What happens if (or when) Moore and Garrett don't see eye to eye

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Moore works for Garrett. They know each other well and get along. Garrett just promoted Moore on his staff. The offensive coaches collaborate. It’s a shame it doesn’t fit the agenda, but it’s true.
So did Linehan.......that is until Jerry pulled the rug out from under him.....

Go back a few months:

Garrett to the media: "We won't be making any major changes to the coaching staff".

Jerry to Garrett: You or Linehan needs to go.
Garrett to Jerry: You're right Mr. Jones......Linehan needs to go.

Garrett eating crow to the media: I'VE decided to make a major coaching change.

Sounds like Garrett sure has a firm control alright.

Sydla

Reaction score
Actually, you're describing it wrong again. Garrett did have that gaffe in the afternoon where he said he didn't remember what he'd said in the morning interview, but they hadn't had had discussions on the subject. That's really not different from what he'd said earlier, if you buy the idea that they originally intended to make the change after the Senior Bowl.

Like I said above, that changed during the week for some reason, and maybe it changed that day between Garrett's morning and afternoon interview. Who knows?

But to believe what you believe, you have to buy the idea that the organization didn't know what they were doing at OC, and that the owner and his son made the decision without consulting the HC and without telling the HC. You think that's obvious. I think it's pretty unlikely. Even if Garrett's just along for the ride and doesn't get a vote, he wouldn't be left completely in the dark and trotted out to talk to the media knowing he was going to field questions about it. That makes no sense, even in Dallas.

So now it was a gaffe?

How in the world does Garrett not remember what he said in the morning that generated A TON of media action around his comments about no changes?

Your last paragraph misses the mark as well. I don't buy the idea that the organization didn't know what they were going to do at OC. I think Jerry had a decent idea they needed to make a change. I think they were caught a bit by surprise when Garrett went out there and said he expected no changes to the staff. I think it's quite possible that Jerry was thinking of making a coaching change without talking to Garrett. At some point, Garrett would have been brought into the discussion but he kind of blew up the process with his Jan 14th comments.

In fact, I think it's quite possible if Garrett had said nothing or just stated initially no decisions had been made, Linehan might not have been fired for another week or so, giving the Cowboys more time to figure out what to do at OC.

Sydla

Reaction score
Moore works for Garrett. They know each other well and get along. Garrett just promoted Moore on his staff. The offensive coaches collaborate. It’s a shame it doesn’t fit the agenda, but it’s true.

I missed this comment.

Garrett didn't promote Moore. Jerry did. And that's pretty damn clear to anyone who listened to what Jerry had to say.

The only person pushing an agenda here is you with a comment like that.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It’s just bizarre how out of the loop Garrett is. Jones obviously likes him because he is the perfect puppet.

Even as jones continued to neuter Garrett more and more every year. Lol
They like coaching thru him, I think they are the real HC's, but JG provides them a shield to hide behind when they fail.
JG is like a buffer! lol
They do everything a HC would do, hire and fire staff, tell all the coaches what to do and what they want , who will play and who wont,
get dez more targets! remember that? they draft, and handle FA, so JG and all the others are just their asst coaches.

They wont do it for real, because they couldnt handle the spotlight during failures or bad years.
So they have JG as the buffer coach, and he handles the PC's and most of the media, and jones boys speak when they want to.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Actually, you're describing it wrong again. Garrett did have that gaffe in the afternoon where he said he didn't remember what he'd said in the morning interview, but they hadn't had had discussions on the subject. That's really not different from what he'd said earlier, if you buy the idea that they originally intended to make the change after the Senior Bowl.

Like I said above, that changed during the week for some reason, and maybe it changed that day between Garrett's morning and afternoon interview. Who knows?

