What happens if (or when) Moore and Garrett don't see eye to eye

Dre11

Reaction score
Semantics. He said he didn't expect any significant coaching changes.

Then Daddy Jones talked to him and Jason was again reminded who was in charge and who would make the call on any coaching changes.

This is your assumption that Jerry talked to him. It may have been in the works but not decided on. Garrett may have known along. In which he could've fibbed to the media that there wasn't going to be any changes. It's all assumptions, there no report he was talked to by Jones...lol

Sydla

Reaction score
It most definitely make sense just because he makes the final decision or stand out in front of everyone does it mean to decision wasn't a collaborative one. And Snyder most definitely was involved in the day-to-day operation of the Washington Commanders football operation until it blew up in his face

In this case, yeah, it does. You are a big Garrett supporter so it's no surprise you try to prop him up as having more influence than he really has.

Garrett came out and said he didn't think there would be significant changes to the staff. Literally 5 hours later, he goes on record saying no decision has been made. That's quite a change of positions in less than half a day.

That's because Jerry probably got to Jason after the first radio interview and told him to walk that back because changes were likely coming. Jerry, himself, two days later goes on radio and basically says he's making the call on any coaching changes. Two days later (FOUR DAYS AFTER GARRETT SAYS THERE WILL LIKELY BE NO COACHING CHANGES), Linehan gets fired.

So yeah, I am not buying collaborative effort here. Garrett, in the span of four days, stated there would likely be no coaching changes to then working in a collaborative capacity to remove Linehan?

LOL. Here's what likely happened. Garrett wanted to continue with the staff intact. Jerry told him to shut up and he'll make the call. Four days later Jerry fires Linehan and Garrett has to come out as if he was on board the entire time. Jerry then hires Moore, who Jerry then says has free reign over the offense and if someone tries to get in his way, come to him directly.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao2:

You really have no clue do you? No wonder you get it all wrong.

Let me find it for you.

I have no clue what you choose to believe, or for god sakes, why, if that's what you're getting at. But Sydla already found the obvious reference you were trying to make, and understood my interpretation that it didn't actually say what it is you were suggesting it said.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Day 1: Garret says no major coaching changes
Day 2. Jones blasts garret publicly saying he alone has not made that decision
Day 3. Garret is asked by reporters why he said that, he claims he never said it or doesn’t remember.
Day 4 Linehan is fired
Ok that is funny, I vaguely remember that.
day 1 probably the truth as far as he knew, since he does not make these decisions, the jones boys do that. Maybe JG did not want a major change?
day 3, probably a lie , and what he was told to say and do. you know you say something you should not, and wind up with your foot in your mouth,
some people would just say I was wrong in saying that, but JG said something that makes him look not as stupid, and also it covers up
that he has no say in many coaching changes.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Here's how it went down.

Garrett said he didn't expect any changes to the staff. He then walked that statement back literally 5 hours later saying no decision had been made (likely because Jerry and/or Stephen had a talk with him). Two days later, on Jan 16th, Jerry went on the radio and said no decision had been made on Linehan and that he should know because he's the final say [on coaching changes].

Two days after that, Jerry fired Linehan. A week or so later, they hired Moore. Jerry also said at that time, that if Moore isn't given some free reign here, that he will go to Jerry directly and they'll fix that.

So in reality, it's pretty damn clear that Jason was neutered in this process. Sure, he had "input" but Jerry was going to do what Jerry wanted.

Yep......obvious to anyone not named digit.

The guy just simply can’t handle the truth.

His hero Garrett is a sub par puppet that keeps getting pushed to the side.

Dre11

Reaction score
In this case, yeah, it does. You are a big Garrett supporter so it's no surprise you try to prop him up as having more influence than he really has.

Garrett came out and said he didn't think there would be significant changes to the staff. Literally 5 hours later, he goes on record saying no decision has been made. That's quite a change of positions in less than half a day.

That's because Jerry probably got to Jason after the first radio interview and told him to walk that back because changes were likely coming. Jerry, himself, two days later goes on radio and basically says he's making the call on any coaching changes. Two days later (FOUR DAYS AFTER GARRETT SAYS THERE WILL LIKELY BE NO COACHING CHANGES), Linehan gets fired.

So yeah, I am not buying collaborative effort here. Garrett, in the span of four days, stated there would likely be no coaching changes to then working in a collaborative capacity to remove Linehan?

