What does Crawford offer?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Crawford still being on the team speaks to our lack of ability on the d line for many years. Even the amount of resources we have dumped into it no one has stepped up to be even above average except for D law. Maliek Collins would probably be that guy now if Marinelli didn't move him to 1T to make room for Ty Craw at 3T. Ty Craw has been playing out of position for years. He's a rotational guy that averages 4 sacks a year and that is usually strictly at the defensive end spot. Inside he is undersized and weak at the point of attack. Him being on the team speaks more to coaching and the front office than the player. Like Jerry extending the guy after we switch to a 4-3 defense when we drafted him to be a 3-4 end 5T. He plays because we like him not because of his ability. He is an average rotational guy and people will see when he finally leaves this team he will barely see the field on another team. He is another Barry Church/Orlando Scandrick

Collins wasn't moved to 1-tech to make room for Crawford at 3-tech. Statements like that are ignorant, distorting the facts. Collins moved to 1-tech because our 1-tech (Stephen Paea) got hurt and retired and our backup option (Brian Price) also got hurt. Collins was the only player we had left who had the size to play 1-tech, plus he wasn't playing well at 3-tech (probably due to his injury) and we had David Irving coming off suspension to play that position and do better at it at that time.

If you are talking about his rookie season, he was a backup behind DTs Crawford and McClain at the start of the season, but played well enough that we moved Crawford to left end during the second game of the season. Collins did start at 1-tech with McClain at 3-tech, though, although I think they periodically switched them until Collins took over as the starting 3-tech.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Collins wasn't moved to 1-tech to make room for Crawford at 3-tech. Statements like that are ignorant, distorting the facts. Collins moved to 1-tech because our 1-tech (Stephen Paea) got hurt and retired and our backup option (Brian Price) also got hurt. Collins was the only player we had left who had the size to play 1-tech, plus he wasn't playing well at 3-tech (probably due to his injury) and we had David Irving coming off suspension to play that position and do better at it at that time.

If you are talking about his rookie season, he was a backup behind DTs Crawford and McClain at the start of the season, but played well enough that we moved Crawford to left end during the second game of the season. Collins did start at 1-tech with McClain at 3-tech, though, although I think they periodically switched them until Collins took over as the starting 3-tech.
His second year. Yeh they moved him because no one could or would play the 1T. I mean I blame the staff more than anything for moving a kid that had 5 sacks his first year then move him. But it was because ty craw mcclain and irving were at 3t.

fansince68

Reaction score
My only complaint about Crawford is that he's simply overpaid but does everything that's asked of him and more...................He's just not worth a $10.1 million dollar cap hit which is the number he's costing..............................
Next season he may be cut to pay M Collins if Collins can prove his worth.

gimmesix

Reaction score
His second year. Yeh they moved him because no one could or would play the 1T. I mean I blame the staff more than anything for moving a kid that had 5 sacks his first year then move him. But it was because ty craw mcclain and irving were at 3t.

When McClain was brought in at 1-tech, he showed that he was as good as anything else we had at 3-tech at that time (which included Crawford, although he was playing a lot at end because of problems there). We drafted Collins to play 3-tech, but he was a rookie who needed to prove himself so he was behind McClain and Crawford at first. Cedric Thornton was brought in to be our starting 1-tech but was a complete waste of space, so it quickly came down to Collins and McClain as the primary DTs, with Jack Crawford and David Irving mixed in some. Tyrone Crawford has had little to do with Collins not playing 3-tech more, and ideally, I don't think the staff ever wanted to move Collins. Both of those years, the team used him where they needed him, much like they have with Crawford.

Didn't Collins also miss some of his first training camp because of one of his foot injuries or am I thinking about his second year?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Next season he may be cut to pay M Collins if Collins can prove his worth.

Yeah, I want to see Collins actually stay healthy and live up to that preseason hype first. Then, if it comes down to Collins or Crawford, I'd go with Collins.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
What does this guy offer? He getting lot of cheddar for being a JAG?
Sets the edge better than any DE in the NFL. Playing against the run is important. When he got his contract I thought he was over paid but he is at good value these days

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sets the edge better than any DE in the NFL. Playing against the run is important. When he got his contract I thought he was over paid but he is at good value these days

giphy.gif

cern

Reaction score
just opinions here, but I think he's vastly over paid for his abilities. just a progress stopper now.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
What would you pay for a DL that can play all 4 positions....among the best against the run and great at pressuring the QB?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think some folks just like to hate on Crawford just to hate.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What does this guy offer? He getting lot of cheddar for being a JAG?
first question: will he help the team? is he better than those we released or available?

in regards to the money, is he stopping us from signing cooper? dak? Jones? if not, I am not worried about him being overpaid at this point. that's a mistake we have to live with for now. but if he is stopping our ability to sign other players, then we can make a case to cut him, otherwise....who cares

Whyjerry

Reaction score
What would you pay for a DL that can play all 4 positions....among the best against the run and great at pressuring the QB?

You seeing the same Crawford I see? Great at pressuring the QB? When was that? Best against the run? Where? 98 is a very average player. Best as a straight line 3 tech. Absolutely can not play 1 Tech. As a DE he is below average.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You seeing the same Crawford I see? Great at pressuring the QB? When was that? Best against the run? Where? 98 is a very average player. Best as a straight line 3 tech. Absolutely can not play 1 Tech. As a DE he is below average.
Crawford being among the top DT's at pressuring the QB was one of the reasons he got the big contract in the first place. Cowboys fans either forget the facts or do not care about the facts. No one sets the edge better than Crawford since he has been on our team.