CZ POLL What do you think the Cowboys should offer Dak? *** POLL CLOSED ***

What do you think the Cowboys should offer Dak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I've never figured that one out.
I'm okay either way. 4 or 5

But from Cowboys' perspective
  • They can spread out the cap hit, maybe fortify roster a bit more
  • They get control of 5th year....can keep him or release after 4
  • 100 guaranteed over 5 is more team friendly than same over 4
  • 5 years lines up his contract expiration with his draft class---Goff and Wentz

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Since there are countless threads on the topic, I thought an official poll might be in order.

What do you think the Cowboys should offer Dak?

Why wasn't $1 billion dollars an option? I mean technically $35 million plus is, but I don't think any of the options represented my views

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm okay either way. 4 or 5

But from Cowboys' perspective
  • They can spread out the cap hit, maybe fortify roster a bit more
  • They get control of 5th year....can keep him or release after 4
  • 100 guaranteed over 5 is more team friendly than same over 4
  • 5 years lines up his contract expiration with his draft class---Goff and Wentz
But the problem is there is a player perspective too. He just wants as much money, particularly guaranteed money, as he can get, and likely only wants the team to control him for an additional 4 years.

I'm no really sure why the contract expiration lining up with Goff and Wentz would be an issue. Their rookie contracts didn't line up, so it's not unreasonable to think their 2nd contracts wouldn't either.

DFWJC

Reaction score
But the problem is there is a player perspective too. He just wants as much money, particularly guaranteed money, as he can get, and likely only wants the team to control him for an additional 4 years.

I'm no really sure why the contract expiration lining up with Goff and Wentz would be an issue. Their rookie contracts didn't line up, so it's not unreasonable to think their 2nd contracts wouldn't either.
Of course there is a player perspective.
And water is wet.
That's why there are negotiations.

He was curious about why Dallas would want 5 years and I gave him some reasons. Did not say (and never said) that Dallas is right or wrong.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So this is interesting to me. Basically, 73.2% of all respondents are in favor of Dak signing a deal that is 35M AAV or less, according to this poll. That's very interesting to me. I discounted the 8.5 that advocates releasing Dak out of hand and just starting Dalton. Only 18.4 favor a contract that is higher then what we've heard reported.

Public opinion, according to this poll, does not seem to favor increased contract demands. That's actually a much smaller percentage then I expected, in terms of favoring more money. This board seems to be so divided on that issue but this poll seems to suggest that it's a much smaller group who support that position. Perhaps they are just loader, IDK.

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
Yep, don't get the furor over not having him signed long term. He's not going to show up for 31.4M this season and 38M next, if they tag him back to back?

The one possible fly in the ointment on that is the unknown effect on the cap if this season is altered.

I would have stopped all negotiations after tagging him with an agreement to re-visit this after this season.

Yup, I definitely agree with that. Play on the tag the first year and revisit.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course there is a player perspective.
And water is wet.
That's why there are negotiations.

He was curious about why Dallas would want 5 years and I gave him some reasons. Did not say (and never said) that Dallas is right or wrong.
The question wasn't simply why Dallas would want 5 years, it was why they would want 5 years if they weren't sold on Dak. And that question was a response to another poster who suggested that the Cowboys wanting 5 years somehow indicated the Cowboys weren't sold on Dak.

Big_D

Reaction score
It's not as if Dak is a rookie with no background for McCarthy to judge from, and it's not as if McCarthy is going to have his QB start doing backflips and blind throws and all sorts of things that he hasn't seen Dak do before.

It's still a different style of offense. Makes sense to see the changes in running one to the other.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So this is interesting to me. Basically, 73.2% of all respondents are in favor of Dak signing a deal that is 35M AAV or less, according to this poll. That's very interesting to me. I discounted the 8.5 that advocates releasing Dak out of hand and just starting Dalton. Only 18.4 favor a contract that is higher then what we've heard reported.

