What if Dak is the one who is holding up the extension or trade?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Besides, no one ever thought "Demarcus Ware is holding us back from winning a championship. We ought to let him go."
fans did want him gone at the end, and were glad he went to another team.
He got on the right team and they won a SB with a all star defense.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Stephen came out and said he will not reach out to Dak's agent untill training camp.
You’re on record thinking Dak would have a deal by March 12th.

Y’all like doomsday prophets with how much you’re picking new dates every time the ones you predicted come and pass with nothing happening.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You are seriously OVERESTIMATING Dak's talent grade.
Do you think there will be a bidding war for his services after all you've witnessed in 8 seasons of beating up dog teams and him folding like a cheap tent vs real teams?? :huh:
Amazing simply amazing.........................:omg:
There are always teams that think they can "fix" other team's players. And the stakes are so high (Super Bowl wins are huge for any team), it's easy for someone to overestimate what Dak has. Like the Walker trade, I'm sure many teams were thinking the Vikings front office had lost their minds in doing that trade.

Never been a shortage of dump personnel moves by teams over the years....

Flamma

Reaction score
Thanks. I was pretty sure I seen about 3 weeks ago they were going to decline that. Probably what I read was wrong.
Of course they are going to decline it. Zero chance they pick that up unless they are insane. This is the reason I asked, what the hell are they doing with him.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That still doesn't stop Dak from making that first move....especially as he supposedly holds the cards.
That's not a pro-Jones take, it's more a statement that neither side appear ready to concede any quarter.
Like I was telling Pappy. Dak isn't worried about an extension. If they don't extend him he becomes a free agent. Either way he will be one of the highest paid QB's around and he knows it.

shabazz

Reaction score
We are living in bizarre times when a back-up QB is being viewed as a guy who can dictate whatever terms he wants….
It's the classic case of the lunatics running the asylum.

It's exactly what has tarnished the NBA......too much players and union driving salaries out of control

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Players like Ware or Hitchens (who went to KC and won a SB) don't have the ball in their hands on almost every play like a QB does. They don't lead teams to championships. Even LT the greatest LB of all time couldn't lead a team to one. You made it a point that players have better opportunities to win a championship elsewhere. I merely pointed out that they do just due to the numbers, especially if they go to teams that have been competing for them.

The QB on this team is having the GM say "We will go as far as Dak goes" because that is almost always true, all things being equal, since that has been the case except for some outlier SB championships, e.g., the Ravens in 2000 or the Bears in 1985 both of which had powerhouse defenses. Now the QB isn't always responsible for failure, he's just typically the most responsible because the ball is in his hands in 99% of the offensive plays. Everyone can look at Dak's play and stats in all of his playoff games. Outside of the playoff game against 8-9 TB, his play has been average to awful, especially in the first half. He's thrown seven picks and I can remember at least three that were in the hands of defenders but were dropped in just the past two playoff games: one in SF when he was tasked with leading the team down the field to make a name for himself where on his first or second play he almost threw a pick to the LB which hit him in the hands and he just dropped it; the other in the GB game a few plays prior to scoring a TD at the end of the half to make it 27-7 where it hit the LB in the hands when he turned around and he just dropped it.

What "Dak-stans" don't seem to get is player evaluators can look at his individual play and see these things. It does not matter what other members of the team do that could've cost the team the game as well. They are independent facts that can and are evaluated separately.
QB is the most important position. no doubt. having an elite one helps. no doubt. its just that there is at most 3 elites at any point in the league and they are usually around for a long while (Rodgers, Brady, etc.). those type of QBs are generational. so searching for that Generational talent to take us over the top....it will take quite a while.

Does it mean that all teams just quit and not play because they don't have and Elite QB? there are non-elite QBs who make it to the superbowl and some who have won it. they have a good strong team around them. their GMs build a competitive team.

but I doubt if even an elite QB would find success in Dallas. we certainly have had good enough QBs, but the rest of the team lacks. and most of the arguments here is Dak is not elite (yes, acknowledged). but that he is also not solely responsible for the losses (although he has been for some). this organization is just not set up to have football success and if people are looking for the QB Jesus to lead the team to promise land, then it ain't happening for a long long long while.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The deadline is next month 05/02/24
Thanks. I was just about to look it up.

