What does Jason Garrett actually do?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't think any of us really know what it's like to HC under the Joneses. We had that FA DB for almost a season and when he left he said some team meetings were held up because the Joneses were running late, he was amazed at that.

Probably the worst thing to happen to any future HC was Parcells. He was so over the top on control and took over as the face of the team that Booger will never allow that to happen again. It was worth it to get the new digs but I don't think he thought it would be that bad and to make it worse, here was another HC the local media loved.

If Garrett does not get extended, our best hope as fans is Payton because he already has a relationship with Booger and doesn't have to establish trust. The worst would be Riley or any college guy wanting to break into the NFL, Booger would manhandle him.

While it was embarrassing for both of the men, I think Campo and Phillips were happy as hell to get out of that mess. I don't know if you ever caught the Ticket with their fake Booger and Wade but it was fall down funny and completely emasculating to Wade Phillips. He had to cringe if he ever heard it.

But if you were Payton would you come here? The guy has everything he wants in new Orleans, including a HOF QB. Why come here and fight with stephen on who he can hire, fire as coaches, with jerry on everything, etc. How many great coaches would put up with the joneses crap?

kskboys

Reaction score
He applied to clean Jerry's glasses, but Jerry's son in law done swiped up that most meaningful job!!!!!

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He has lost games many times with this coaching. The Lions game with Calvin Johnson is an example.

Garrett is good at motivational speaking.

But when it comes to the feel of the game and situations where he has to decide the best outcome for the team, he feels far short of that.

With Garrett same wrinkle, same game plan every time.

With other coaches like Bellicheck, different wrinkle and different game plan all the time.

This is where Garrett will never be a good coach.
How did he particularly lose that Lions game. I saw three Defenders trying to stop Keyshawn. How was that his fault and I'm not making excuses for him I'm just curious what he has done particularly to lose a game

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He has lost games many times with this coaching. The Lions game with Calvin Johnson is an example.

Garrett is good at motivational speaking.

But when it comes to the feel of the game and situations where he has to decide the best outcome for the team, he feels far short of that.

With Garrett same wrinkle, same game plan every time.

With other coaches like Bellicheck, different wrinkle and different game plan all the time.

This is where Garrett will never be a good coach.
I get that. But I'm not sure he's putting the game plan together you realize this is Dallas right and not a regular franchise

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not his offense.
It's not his defense.
He doesn't call plays.

What does he actually do that any figurehead like Switzer or Campo couldn't do?
Coach Garrett is the face of our Cowboys!! He devises schemes to attack our opponents weaknesses. He schedules our practices to be efficient and to get the best out of his players. His clapping on the sidelines is meant to motivate and inspire. He takes the heat for Jerry and Stephen. He is a smart man and if anything, I think Jerry holds him back. That's why I give him so much crap. He could be great if allowed to do things his way.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Coach Garrett is the face of our Cowboys!! He devises schemes to attack our opponents weaknesses. He schedules our practices to be efficient and to get the best out of his players. His clapping on the sidelines is meant to motivate and inspire. He takes the heat for Jerry and Stephen. He is a smart man and if anything, I think Jerry holds him back. That's why I give him so much crap. He could be great if allowed to do things his way.
What head coach with any self-respect would take over Team without total control. No one other than a maybe a new Young startup. Jason already learned how to manipulate Jerry. He built this team the way he wanted to. the pits . Until he loses the locker room until I they no longer believe in his system. I have to support him. The youngest starting team in the league he took to the second round of the playoffs last season. So go Cowboys

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What head coach with any self-respect would take over Team without total control. No one other than a maybe a new Young startup. Jason already learned how to manipulate Jerry. He built this team the way he wanted to. the pits . Until he loses the locker room until I no longer believe in his system. I have to support him. The youngest starting team in the league he took to the second round of the playoffs last season. So go Cowboys
I give him a lot of crap, but I want him to win. I would love for him to win a few SBs. I'm not sure he is capable, but I hope I'm wrong.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
But if you were Payton would you come here? The guy has everything he wants in new Orleans, including a HOF QB. Why come here and fight with stephen on who he can hire, fire as coaches, with jerry on everything, etc. How many great coaches would put up with the joneses crap?

