What happened to Cole Beasley

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Yeah. After todays comments i think im done with Cole. Time to move it along.

jsb357

Reaction score
If he's lucky enough to land in the right football situation, the forum will be screaming

"why did Jerry let him go?"

On another note...

My tinfoil hat wearing alter ego would say the FO orders the reduction of targets to a receiver
about to enter free agency to keep the salary and the signing bonus lower.

GenoT

Reaction score
Meanwhile, Belichick and Brady are thinking:

“Please, Jerry...cut this guy!”

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I really like Beasley and I think the Cowboys are better with him on the team, but I prefer the Beasley from previous years who seemed to be focused on making plays and wanting to win no matter who makes the play. I want the guy who defied the odds at his size to not only play in the NFL, but make game winning plays. I want the guy who was easy to root for and was a great role model for younger football players who may not check all of the boxes on the physical requirements of being an NFL wide receiver.

My concern has less to do with his ability and more to do with his attitude which is something I pointed out throughout the season.

He was in a contract season and was likely expecting (unrealistically) to be the top guy given the receivers we had when we started the season. When that did not work out, he seemed to mope and pout on the field. When teammates would score, he would not run over to congratulate them or even celebrate the score on his own. He would simply turn and walk back to the sidelines while everyone else was celebrating.

He likely knows that at his size, the moment he loses his quickness, whether to injury or age, his career is over at least new contract wise, so he was likely hoping to cash in on one big contract just in case that happens in the next 3-4 years. Because of how the season played out, his perceived value likely declined especially after the end zone drop on a simple pass earlier this season that everyone, including other teams, saw happen.

In any case, as a free agent, odds are good some other team is going to think to themselves, "He's a great slot receiver and in OUR system, he can make more plays for us than he did in Dallas" so they will sign him to a really nice 3-4 year contract. Dallas on the other hand primarily views him as a slot receiver and will value him as such.

My favorite memory of Beasley was on a play where he did not make a catch but rather celebrated the team's comeback win. In the first game of the 2015 season, the Giants took the lead late and with around 90 seconds remaining in the game, the Cowboys drove down the field. With 10 or so seconds remaining, Romo connected with Witten for the game winning touchdown. What caught my eye more so than teammates running to Witten to celebrate was Cole Beasley's reaction in the end zone. He held up his hands to signal touchdown and punched the air. That's the guy I want on the Cowboys.
Beasley never saw the Cooper trade coming.

When it happened...

he lost his leverage in negotiations becuz Cooper would get his money.

Do not look now..

but we are looking for another starting WR for replacing Beasley.

Plus a TE now.

That's a lot to have to find by 1st game next season.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Cole Beasely is a great slot receiver but the cowboys run an old school te led offense that is a slot wr killer. The tes get more passing snaps and the slot wrs get crumbs. These tes couldn't do squat and I'm sure as a slot wr he's gonna find a team that features a spread offense that has a chance of competing at the Playoff Level

He's got to be frustrated being a clutch target and even after so many years he's still being spot played sparingly. He'll make 8+ million a year min and the Cowboys offered him 3ish because they don't value the slot wr position. The cowboys don't change their offense to fit the player. They pretty much run the same formations with heavier te formations which is crazy considering they've had a subpar te core for 5+ years

I'm sure him and Tavon are gone. How could these tes get as many passing snaps than Tavon or Beasely? The cowboys sold us on a high flying passing offense but as always they featured a scrub te core. He's gonna be missed on 3rd down

Last edited:

Lutonio

Reaction score
Free agency can have him. He had his chance to take over as a primary receiver and the offense was abysmal.

With the way Jarwin came online at the end of the season or with a good TE in free agency or the draft, Beasley is maybe the fourth best receiving option on a team that doesn't really want to pass anyway. Maybe even the fifth.

At least other other wide diva wide receivers are usually number 1s.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I really like Beasley and I think the Cowboys are better with him on the team, but I prefer the Beasley from previous years who seemed to be focused on making plays and wanting to win no matter who makes the play. I want the guy who defied the odds at his size to not only play in the NFL, but make game winning plays. I want the guy who was easy to root for and was a great role model for younger football players who may not check all of the boxes on the physical requirements of being an NFL wide receiver.

My concern has less to do with his ability and more to do with his attitude which is something I pointed out throughout the season.

He was in a contract season and was likely expecting (unrealistically) to be the top guy given the receivers we had when we started the season. When that did not work out, he seemed to mope and pout on the field. When teammates would score, he would not run over to congratulate them or even celebrate the score on his own. He would simply turn and walk back to the sidelines while everyone else was celebrating.

