What does an acceptable rebuild transition period look like for you?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I tend to think the exact opposite. In a rebuild patience is the worst thing you can have sometimes. Not saying you don't have some grace for players as they develop, but you have to have the urgency to rebuild before the influx of talent gets expensive. Too many mega contracts is what has the Cowboys in the position they are in today. The lack of willingness to be aggressive in free agency at times and make that trade deadline deal to patch a hole has been this teams biggest obstacle. Part of the appeal of a rebuild for the Cowboys is freeing up some cap space to recreate that flexibility to be more aggressive
In todays NFL, if you dont have a top tier QB, your ceiling is limited. Players like Brady and Mahomes get the hardware. Everyone else is a bridesmaid, unless you get incredibly agressive like the Rams. And Stafford was no scrub.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If all these top pick QB's coming out college are supposed to be legit, maybe it is the team around them holding them back.

How does Mac Jones play great his rookie year then drops the next 2 years. Maybe because he went from having a legit OC, to having DC become his OC in year 2 and a 3rd OC in year three.

Could that possible have anything to do with his development?
There aren’t too many examples of a 1st round QB fail with the team that drafted him then went on to be a legit franchise QB somewhere else.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In today’s NFL, if you dont have a top tier QB, your ceiling is limited. Players like Brady and Mahomes get the hardware. Everyone else is a bridesmaid, unless you get incredibly agressive like the Rams. And Stafford was no scrub.
You need much more than a top tier QB.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
When we build the right team we only need a Dilfer. You let me know when we build a team.
that some stupid stuff right there. Get me a dilfer.... so when we have a top 2 or 3 defenses in the entire History of the NFL, then we can have a Dilfer? Thats some stupid stuff right there. if it were that easy, everyone would do it. But if IM not mistaken, the team with Mahomes has 3 of the last 4 titles, and the other... they had Brady.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If you can get a taker for Lamb for 2 1sts I do it all day every day. Fixes your cap situation, nets you two premium picks, and you can even be in the running for a top free agent this year if you wanted to. That is exactly how you build a complete roster. I'm skeptical he makes it to free agency so maybe its not the best example, but if you could land a Chris Jones while also getting 2 1st round picks in exchange for Lamb you would say no?

It's similar to what KC did moving on from Tyreek Hill and that's worked out pretty well for them. I'm a massive Ceedee Lamb fan, but the lack of willingness to every now and then cash in on a player when their value will never be higher is exactly what's held this franchise back for so long.
so wait..... you want to get rid of Lamb, so you can replace him with a very high priced free agent???? sounds like a plan.

Chasing6

Reaction score
that some stupid stuff right there. Get me a dilfer.... so when we have a top 2 or 3 defenses in the entire History of the NFL, then we can have a Dilfer? Thats some stupid stuff right there. if it were that easy, everyone would do it. But if IM not mistaken, the team with Mahomes has 3 of the last 4 titles, and the other... they had Brady.
Is it easier to find Dilfer or Mahomes?

Build a team and stop blaming a legit QB for not overcoming his GM's incompetence.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
so wait..... you want to get rid of Lamb, so you can replace him with a very high priced free agent???? sounds like a plan.
Not saying you have to do that, but it certainly becomes an option if you move a high dollar contract. Add in two 1st round picks and yeah I wouldn’t complain for a second.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Build a team and stop blaming a legit QB for not overcoming his GM's incompetence.
Lots of teams have Dilfer.... thats EASY. But start naming the teams that have a defense that even approaches the 2000 Ravens. Ill have a few beers while I wait for your answer.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Not saying you have to do that, but it certainly becomes an option if you move a high dollar contract. Add in two 1st round picks and yeah I wouldn’t complain for a second.
so you think Lamb would bring 2 1st rd picks? and even if you did get those, you think you have a guarantee that you are gonna hit on those two 1st rd picks. Go look at the 2021 1st rd of the NFL draft. Go find me all the players from that draft that are in the same tier as cee dee lamb. Id argue you might have 5 out of the 32 picks that year that are in Lambs quality of a player. Yea, those are good odds....smh