LOL. Here's what likely happened. Garrett wanted to continue with the staff intact. Jerry told him to shut up and he'll make the call. Four days later Jerry fires Linehan and Garrett has to come out as if he was on board the entire time. Jerry then hires Moore, who Jerry then says has free reign over the offense and if someone tries to get in his way, come to him directly.

Again that's your assumption and you being a Garrett hater is no surprise you want to make it look like he has no influence on decisions here, when there has been many in and around the organization who says he has heavy influence. I'll believe that before I believe a hating fan making assumptions tying to read tea leaves....lol

Sydla

Reaction score
That isn't semantics. It's a material difference.

I've already said that I believe the decision to let Linehan go had been made earlier, and that they were expecting to announce it after the Senior Bowl. That's a fairly common courtesy at this level, as they bring the coaches with them and let them look for new jobs while still technically employed. While at the same time the team can interview for their replacements. Garrett's 'we'll take a look at everything, but I don't expect any significant changes at this time' and Jerry's cringey 'I reserve my right to change my mind based on what's available at the Senior Bowl' are consistent with that speculation.

Whatever happened between Jan 15 and Jan 18 where the team decided to just come out and say Linehan was getting replaced, I don't know, but something obviously changed, because Jerry changed his tune. If I were guessing, Linehan probably didn't like Jerry wagging his tail about firing him the way he did in the quote provided, and just pulled the rip cord. And that caught Jason by surprise as (IIRC) he was talking to a morning show that day and still keeping the company line.

That's pure guesswork on my part, but whatever it was, I don't believe they didn't intend to change out the OC before the end of last season anyway. It's pretty obvious that they gave Linehan his shot and the offense dropped the ball and they ended up scrambling.

Nope. In fact, Garrett changed his tune THE SAME DAY. He said in a morning interview that he expected no changes then literally five hours later he pretended that he had never said that and that no decisions had been made.

The obvious answer is often the right one. Jason wanted to continue with the staff in place. He was caught by the question on radio and answered it thinking a playoff season would be good enough to continue as is. After the interview goes public, Jerry likely had a conversation with Garrett telling him he has little say in what they are going to do. Five hours later, Garrett gives another statement that contradicts his earlier one. Jerry goes on radio 2 days later and basically tells us what happened when he said he has final call on coaching changes.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"We don't anticipate any significant changes on our staff," Garrett said Monday on 105.3 The Fan, per ESPN's Todd Archer.

Yeah. Read that through in your head a couple of times and see if you can see how it sounds like, but difference importantly from 'there will be no major coaching changes.'

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I have no clue what you choose to believe, or for god sakes, why, if that's what you're getting at. But Sydla already found the obvious reference you were trying to make, and understood my interpretation that it didn't actually say what it is you were suggesting it said.

Honestly.....how does anyone expect to have a real conversation with you about Garrett?

He said it point blank and yet you still deny.

Thanks for playing.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is your assumption that Jerry talked to him. It may have been in the works but not decided on. Garrett may have known along. In which he could've fibbed to the media that there wasn't going to be any changes. It's all assumptions, there no report he was talked to by Jones...lol

He literally SAID TWO DIFFERENT THINGS IN THE SPAN OF FIVE HOURS. Why the sudden change? Why if he lied in the morning wouldn't he then lie again in the afternoon? You realize how that makes no sense, right? Something happened between that morning interview when he said he expected no changes and then in the afternoon said no decision had been made and acted like he never uttered what he did 5 hours earlier.

Only a true Garrett homer can't see what happened here. Garrett had the rug pulled out from under him that day and Jerry confirmed that two days later when he said no decision had been made and he should know because he's the guy making the decision.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
exactly, that is how I see it too.
I think JG had heavy influence over linehan, so he wanted to keep linehan.
JG just doesnt like not being involved in the offense,he wasnt very good at OC, but he loved it. He just doesnt want to let go.
That could be his undoing as HC.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ok that is funny, I vaguely remember that.
day 1 probably the truth as far as he knew, since he does not make these decisions, the jones boys do that. Maybe JG did not want a major change?
day 3, probably a lie , and what he was told to say and do. you know you say something you should not, and wind up with your foot in your mouth,
some people would just say I was wrong in saying that, but JG said something that makes him look not as stupid, and also it covers up
that he has no say in many coaching changes.

It’s just bizarre how out of the loop Garrett is. Jones obviously likes him because he is the perfect puppet.