But to believe what you believe, you have to buy the idea that the organization didn't know what they were doing at OC, and that the owner and his son made the decision without consulting the HC and without telling the HC. You think that's obvious. I think it's pretty unlikely. Even if Garrett's just along for the ride and doesn't get a vote, he wouldn't be left completely in the dark and trotted out to talk to the media knowing he was going to field questions about it. That makes no sense, even in Dallas.
lol, So, are you saying that Garrett had "selective amnesia" from morning to afternoon?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I have plenty of great conversations with plenty of posters about Jason Garrett. Just never with you.

It's not playing if you're not capable of even making a game out of it, Roy. I'll just keep up with Sydla from here on out if he wants to continue and you can read along, maybe throwing in passive side jabs addressed to him but directed at an intentional misunderstanding of what I've actually said from time to time. Because that's a good look for you.

No, I have enjoyed Sydia mopping the site with your nonsense.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
As much as I grant that Jerry has final authority and likes to be involved (some call it meddling, the guy owns the club he can meddle wherever the hell he pleases), it makes more sense to me that the Linehan move and Moore hiring came from JG (with Jerry's blessing, of course). Garrett is in the final year of his contract. Jerry appears to be letting this play out a bit and taking a wait and see on what JG can do this season before making a call on another extension. Garrett knows he's coaching for his job and it would only make sense that he would want to do it his way to try and prove he deserves another contract. I could see Jerry giving Garrett enough rope to hang himself here. Either it works out for everyone involved or it crashes and burns and Garrett gets replaced - leaving many other things up in the air.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
lol, So, are you saying that Garrett had "selective amnesia" from morning to afternoon?

First he denied it ever happened. Now that he’s had the board correcting him he babbles and stutters.
So now it was a gaffe?

How in the world does Garrett not remember what he said in the morning that generated A TON of media action around his comments about no changes?

Your last paragraph misses the mark as well. I don't buy the idea that the organization didn't know what they were going to do at OC. I think Jerry had a decent idea they needed to make a change. I think they were caught a bit by surprise when Garrett went out there and said he expected no changes to the staff. I think it's quite possible that Jerry was thinking of making a coaching change without talking to Garrett. At some point, Garrett would have been brought into the discussion but he kind of blew up the process with his Jan 14th comments.

In fact, I think it's quite possible if Garrett had said nothing or just stated initially no decisions had been made, Linehan might not have been fired for another week or so, giving the Cowboys more time to figure out what to do at OC.

Yep.....all common sense reasoning for anyone not a Garrett homer.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I missed this comment.

Garrett didn't promote Moore. Jerry did. And that's pretty damn clear to anyone who listened to what Jerry had to say.

:clap::clap::clap:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
As much as I grant that Jerry has final authority and likes to be involved (some call it meddling, the guy owns the club he can meddle wherever the hell he pleases), it makes more sense to me that the Linehan move and Moore hiring came from JG (with Jerry's blessing, of course). Garrett is in the final year of his contract. Jerry appears to be letting this play out a bit and taking a wait and see on what JG can do this season before making a call on another extension. Garrett knows he's coaching for his job and it would only make sense that he would want to do it his way to try and prove he deserves another contract. I could see Jerry giving Garrett enough rope to hang himself here. Either it works out for everyone involved or it crashes and burns and Garrett gets replaced - leaving many other things up in the air.

Then y claim there would be no coaching changes?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I have plenty of great conversations with plenty of posters about Jason Garrett. Just never with you.

It's not playing if you're not capable of even making a game out of it, Roy. I'll just keep up with Sydla from here on out if he wants to continue and you can read along, maybe throwing in passive side jabs addressed to him but directed at an intentional misunderstanding of what I've actually said from time to time. Because that's a good look for you.

Fyi.....when I say “we” in the future, now you know exactly what I mean.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Then y claim there would be no coaching changes?
That seems to be the big question. I don't know any more than you do on this point (and vice versa, it's all just speculation). Maybe they were waiting for the Senior Bowl. It wouldn't be the first time a coach wasn't forthcoming with the media. It wasn't even the first time Garrett wasn't forthcoming with the media.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That seems to be the big question. I don't know any more than you do on this point (and vice versa, it's all just speculation). Maybe they were waiting for the Senior Bowl. It wouldn't be the first time a coach wasn't forthcoming with the media. It wasn't even the first time Garrett wasn't forthcoming with the media.