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Im giving you facts.... you can make stuff up if you want. FACT is that 85% of teams that win the SB have a superstar type qb, or at least one that had a superstar season. Cam Newton was never a GREAT QB, but the year that they went to the SB, he was the league MVP. Had he put 10 seasons together like he did that year, the Panthers would have made 2 or 3 more SBs.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Im giving you facts.... you can make stuff up if you want. FACT is that 85% of teams that win the SB have a superstar type qb, or at least one that had a superstar season. Cam Newton was never a GREAT QB, but the year that they went to the SB, he was the league MVP. Had he put 10 seasons together like he did that year, the Panthers would have made 2 or 3 more SBs.
Dak was runner up for MVP. He lead the league in multiple categories.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Dak was runner up for MVP. He lead the league in multiple categories.
you are correct, and as long as he played at that level, this team was winning. In the Bills, Niners and Packers game..... he played more like Trent Dilfer.... and the Cowboys got smoked in all 3 of those games.

Chasing6

Reaction score
you are correct, and as long as he played at that level, this team was winning. In the Bills, Niners and Packers game..... he played more like Trent Dilfer.... and the Cowboys got smoked in all 3 of those games.
Go back and look at Aikman's playoff stats my friend.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
What was stupid was trading 3 first round picks for Trance.

How many super star WR's did Brady have again?

If you like the Super Star approach and want to spend half your salary cap on 6 players, you will struggling to win a SB.

Have a few Superstars, and a bad playoff team. Sell tickets and merch and call it a season.
Thank you Niners!

#Lance2024

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Go back and look at Aikman's playoff stats my friend.
why oh why oh why do we want to compare stats from non salary cap season and when the NFL was a totally different game. Go back and look at Bart Star's stats while we are at it. Hell, lets look at Bob Griese's stats for fun also. Super Bowl 5... Griese threw for 295 TOTAL yards in 3 Super Bowls. There... does that help your argument???? only in your mind it does. The fact defenses could beat the hell out of receivers and clobber QBs all game had nothing to do with it.... did it?

Chasing6

Reaction score
why oh why oh why do we want to compare stats from non salary cap season and when the NFL was a totally different game. Go back and look at Bart Star's stats while we are at it. Hell, lets look at Bob Griese's stats for fun also. Super Bowl 5... Griese threw for 295 TOTAL yards in 3 Super Bowls. There... does that help your argument???? only in your mind it does. The fact defenses could beat the hell out of receivers and clobber QBs all game had nothing to do with it.... did it?
Because he is a God to Cowboys fans.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
so you think Lamb would bring 2 1st rd picks? and even if you did get those, you think you have a guarantee that you are gonna hit on those two 1st rd picks. Go look at the 2021 1st rd of the NFL draft. Go find me all the players from that draft that are in the same tier as cee dee lamb. Id argue you might have 5 out of the 32 picks that year that are in Lambs quality of a player. Yea, those are good odds....smh
I would imagine Lamb is the type of player you could get two 1st for. It would be similar value to the Tyreek Hill trade. KC didn't get 2 1sts, however they did get 5 picks in total, and hitting on Trent McDuffie was a big reason they were able to win it all this year. Anything less than two 1sts and I would say I would need more details on how high those picks are before making a decision.

Still it goes back to the total package though whereas you're choosing to only focus on one piece at a time. In a situation where you move on from Lamb you'd be getting multiple draft picks in return and freeing up $30M annually with the idea that the sum of all those pieces outweigh the value of Lamb alone. Yes, there is certainly a chance that you completely swing and miss, but there is also a chance that Lamb injures his ACL and isnt 100% until 2026. Plus there is a chance the Cowboys don't miss and come out way ahead.

I'm not saying you have to move on from Lamb either, but the fear of this team actually taking a calculated risk to improve the team is part of what has held it back in my opinion. The more quality players you can have on rookie deals the larger the margin for error on something like paying a Dak/Parsons/Lamb record setting deals. It's simply a game where it becomes tough to keep everyone and upgrade the roster at the same time. The Cowboys are going through that right now.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Is there a guarantee that CD continues to play at a high level every year? Especially, if we have no idea who our QB will be after Dak.