CZ POLL What do you think the Cowboys should offer Dak? *** POLL CLOSED ***

What do you think the Cowboys should offer Dak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And you have proof of this?
Fair enough, I can't say this with certainty. But it does seem that the most consistent story has been that length of contract is the sticking point, and I recall Jerry or Stephen saying after the season that their goal was to sign Dak for a longer than other QBs signed for.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Fair enough, I can't say this with certainty. But it does seem that the most consistent story has been that length of contract is the sticking point, and I recall Jerry or Stephen saying after the season that their goal was to sign Dak for a longer than other QBs signed for.

I do believe it is length of contract as well, I just want to make the point that we have no confirmed details. I believe the team has offered int he area of 35 AAV, 105/110 guaranteed for 5 years. I also believe that Dak's camp does not want to sign a 5 year deal. I do not agree with the statement that it is like Wentz and Goff. Those deals were both extensions and that's a huge difference. They were added on to remaining years the team already had each player under contract for. I believe that the extension provided 6 years and that's huge when you are trying to manage your cap. Big, big difference in terms of both money and years.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do believe it is length of contract as well, I just want to make the point that we have no confirmed details. I believe the team has offered int he area of 35 AAV, 105/110 guaranteed for 5 years. I also believe that Dak's camp does not want to sign a 5 year deal. I do not agree with the statement that it is like Wentz and Goff. Those deals were both extensions and that's a huge difference. They were added on to remaining years the team already had each player under contract for. I believe that the extension provided 6 years and that's huge when you are trying to manage your cap. Big, big difference in terms of both money and years.
No, the extension just added 4 years to Wentz and Goff's contract. They still had 2 years left on their rookie deals. Of course, because they got a signing bonus up front they did get some money up front, which, as you indicated, helped the team spread the cap hit over 6 years rather than just the 4 year extension period, but that's a benefit on the team side. From the player's standpoint the extension just added 4 years of team control above what their rookie contract called for.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No, the extension just added 4 years to Wentz and Goff's contract. They still had 2 years left on their rookie deals. Of course, because they got a signing bonus up front they did get some money up front, which, as you indicated, helped the team spread the cap hit over 6 years rather than just the 4 year extension period, but that's a benefit on the team side. From the player's standpoint the extension just added 4 years of team control above what their rookie contract called for.

Yes, that's exactly what I said in my previous post so yes, more years to work with and less AAV spread out over more years. Look at the contracts of each player. See how money was moved around to alleviate cap hit. The team can't look at this from the perspective of the players and while I understand that players want to negotiate the best deal, I can't side with that and I see it as irresponsible for the team to agree any deal that compromises it's ability to manage the cap. These are not the same deals. You can't say that they are because Dak has no additional years with which to work with. The team can not use additional years to help spread out the cap hit. We would have to absorb the money in few years which, in and of itself, proves that they are not the same.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, that's exactly what I said in my previous post so yes, more years to work with and less AAV spread out over more years. Look at the contracts of each player. See how money was moved around to alleviate cap hit. The team can't look at this from the perspective of the players and while I understand that players want to negotiate the best deal, I can't side with that and I see it as irresponsible for the team to agree any deal that compromises it's ability to manage the cap. These are not the same deals. You can't say that they are because Dak has no additional years with which to work with. The team can not use additional years to help spread out the cap hit. We would have to absorb the money in few years which, in and of itself, proves that they are not the same.

They aren't the same deal from the team standpoint, but they are from the player standpoint. For the player 4 years is 4 years. The difference is that the Eagles and Rams were more agressive than the Cowboys and signed their players with life still on the contract, and that allowed them flexibility with the salary cap. The Cowboys did not, they aren't in the same position to spread the cap hit over a longer time period.

That said, I don't blame the Cowboys for trying to get the best deal they can, and trying to structure things in a way that benefits the team. The team has its interest, and the player has his, and that's why they have to negotiate.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Which would put him in the range of Goff and Wentz.
More than them, but that wasn't the point, OV.
I think the offer is already right around 35/yr, so to have had 35+ as the very highest option wasn't balanced...imo.
It kind of overlaps both their offer and, by adding the plus, his ask. Maybe a 36-40 range option and then a 41+ option?
But it's irrelevant. Just splitting hairs

Fwiw, I read today that Dallas has raised the guaranteed money to over 110--so the highest ever.
But they haven't quite reached Wilson per year money--which is 35--but instead are right below it.
So higher than Goff and Wentz but very slightly lower than Wilson.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I think the offer is already right around 35/yr, so to have had 35+ as the very highest option wasn't balanced...imo.
It kind of overlaps both their offer and, by adding the plus, his ask. Maybe a 36-40 range option and then a 41+ option?

