What happened to Cole Beasley

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I really like Beasley and I think the Cowboys are better with him on the team, but I prefer the Beasley from previous years who seemed to be focused on making plays and wanting to win no matter who makes the play. I want the guy who defied the odds at his size to not only play in the NFL, but make game winning plays. I want the guy who was easy to root for and was a great role model for younger football players who may not check all of the boxes on the physical requirements of being an NFL wide receiver.

My concern has less to do with his ability and more to do with his attitude which is something I pointed out throughout the season.

He was in a contract season and was likely expecting (unrealistically) to be the top guy given the receivers we had when we started the season. When that did not work out, he seemed to mope and pout on the field. When teammates would score, he would not run over to congratulate them or even celebrate the score on his own. He would simply turn and walk back to the sidelines while everyone else was celebrating.

He likely knows that at his size, the moment he loses his quickness, whether to injury or age, his career is over at least new contract wise, so he was likely hoping to cash in on one big contract just in case that happens in the next 3-4 years. Because of how the season played out, his perceived value likely declined especially after the end zone drop on a simple pass earlier this season that everyone, including other teams, saw happen.

In any case, as a free agent, odds are good some other team is going to think to themselves, "He's a great slot receiver and in OUR system, he can make more plays for us than he did in Dallas" so they will sign him to a really nice 3-4 year contract. Dallas on the other hand primarily views him as a slot receiver and will value him as such.

My favorite memory of Beasley was on a play where he did not make a catch but rather celebrated the team's comeback win. In the first game of the 2015 season, the Giants took the lead late and with around 90 seconds remaining in the game, the Cowboys drove down the field. With 10 or so seconds remaining, Romo connected with Witten for the game winning touchdown. What caught my eye more so than teammates running to Witten to celebrate was Cole Beasley's reaction in the end zone. He held up his hands to signal touchdown and punched the air. That's the guy I want on the Cowboys.
Agree he changed from the perfect complimentary piece to an eggo the size of a number 1 option. Good guy but time to move on with someone younger like Switzer:).

bark

Reaction score
Cole is great for what he is. A chain moving possession receiver without break away speed.
How much do you pay for that is the question.
Hope he stays because he can help us but if not I wish him well.

DFWJC

Reaction score
giphy.gif
I do think the guy is hard to cover. Great route runner and still has separation skills.
But I'm fine parting ways at this stage. It's a bit much

CCBoy

Reaction score
Disappointment in attitude does not eliminate his ability to make relevant plays. He has a heart, and sometimes that requires growth as a person to get back in constructive perspective. I doubt that the small packaged gladiator has lost drive that brought him back to Training Camp his very first time in the NFL.

He has yet another stumbling block to climb over. I also hope that he waters his love of team as much his bank account.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Facts are for a while this season he was probably the best receiver on the team and that got to his head. But now he's the 2nd or 3rd best (I actually think Gallup looked the part of a legit #2 the second half of the season and could just do more than Beasley) and a couple of TEs even looked decent. I'd as soon as want to see him stay because if not we'd have to replace what he brings to the table, but the poor attitude has to stop. He is somewhat difficult to replace, Hunter Renfrow comes to mind but idk if he'd be equal to Beasley time would tell.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Agree with all of it, I can't get him off the team fast enough. I've got no problem with his game play and he's certainly contributed to this team. All that said I've never seen such negative body language from a professional. He played disinterested and looked like Eeyore out there. I think at this point he's setting a very negative example to a young football team and I'd take his keys to the front gate today. All you need to do is look at Allen Hurns to see how a professional who didn't have the season he wanted handles himself.
Ha, and by gauging the aggregated rectal temps of the Forum posts thru out this season? the OVERWHELMING majority wanted to see the #17 cut& long gone,Too! o_O

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Despite his bravado on social media, I think Beas is a guy who needs Dallas as much as we need him. Remember, he's never left the metroplex (Little Elm -> SMU -> DC), is he going to want to leave now at this stage of his life with a family and rap career in Dallas? I don't think he's built like that which is why I think he's walking back some of his statements.
Insightfully astute observation:thumbup:,,,& to be honest, a pretty cool detailed viewed look at it Zordon IMO,,, (Man,I didn't know he was a native Texican as I'd just always assumed our #11 was from further up north ,from some lingering winter state like the Dakota's/Montana)

Melonfeud

Reaction score
We have Cole Beasley, and Pittsburgh has to deal with Antonio Brown.
But at least they will get a draft pick for Brown, we will get rid of a want-a-be rapper. Maybe a comp pick.

Which is better? :laugh:
So, I take it " you grooving to that #80's smash tune " EYE'S OF A KILLA' " ,,,eh?o_O

wecasa

Reaction score
Beasley is not going to be paid like a #2 receiver. If the cowboys pay him as such they are making a mistake. In comparison, Danny Amendola signed with the dolphins last season for 2 years 12 million. Sure hes a bit older and has some injury concerns, but his career statistics are nearly identical to Cole's. So i'd put Cole's value in that ball park. If another team wants to overspend for him, let him go. His contract paid him 3.25 mil this season. That's about market value comparing to other receivers of similar skill set. If they want to give him a raise fine, but don't go over a contract that pays him more than 4 mil a season.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
On the field, he was the same guy this year that he always has been. The numbers were down a bit from his career year in 2016...but the entire offense was down from that year, by a lot more than Beasley was.

Off the field, I don't really care, as long as he doesn't negatively affect players around him. And I don't see any reason to think he does.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prediction.............Cole ends up in New Orleans as a slot wr and Drew Brees throws him 75 balls. It a perfect fit.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
I think Romo’s absence hurt him. Once teams figured out that he was Dak’s go to in 2016, the offense couldn’t get him involved any more

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Overview
He got the feeling that due to his contract being up and the fact that Dallas was so thin at WR and TE at the start of the season Linehan and company would develop a gameplan with him in mind.

Result
The gameplan didn’t include anyone (maybe the RB) and players were actually excluded if criticism surfaced (Cooper). Players like Beasley and Dez are more vocal when their voices aren’t heard in the organization meaning the HC is not focused on the OC or is ok with how the OC schemes and majority find fault in the way things are going.

Having too many yes men in a organization leads to coaches getting lazy (see Linehan 2017-2019). Worse case scenario is Penn State.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Never heard it. And don't plan to.
:lmao: COPY!

*I'd inadvertently 'clicked-on' a posted link to the #11's latest musical croonage& suffered immediate regrets upon my impulsive actions:lmao2:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When a player starts to think he's a rapper it's time to part ways with him.

He's addition by subtraction at this point. The only thing you'd worry about is a really stinging diss track in response. He could end up No Vaseline-ing us.

But if they as smart as me, Jerry Jones be hanging from a tree.....