Public opinion, according to this poll, does not seem to favor increased contract demands. That's actually a much smaller percentage then I expected, in terms of favoring more money. This board seems to be so divided on that issue but this poll seems to suggest that it's a much smaller group who support that position. Perhaps they are just loader, IDK.

What are you talking about bud????

73.2% of all respondents are in favor of Dak signing a deal that is 35M AAV or less, according to this poll.

1. Let Dak play on Franchise Tag offer; start Dalton if he holds out
    90 vote(s)
    44.8%
  2. *
    Release Dak and Start Dalton
    17 vote(s)
    8.5%
That's almost 55% that don't want to give Dak a new contract either the Tag or Dalton.
I bet you flunked math bud????

Big_D

Reaction score
You say that as if it is the only alternative. It ignores the alternative choice to not enter into this expense in the first place.

I'm saying instead of a long term deal he plays on the tag in year 1, then possibly year 2. Nothing definitive there. There are other options.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What are you talking about bud????

73.2% of all respondents are in favor of Dak signing a deal that is 35M AAV or less, according to this poll.

1. Let Dak play on Franchise Tag offer; start Dalton if he holds out
    90 vote(s)
    44.8%
  2. *
    Release Dak and Start Dalton
    17 vote(s)
    8.5%
That's almost 55% that don't want to give Dak a new contract either the Tag or Dalton.
I bet you flunked math bud????

Check the revised.

And for the record, I'm not your Bud.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's still a different style of offense. Makes sense to see the changes in running one to the other.
It's a different style of offense to some degree, but, again, it's not as if the different style is going to be like the difference between swinging a golf club and playing hockey. Throwing a 15 yard sideline pattern requires the same skill regardless of the scheme, and reading a defense is something a QB either has the talent for or he doesn't.

McCarthy knows Dak's skills, and he knows the skills he wants in his offense, so, again, it's not as if it's just a shot in the dark to see if Dak has the right skills.

Iago33

Reaction score
They are for the player, but not for the team. For the player they are committing a certain number of years in exchange for a certain level of pay. With Goff an Wentz the number of years was 4.

For the team the difference is in the ability to spread the cap hit over a long time because the signing bonus gets paid up front and therefore a part of the hit can be allocated to the years remaining on the rookie deal. The Eagles and Rams got that benefit by extending before the rookie contracts were finished.
This seems logical gymnastics. They aren’t the same for the team or the player—unless the player doesn’t get any additional money the first year. He does. It’s a five year contract that folds the first year in with the new years.

Big_D

Reaction score
It's a different style of offense to some degree, but, again, it's not as if the different style is going to be like the difference between swinging a golf club and playing hockey. Throwing a 15 yard sideline pattern requires the same skill regardless of the scheme, and reading a defense is something a QB either has the talent for or he doesn't.

McCarthy knows Dak's skills, and he knows the skills he wants in his offense, so, again, it's not as if it's just a shot in the dark to see if Dak has the right skills.

It's an up tempo offense. Usually putting a ball in a spot before your receiver gets there or even turns around. Lets not pretend Dak does that well. He waits for a play to unfold. It's still different. His skillset ran one style of offense. All 15 yard outs aren't created equal. So makes sense to see if anything changes before giving him a huge deal. Guaranteeing 33 million instead of 100+.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
No point in him playing on the tag. If he signs the tag trade him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This seems logical gymnastics. They aren’t the same for the team or the player—unless the player doesn’t get any additional money the first year. He does. It’s a five year contract that folds the first year in with the new years.
By this thinking Wentz and Goff would have actually signed a 6 year contract because some of their signing bonus was paid when Wentz and Goff still had 2 years on their rookie deal. But when payments are made is different than the term of the contract. The term of their contract extension was 4 years. The signing bonus paid in advance was for those 4 year, not for the last 2 years of the rookie deal.

What you are saying is like saying if a person signs a contract to rent an apartment for 12 months, and the renter pays a deposit a month before the lease starts, then the lease becomes a 13 month lease rather than a 12 month lease. Obviously that's not the case, and it's just a matter of how payment for the 12 month lease is structured.

Status
Not open for further replies.