ii317/COWBOYSSB3/untitled8copy8ij.jpg

Do some of you not know what a ;) means?

I was joking, kidding, being sarcastic

I wish my team had a qb as McCoy this year. Our strength was our wr's and at one point we were down to our 4th string qb.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
silverbear;2555166 said:
Yeah, he was only second in the Heisman voting, and set an NCAA record for completion percentage in a season... all while leading his team in rushing, because he didn't have much of a running game supporting him...

All he did was carry the Horns' offense on his back the entire season... without him, the Horns aren't much better than a .500 team this year...

that sounds exactly like the guy who's a bust doesnt it?

not saying McCoy will bust because Young did, but I do think they can plug just about anyone in that system and make it work there.

wick

Reaction score
It's moronic to suggest that Colt McCoy won't be successful in the NFL because his predecessors at Texas have been unsuccessful. How many Southern Mississippi quarterbacks were successful in the NFL before Brett Favre? North Carolina State quarterbacks before Philip Rivers? Tennessee quarterbacks before Peyton Manning? The success or failure of Colt McCoy in the NFL has nothing to do with the success or failure of guys that came before him.

wick

Reaction score
dbair1967;2555318 said:
that sounds exactly like the guy who's a bust doesnt it?

not saying McCoy will bust because Young did, but I do think they can plug just about anyone in that system and make it work there.

You do realize that "that system" changed dramatically for Vince Young and again for Colt McCoy, right?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
wick;2555320 said:
You do realize that "that system" changed dramatically for Vince Young and again for Colt McCoy, right?

Really? Whats different about it?