Even as jones continued to neuter Garrett more and more every year. Lol

Sydla

Reaction score
Again that's your assumption and you being a Garrett hater is no surprise you want to make it look like he has no influence on decisions here, when there has been many in and around the organization who says he has heavy influence. I'll believe that before I believe a hating fan making assumptions tying to read tea leaves....lol

OK.

Then explain to me why Garrett would say in one interview no changes to the staff and then 5 hours later say in another interview basically the opposite. You want to run with the idea that he lied in the first interview just to keep the media off any changes for awhile, I guess. Then why say the exact opposite in the afternoon (and also throws in I can't remember what I said this morning comment).

You can't be this naive.

And let's note something here. In no way am I defending the structure the Cowboys have in place where Jerry basically makes all the calls that involve football decisions short of game planning or calling plays.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
exactly, that is how I see it too.
I think JG had heavy influence over linehan, so he wanted to keep linehan.
JG just doesnt like not being involved in the offense,he wasnt very good at OC, but he loved it. He just doesnt want to let go.
That could be his undoing as HC.

Promoting more would make him look foolish.

And how many times since the hire has jones referenced needing new ideas, better use of the talent on offense, ect..... ect.....

Clear smack down of Garrett and his inability to do just that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
OK.

Then explain to me why Garrett would say in one interview no changes to the staff and then 5 hours later say in another interview basically the opposite. You want to run with the idea that he lied in the first interview just to keep the media off any changes for awhile, I guess. Then why say the exact opposite in the afternoon (and also throws in I can't remember what I said this morning comment).

You can't be this naive.

You remember his answer, he claims it all never happened. Lol

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope. In fact, Garrett changed his tune THE SAME DAY. He said in a morning interview that he expected no changes then literally five hours later he pretended that he had never said that and that no decisions had been made.

The obvious answer is often the right one. Jason wanted to continue with the staff in place. He was caught by the question on radio and answered it thinking a playoff season would be good enough to continue as is. After the interview goes public, Jerry likely had a conversation with Garrett telling him he has little say in what they are going to do. Five hours later, Garrett gives another statement that contradicts his earlier one. Jerry goes on radio 2 days later and basically tells us what happened when he said he has final call on coaching changes.

Actually, you're describing it wrong again. Garrett did have that gaffe in the afternoon where he said he didn't remember what he'd said in the morning interview, but they hadn't had had discussions on the subject. That's really not different from what he'd said earlier, if you buy the idea that they originally intended to make the change after the Senior Bowl.

Like I said above, that changed during the week for some reason, and maybe it changed that day between Garrett's morning and afternoon interview. Who knows?

But to believe what you believe, you have to buy the idea that the organization didn't know what they were doing at OC, and that the owner and his son made the decision without consulting the HC and without telling the HC. You think that's obvious. I think it's pretty unlikely. Even if Garrett's just along for the ride and doesn't get a vote, he wouldn't be left completely in the dark and trotted out to talk to the media knowing he was going to field questions about it. That makes no sense, even in Dallas.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly.....how does anyone expect to have a real conversation with you about Garrett?

He said it point blank and yet you still deny.

Thanks for playing.

I have plenty of great conversations with plenty of posters about Jason Garrett. Just never with you.

It's not playing if you're not capable of even making a game out of it, Roy. I'll just keep up with Sydla from here on out if he wants to continue and you can read along, maybe throwing in passive side jabs addressed to him but directed at an intentional misunderstanding of what I've actually said from time to time. Because that's a good look for you.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In AM, he says he expects no changes to the staff.

In the PM, he says no decisions have been made and he doesn't know how he answered the question in the morning.

LOL. Come on guys.

What is it about those two things you're struggling with? In the context of what I've already said probably happened, both comments make perfect sense.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Promoting more would make him look foolish.

And how many times since the hire has jones referenced needing new ideas, better use of the talent on offense, ect..... ect.....

Clear smack down of Garrett and his inability to do just that.
The Jones boys finally see a clear need for a better offense and playbook, and it took them how many years to
finally see it?? lol I think seeing pederson come in and go to and win a SB had big eye opening effect on jones boys.
Then the McVay thing in LA, now they want something like that with their team, and they know JG cant be a part of that.

But they still wanna "win him a SB" !!!!!!!!!!!
I think if they win one with JG it would in their mind glorify them because they are really the HC, and JG is just who they coach thru.
If they had any kahunas they would get out of that booth and come down and be HC, but then the failures would be on them directly.
They cant handle that.