What happened to TE being a priority?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I guess having a 72 year old Witten un-retiring filled that need? They didn't even bring in an UDFA TE. Oh yeah and the baseball player...guess we are good there...
We will be fine for now.

Witten improves the running blocking which is first priority of the position.

Besides .according to the experts here..

DAK can not hit the broadside of a barn with his arm.

Why do we need another receiver he can't hit.?

:eek:

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I guess you guys are right, we are loaded with pro bowl tight ends and should not even consider bringing in anyone that could upgrade the position. I riled up the cheerleaders. my bad. .

Well, cut Rico, then they can sign your street free agent pro bowl tight end.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Isn’t this the same board that throws a temper tantrum EVERY damned time the team drafts a TE? Now everybody wants one when one isn’t taken. Isn’t this the same board that always whines when the team doesn’t devote draft picks to the DT position? We use our first pick on one this year and the *****ing and moaning is incessant. There seems to be far too many on here suffering from bipolar issues. It’s pretty damned hilarious.

Yes we drafted a couple of TE's in the 2nd round round over the years while Witten was a Pro Bowler in his prime which made no sense. Then towards the end of his career we basically ignored the position, both of the high round TE's were long gone and we were then left with our pants down when he retired.
Witten now unretires for a year or two but instead of learning our lesson I guess we'll going to ignore the position again until it becomes a major problem.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yes we drafted a couple of TE's in the 2nd round round over the years while Witten was a Pro Bowler in his prime which made no sense. Then towards the end of his career we basically ignored the position, both of the high round TE's were long gone and we were then left with our pants down when he retired.
Witten now unretires for a year or two but instead of learning our lesson I guess we'll going to ignore the position again until it becomes a major problem.
Lol this is so true and so dumb of the front office. So when you have a pro bowl te in his prime you spend 2nd round picks on the position but toward the end of his career you invest nothing lol. Speaks to the front office and coaching staff that doesnt have stones to tell him they need to develop another guy

coult44

Reaction score
I guess having a 72 year old Witten un-retiring filled that need? They didn't even bring in an UDFA TE. Oh yeah and the baseball player...guess we are good there...

Because FA is over and the roster is set...

Eanwen

Reaction score
I'm not reading this whole thread but before DTwhatshisname quit the team I was expecting some combo of TE/SS in the first two rounds (since I was told this draft was deep in both) but after that I figured dt was a higher priority. It made sense getting a quality C/G in the 3rd since we don't really know if Conor will be good or if Travis will be back close to 100% (also maybe we can get someone to take over for Collins down the line).

I don't really think what we have at TE is all that great. I hope we have a lot of looks w/o TE this year and maybe next year we can get a Kelce type (wouldn't be mad at s though).

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Well, you are the only one that knew it. Everybody else was thinking Thornhill.
More like wishing than thinking.

It was talked about most of Saturday how Hill was a distinct possibility.

I just didn't want to believe that.

Big_D

Reaction score

They invested a 4th last year. Sure the picks of Escobar and Marty B made no sense at the time, but the drafting has gotten a hell of a lot better since then. So the team has to be a little patient with guys like Jarwin and Schulz. See how things develop. That's a huge part of having long term success. This year I didn't see a team in position to draft a difference maker at TE. That option wasn't available.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Lol this is so true and so dumb of the front office. So when you have a pro bowl te in his prime you spend 2nd round picks on the position but toward the end of his career you invest nothing lol. Speaks to the front office and coaching staff that doesnt have stones to tell him they need to develop another guy

I realize you don’t have a clue, but that was when we were trying to run a 2 TE set. It didn’t work well due to coaching, poor combinations, or whatever. We drafted a TE last year in the fourth round and many on here *****ed about it then. It’s way past predictable. Now you guys ***** about drafting him because you don’t want to let him develop, yet you want to immediately draft another one. Comedy at it’s finest.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I realize you don’t have a clue, but that was when we were trying to run a 2 TE set. It didn’t work well due to coaching, poor combinations, or whatever. We drafted a TE last year in the fourth round and many on here *****ed about it then. It’s way past predictable. Now you guys ***** about drafting him because you don’t want to let him develop, yet you want to immediately draft another one. Comedy at it’s finest.
No one liked the pick because Witten was still here when the pick was made. And everyone knows Witten doesnt help develop other TEs or come off the field.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
No one liked the pick because Witten was still here when the pick was made. And everyone knows Witten doesnt help develop other TEs or come off the field.

Reading comprehension. We wanted to install a 2 TE set. What do you not get about this!

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score

FYI. Written was NOT here last year when we took a TE in the 4th. Yet there was still whining.

MikeT22

Reaction score
They invested a 4th last year. Sure the picks of Escobar and Marty B made no sense at the time, but the drafting has gotten a hell of a lot better since then. So the team has to be a little patient with guys like Jarwin and Schulz. See how things develop. That's a huge part of having long term success. This year I didn't see a team in position to draft a difference maker at TE. That option wasn't available.

The main problem was having Witten get to the end of his career without a real replacement ready to take over. I agree this year we weren't going to get a difference maker TE since we were definitely going DT or S in the 2nd and McGovern was a BPA selection in the 3rd. Anything else would've been just drafting a day 3 TE like we already have on the roster.

Now we'll just have to see what we have on the roster and if they aren't adequate then TE becomes a major priority next offseason.