What does an acceptable rebuild transition period look like for you?

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm just curious for those who want to blow it up, or at the very least move on from Dak. How long would you be comfortable absolutely sucking after?
This isn't a loaded question either, or a disguised thread to fearmonger what losing dak would look like. I'm just coming around, and wondering how others feel.

I'd hate just being terrible with no hope for 3 years +.
It all depends on how it is managed. If one were to trade away some talented players, it would take 2-3 seasons. Refusing to make moves, more like 4-6.

Havic

Reaction score
2-3 years tops

CD can get you 2 1's
Parsons can get you 2 1's + picks
Trade / or cut Dak

Now in these 2-3 years you get rid of bad contracts for old players or just straight up bad contracts period. You got potentially 6 1's in the next 2 drafts and will free up cap space after. Hit on those picks and grab some quality FA's and you got yourself a team. For me, it really comes down to Lance.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
2-3 years tops

CD can get you 2 1's
Parsons can get you 2 1's + picks
Trade / or cut Dak

Now in these 2-3 years you get rid of bad contracts for old players or just straight up bad contracts period. You got potentially 6 1's in the next 2 drafts and will free up cap space after. Hit on those picks and grab some quality FA's and you got yourself a team. For me, it really comes down to Lance.
CeeDee won’t get even one 1st round pick as he’s about to become expensive and a first round receiver doesn’t. Parsons perhaps a second round pick, but since he can’t shut up, likely just a 3rd. Like Jerry, you overvalue Cowboys’ players and under value draft capital.

Slick

Reaction score
We’ll fall apart without him. Everything the Cowboys do offensively revolves around Dak. He has to put up a lot of yards and TDs for us to be successful. There’s been games where he’s been under constant pressure and has the shoulder the load. We can lower his cap hit by extending him. We simply can’t move on from him and continue to be a contending team.
How'd he shoulder those playoff loads?

Cooper won a few games without him........ He isn't the team.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How'd he shoulder those playoff loads?

Cooper won a few games without him........ He isn't the team.
Any astute football fan knows why we won games with Cooper Rush. Apparently you’re not a very astute fan. It was our defense and kicker that we’re winning those games, which allowed Rush to manage games. We never gave up more than 17 points during his 5 wins. We won a game against the Rams with Rush only passing for 102 yards. Our pass rush was on pace to break the 84 Bears sack record. No QB can shoulder most of the load in the playoffs and be successful. If your defense is playing poorly and you can’t run the ball your QB will struggle regardless who it is. Look at the playoff struggles Lamar Jackson, and Josh Allen have had. Look at the playoff struggles Aaron Rodgers has had having to carry his team. Mahomes had a terrible Super Bowl against Tampa having the shoulder the load.

Slick

Reaction score
You mean the QB's they completely lucked into that no one, including them knew were good? That they could have easily missed on? Anytime this franchise has targeted a high draft pick at QB they've been awful, NFL busts. Quincy Carter, Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch, etc. The only reason Romo even chose to stay in Dallas initially when he was an undrafted FA was how bad the QB room was other than Bledsoe.
Maybe this means the Jones' basically don't know anything about football or talent, and should be less hands on?

Slick

Reaction score
Any astute football fan knows why we won games with Cooper Rush. Apparently you’re not a very astute fan. It was our defense and kicker that we’re winning those games, which allowed Rush to manage games. We never gave up more than 17 points during his 5 wins. We won a game against the Rams with Rush only passing for 102 yards. Our pass rush was on pace to break the 84 Bears sack record. No QB can shoulder most of the load in the playoffs and be successful. If your defense is playing poorly and you can’t run the ball your QB will struggle regardless who it is. Look at the playoff struggles Lamar Jackson, and Josh Allen have had. Look at the playoff struggles Aaron Rodgers has had having to carry his team. Mahomes had a terrible Super Bowl against Tampa having the shoulder the load with no help.
I've wanted Dak gone years before his current contract was even a discussion, and you want to keep him....... and I'm the one who's not astute?

Slick

Reaction score
Our QB is outstanding during the regular season. We’re not having playoff success because the team isn’t good enough and no one will step up.
He chokes every big game..... Against winning teams, and in the playoffs. Stick a fork in him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I've wanted Dak gone years before his current contract was even a discussion, and you want to keep him....... and I'm the one who's not astute?
He was playing some of his best football prior to his first contract and you wanted him gone? :rolleyes: It was his outstanding play that earned him that big contract. Apparently you’re not interested in winning. You’re one of those fans that would prefer to look forward to a top 10 pick every April.

Slick

Reaction score
He was playing some of his best football prior to his first contract and you wanted him gone? :rolleyes: It was his outstanding play that earned him that big contract. Apparently you’re not interested in winning. You’re one of those fans that would prefer to look forward to a top 10 pick every April.
No, I'm an astute fan, who recognized very early on, he was a deer in the headlights choker. SB wins count, not regular season wins against scrub teams. They need to move on.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He chokes every big game..... Against winning teams, and in the playoffs. Stick a fork in him.
He didn’t choke against Green Bay in 2016 in the playoffs. Our defense did. He didn’t choke in our loss to the Rams in the playoffs. Our defense did. He didn’t choke against Seattle in the playoffs, but our defense almost did. He didn’t choke against Tampa in the playoffs last season. Sorry, but football isn’t it for you.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The score reflected that.
He actually attempted 60 passes and completed 41. The score reflected it because our defense played like CRAP and couldn’t stop them the entire game. We had no running game, and the only way we could move the football was to air it out. We were down 7-0 before our offense ever took the field. That was the worst performance by our defense in the playoffs in franchise history. At least Dak and Ferguson didn’t give up.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No, I'm an astute fan, who recognized very early on, he was a deer in the headlights choker. SB wins count, not regular season wins against scrub teams. They need to move on.
His rookie year he went toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers in a playoff game. He passed for over 300 yards and 3 TDs bringing us back from a two score deficit but our defense choked in the final seconds. Super Bowl wins count and there’s been only ONE QB since Dak was drafted in 2016 that’s won a Super Bowl and that’s Mahomes. You’re not an astute football fan if you think Super Bowl winning QBs grow on trees. The Cowboys are never going to win crap if they don’t build a complete team that steps up in the playoffs.