Its obvious why. And the retraction 5 hours later, and Jones smack down of Garrett confirms it.

Now there is no doubt that certain Garrett apologists don't want to believe that their hero is a puppet with ever dwindling control and say.

One could also wildly speculate that Jerry and Stephen hadn't even decided to keep Garrett has HC. But again, there is little evidence to support that.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No. I said that I think the plan to announce Linehan's departure after the Senior Bowl might have changed between his morning and afternoon calls that day, as it obviously did change sometime after Jerry's comments on the 15th and the 18th when the firing was actually announced. Pretty simple explanation for the mixed signals.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No. I said that I think the plan to announce Linehan's departure after the Senior Bowl might have changed between his morning and afternoon calls that day, as it obviously did change sometime after Jerry's comments on the 15th and the 18th when the firing was actually announced. Pretty simple explanation for the mixed signals.

LOL...…..they changed and no one let Garrett know about it?

Your explanations are fantastic and laughable.

Your agenda is spilling out all over the place. WE see right through you.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I missed this comment.

Much easier to believe that the organization decided as a whole who to promote, and then promoted them. Given that they weren't bringing someone in from the outside for a long term deal (which we all know was probably a Jerry stipulation). There was a few days of back and forth between Nussmeier, Moore, and Kitna--which was reported at the time--and they decided that Moore was ready for the big job and promoted him.

That's what ought to be pretty damn clear to anyone who was listening and didn't have an anti-Jason Garrett agenda. Thought it's more fun to believe it happened in a vacuum and without his blessing or involvement if you do.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Remember when Callahan and Garrett didn't see eye to eye? Yeah, me too.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So now it was a gaffe?

It was always a gaffe. He said at the time he didn't remember in the afternoon what he'd said just that morning. So what, though? It's not a big deal. He went from 'no changes expected at this time' to 'we haven't decided yet.' In coach-speak, that's an immaterial difference. The very next day you can say 'yeah, we didn't expect to make changes, but after looking at everything and considering a bit more the direction we wanted to go in, we thought that this was what made the most sense for the team.'

You should be paying more attention to what Jones himself was saying. Saying on the 15th that: "This is the time when these things are thought about. This is the time when they are chewed on. This is when you may see an opportunity next week you didn't know existed this week in the area of personnel or in the area of coaching. And I'm not trying to be cute here. I'm just saying that one of the advantages that we have is that we can operate with that kind of flexibility"--basically that's saying 'we're waiting for the Senior Bowl.' And then three days later, they fire Linehan outright, before the Senior Bowl. Something changed. Something Jerry didn't anticipate 3 days before the firing. And, no, it didn't have anything to do with anything Jason Garrett said.

You might even remember that Linehan didn't talk to the press after the Rams game. He knew what the deal was.

It's much easier to believe that everybody knew exactly what was going to happen with this firing and that they just bungled up how it was announced a little bit than it is to believe it wasn't expected, that the decision was made in a vacuum otherwise, and that they didn't bother to tell the head coach and just left him hanging out to look like an idiot in front of the media.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL...…..they changed and no one let Garrett know about it?

Your explanations are fantastic and laughable.

Your agenda is spilling out all over the place. WE see right through you.

I was actually suggesting something might have changed in between his morning and afternoon media calls--since we know from context something happened to change Jerry's stance in those intervening three days anyway--that would explain how awkwardly Garrett answered the question that afternoon.

Then again, it just could have been a rare awkward moment for him where he legitimately had a brainfart. Since I don't think it's a big deal, either way, I don't really care all that much.

The point I was making is that the team knew for a while what they expected to do re: Linehan, and the only thing that changed was when the firing was announced for some reason.