He likely knows that at his size, the moment he loses his quickness, whether to injury or age, his career is over at least new contract wise, so he was likely hoping to cash in on one big contract just in case that happens in the next 3-4 years. Because of how the season played out, his perceived value likely declined especially after the end zone drop on a simple pass earlier this season that everyone, including other teams, saw happen.

In any case, as a free agent, odds are good some other team is going to think to themselves, "He's a great slot receiver and in OUR system, he can make more plays for us than he did in Dallas" so they will sign him to a really nice 3-4 year contract. Dallas on the other hand primarily views him as a slot receiver and will value him as such.

My favorite memory of Beasley was on a play where he did not make a catch but rather celebrated the team's comeback win. In the first game of the 2015 season, the Giants took the lead late and with around 90 seconds remaining in the game, the Cowboys drove down the field. With 10 or so seconds remaining, Romo connected with Witten for the game winning touchdown. What caught my eye more so than teammates running to Witten to celebrate was Cole Beasley's reaction in the end zone. He held up his hands to signal touchdown and punched the air. That's the guy I want on the Cowboys.
I think it's entirely possible that, considering the rants we've witnessed from his wife, she gotten into his head and caused much of this. Whether she's convinced him he's more valuable and better than he is, or if he simply feels that she isn't satisfied with his role on the team, and he wants to look better in her eyes, she could definitely be the reason his whole attitude seems to have changed.............or maybe he's just a delusional pinhead.

Last edited:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's entirely possible that, considering the rants we've witnessed from his wife, she got into his head and caused much of this. Whether she's convinced him he's more valuable and better than he is, or if he simply feels that she isn't satisfied with his role on the team, and he wants to look better in her eyes, she could definitely be the reason his whole attitude seems to have changed.............or maybe he's just a delusional pinhead.
I have seriously wondered if that is the case as well.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
He wants out of Dallas. We have been running an offense focused mainly on running the ball and controlling the clock. We aren't pass heavy and there aren't a whole lot of passes to go around. I also think he took offense to the way the media was treating the WR corp early on this season (to be fair, it really wasn't entirely their fault, some of that was/is on Dak). He'll go somewhere and probably be a productive WR. Nothing spectacular but you do need guys like that on your team.

Sure some of it was on Dak but just as much or more of it was on the talent of the WR corp before Cooper arrived. Since Cooper came it's been drastically different.
If adding one player changes things that much what does it say? We had a major lack of talent and a rookie WR in Gallup. If Beasley was a bigger/better player we wouldn't have needed to trade for Cooper.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
He was in a contract season and was likely expecting (unrealistically) to be the top guy given the receivers we had when we started the season. When that did not work out, he seemed to mope and pout on the field.
To quote ee cummings,
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud

and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows

higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)

Verdict

Reaction score
He’s a WR in the nfl...he wants the ball and will be a diva if he doesn’t get it. Put him in a long line of WR’s that fit the same bill.

Certainly arguable he doesn’t “deserve” the right to be a diva given his production...but that’s life. He’ll almost certainly be on another team next year so won’t be a problem

I think he caught what Dez had right after Dez signed his big fact contract. Nothing-Itis!

Verdict

Reaction score
We have Cole Beasley, and Pittsburgh has to deal with Antonio Brown.
But at least they will get a draft pick for Brown, we will get rid of a want-a-be rapper. Maybe a comp pick.

Which is better? :laugh:

The Sqealers are going to have a pretty big cap hit hickey when they move on from Brown if they do it this year. It's such a big hit, IIRC, that it's almost prohibitive to do it this year.

Cebrin

Reaction score
I love Bease, but was never a fan of resigning him. I think he hurts the team. Having a good route running slot is great, but he is rarely a threat beyond a 5-10 yard out due to his size. I'd rather someone above 6'0" with some reach to play that spot.

Verdict

Reaction score
Facts are for a while this season he was probably the best receiver on the team and that got to his head. But now he's the 2nd or 3rd best (I actually think Gallup looked the part of a legit #2 the second half of the season and could just do more than Beasley) and a couple of TEs even looked decent. I'd as soon as want to see him stay because if not we'd have to replace what he brings to the table, but the poor attitude has to stop. He is somewhat difficult to replace, Hunter Renfrow comes to mind but idk if he'd be equal to Beasley time would tell.

I am a Beasley fan, but how often does a bad attitude get better? I guess if everything goes right for him it could change, but I don't expect that to happen.

I really like Cooper too. He's in the honeymoon phase right now though. There are tiny glimpses that underneath the success he becomes very frustrated when things don't go his way.

So far Amari has kept a lid on his frustration, but I am somewhat concerned that once he gets his extension the worms could start coming out of the can so to speak. Hopefully he stays happy and it's not an issue, but the signs are there.