True, but imagine if he came here and actually did win a SB. He would be immortalized. Thing is, Jerry wouldn't be able to take any credit once it was proven he couldn't win with a puppet HC (which has already been proven). I don't know that I see Jerry hiring a coach who will command more limelight than he does ever again.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
hmmmmm bro, i dont think the jones made garrett do these things:
1. manage the clock badly
2. ice his own kicker
3. have a predictable offensive with minimal motion where the players are pissed because the other side knows what is going to happen before the play starts
4. not make half time adjustments
5. completely rely on a system that requires superior players in every position instead of outscheming others.
First of all he didn't ice his own kicker. If you didn't call a timeout that would have been a penalty and possibly taking us out of field goal range. The youngest starting team in the league how deep of a system can you put in place. Took the youngest starting team in the league to the second round of the playoffs last season make no mistake about it this is not the same old Cowboys

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
True, but imagine if he came here and actually did win a SB. He would be immortalized. Thing is, Jerry wouldn't be able to take any credit once it was proven he couldn't win with a puppet HC (which has already been proven). I don't know that I see Jerry hiring a coach who will command more limelight than he does ever again.
coach Peyton was horrible last season especially during the playoffs. I don't want a head coach the league already scrutinized. He embarrassed himself last season

Blackspider214

Reaction score
It is his offense. Moore isn’t going to change the playbook and philosophy, instead he’ll tweak specific things and control the tendencies. Moore is running the same playbook Linehan did and Garrett did under Phillips. Concepts might alter, but it’s still Garrett’s premise.

Yep. More generic come backs and go routes and having Dak waiting all day in the pocket waiting for these routes to develop.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I give him a lot of crap, but I want him to win. I would love for him to win a few SBs. I'm not sure he is capable, but I hope I'm wrong.
What I don't like about Jason. He doesn't demand the respect on the sidelines we don't get the benefit of the doubt from the referees. He's too mild-mannered. But again the team believe in his system so I will support him

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yep. More generic come backs and go routes and having Dak waiting all day in the pocket waiting for these routes to develop.
Can we get through preseason before you slam the new play-caller. He might just be brilliant

Blackspider214

Reaction score
First of all he didn't ice his own kicker. If you didn't call a timeout that would have been a penalty and possibly taking us out of field goal range. The youngest starting team in the league how deep of a system can you put in place. Took the youngest starting team in the league to the second round of the playoffs last season make no mistake about it this is not the same old Cowboys

Actually it is the same old Cowboys. Flame out in the divisional round. How many times has it happened since Garrett has been here? 2007, 2009, 2014, 2016, 2018. Is it a coincidence this mickey mouse offense and coach can't beat teams once we get past the wild card round? Nope. Go to every year we lost in the divisional round and your exact same statement was made. "This team is different and we have a bright future". Until it's now been 12 years and we have done nothing but spin our wheels over and over.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Actually it is the same old Cowboys. Flame out in the divisional round. How many times has it happened since Garrett has been here? 2007, 2009, 2014, 2016, 2018. Is it a coincidence this mickey mouse offense and coach can't beat teams once we get past the wild card round? Nope. Go to every year we lost in the divisional round and your exact same statement was made. "This team is different and we have a bright future". Until it's now been 12 years and we have done nothing but spin our wheels over and over.
I no longer have expectations of failure, when something goes a little bit backwards. Make no mistake about it this is not the same old Cowboys. Youngest starting team in the league to the second round of the playoffs. The experience alone was priceless

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Can we get through preseason before you slam the new play-caller. He might just be brilliant

You do realize Kellen is just the play caller, right? He is not designing a new offense. This has been Garrett's offense since 2007. And it hasn't changed any. The only difference we will get is maybe pace of play.

I am not slamming Moore. You can't give a chef dog crap and expect a 5 star restaurant meal. I am 100% slamming Garrett's offense.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Different quarterback my cowboy brother make no mistake about that. Again I no longer have expectations of failure when the game is on the line in the playoffs. Or to beat the Eagles to get to the playoffs

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You do realize Kellen is just the play caller, right? He is not designing a new offense. This has been Garrett's offense since 2007. And it hasn't changed any. The only difference we will get is maybe pace of play.

I am not slamming Moore. You can't give a chef dog crap and expect a 5 star restaurant meal. I am 100% slamming Garrett's offense.
This is not Jason Garrett's offense I don't know where you get that from

waldoputty

Reaction score

oh, u mean when we went into that game being totally unprepared and completely outcoached?

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
oh, u mean when we went into that game being totally unprepared and completely outcoached?
That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. But don't say he iced kicker because that isn't true