Fwiw, I read today that Dallas has raised the guaranteed money to over 110--so the highest ever.
But they haven't quite reached Wilson per year money--which is 35--but instead are right below it.
Sounds like it might be tough to make it on 35 million a year, but tell Dak he can clip coupons.

DFWJC

Reaction score
the exact one he was offered at seasons end 33/105 5years..thats it..
It's now supposedly about 5 years, high 34s/yr ("above 34 but just under 35 that Wilson gets") and 110+ guaranteed

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Slightly more than them on the annual pay, but not on guaranteed pay, which is more important. Of course, if they get to $110 that would be slightly higher, but still, it's for 5 years of team control instead of 4.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Slightly more than them on the annual pay, but not on guaranteed pay, which is more important. Of course, if they get to $110 that would be slightly higher, but still, it's for 5 years of team control instead of 4.
110+ is higher than them. At David Moore said today they guaranteed offer now tops any player--including goof and Wentz.
Also, Goff and Wentz got extensions which amounted to a total of 5 years control, not 4

Their last year is 2024. On a 5 year deal, so would Dak's. Dallas lines up with Goff and Wentz, but using new contract vs and extension.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
I don't think the Cowboys should increase the 5th year. I think they should put the deal they believe is fair and ride with that. It would seem that that deal is 35 AAV, which I would agree with. I believe that's more then fair, to be honest. More then I would pay but Jerry has always overpaid players so I guess I'm not really surprised. I would not pay the extra for the 5th year. I see no reason to do it really. I think you just put that deal out there and let that be the offer or let Dak ride on the tag.

Fact is, I haven't really seen anything under 30 discussed since early on in the extension talk (2018), which never took place. Since, it's always been in the 30 to 35 area but that's only what I remember. I mean, it could have happened, this under 30 stuff but I can't say that I really remember it much. Certainly in most of the recent threads, it's never been anything close to that number.

So again, if the offer is 35 AAV over 5 years, say 110 guaranteed, you are of the opinion that Dak should sign that deal? Is that your opinion or do I have that wrong?
I answered that. I have no opinion on whether Dak should sign or not sign the deal. I think he should do whatever he believes is in his best interest. I hope they come to an agreement and aren't stuck with a QB playing on the tag.

leeblair

Reaction score
Give Dak a juice bar at the stadium as an incentive. Money talks, govnor. Right you are.
It's too late to do what they should have done. They should have tagged him with the non-exclusive tag and let that play out as it would.
The exclusive tag guaranteed him too much money to begin with, so now he thinks he's got leverage.
The Cowboys made a huge mistake.

basel90

Reaction score
I don't think the Cowboys should increase the 5th year. I think they should put the deal they believe is fair and ride with that. It would seem that that deal is 35 AAV, which I would agree with. I believe that's more then fair, to be honest. More then I would pay but Jerry has always overpaid players so I guess I'm not really surprised. I would not pay the extra for the 5th year. I see no reason to do it really. I think you just put that deal out there and let that be the offer or let Dak ride on the tag.

Fact is, I haven't really seen anything under 30 discussed since early on in the extension talk (2018), which never took place. Since, it's always been in the 30 to 35 area but that's only what I remember. I mean, it could have happened, this under 30 stuff but I can't say that I really remember it much. Certainly in most of the recent threads, it's never been anything close to that number.

So again, if the offer is 35 AAV over 5 years, say 110 guaranteed, you are of the opinion that Dak should sign that deal? Is that your opinion or do I have that wrong?
Agree , but still think 35 mil is very high . Dak is worth 15-20 mil max . Given Andy dalton agreed to play ar 3 mil , 35 mil seems super crazy.

basel90

Reaction score
Dak’s agent succeeded so far in raising the level of expectations for Dak salary , from a 28-30 mil to 35-40 mil or more . It is a negotiation tactic based on over asking to raise the ceiling . I hope Jerry and Stephen know better . Dak should feel privileged he got a 33- 35 mil offer .
if he won’t sign ... move on and start Andy .

Status
Not open for further replies.