So are they better off to pick it up, make Dak a June 1st cut. And just move on now. Or keep Dak, then if they decide to move on after this season. Then they need to work a contract with Lance for an unproven QB. Or just draft a QB.

Most likely we will have Dak for this season. I really hope they do not work out a deal. Then we will be in the same situation or worse in 4 years.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Thanks. I was just about to look it up.

So are they better off to pick it up, make Dak a June 1st cut. And just move on now. Or keep Dak, then if they decide to move on after this season. Then they need to work a contract with Lance for an unproven QB. Or just draft a QB.

Most likely we will have Dak for this season. I really hope they do not work out a deal. Then we will be in the same situation or worse in 4 years.
The 5th year option for Lance is well over $20 million. I don’t believe he has shown enough in his career to warrant that kind of compensation. If Dak is cut I believe the Cowboys endure the entire cap hit in 2024. No chance to spread it out over multiple years.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Like I was telling Pappy. Dak isn't worried about an extension. If they don't extend him he becomes a free agent. Either way he will be one of the highest paid QB's around and he knows it.
Which is exactly the point I'm making, you're focusing on one side of the debate when it's conceivable that neither are fussed on the extension.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Gotta a feeling they are trying their best to trade him before the draft.
I don't know if the demand is out there to make it worth it for them.
At this point Take whatever picks you can get or Post June 1st Cut his Prestrash @@@.......
I mean where are we going next year anyway?????
Would cut a Cooper deal just to get him out of here, but the dead cap stalls it for Jerry.

Kwyn

Reaction score
You are seriously OVERESTIMATING Dak's talent grade.
Do you think there will be a bidding war for his services after all you've witnessed in 8 seasons of beating up dog teams and him folding like a cheap tent vs real teams?? :huh:
Amazing simply amazing.........................:omg:
I think you will be surprised. He would be the #1 free agent in the league.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Michael Penix Jr!

lol, that would be a shocker for sure.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I dont think anyone has considered this?
What if he wants to hit FA ? He is close, and all he has to do is turn down any dallas offer,and wait less than 1 year.

March 25 he would be a FA and can negotiate with any team he wants, and pick the offer he likes best.
Could be the cowboys, or any other team.

Any team that wants him will have to pay big, but no draft picks needed like in a trade.

Cleveland, Denver, both gave up numerous picks for QB's and also payed them big, so Dak as a FA would be much
better than trading for a QB.

Dallas fans have turned on dak, so maybe he wants to say goodbye to them?

I think Dak would be smart to do this, play out this season,be careful to not get hurt, then pick a new team or cowboys and get a huge deal.
Jones boys could not do anything about it if he decided to do this.

I think this could be whats happening and jones boys dont want people to know dak has turned them down and wont talk to them lol.
Only thing I would add is that Dak gets serious endorsement money being the marquee QB of America's Team.
So he will lose some of that with another team.
Has to figure into the money discussions....

BigDPlayer

Reaction score
I dont think anyone has considered this?
What if he wants to hit FA ? He is close, and all he has to do is turn down any dallas offer,and wait less than 1 year.

March 25 he would be a FA and can negotiate with any team he wants, and pick the offer he likes best.
Could be the cowboys, or any other team.

Any team that wants him will have to pay big, but no draft picks needed like in a trade.

Cleveland, Denver, both gave up numerous picks for QB's and also payed them big, so Dak as a FA would be much
better than trading for a QB.

Dallas fans have turned on dak, so maybe he wants to say goodbye to them?

I think Dak would be smart to do this, play out this season,be careful to not get hurt, then pick a new team or cowboys and get a huge deal.
Jones boys could not do anything about it if he decided to do this.

I think this could be whats happening and jones boys dont want people to know dak has turned them down and wont talk to them lol.
Hasn't Dak made enough money at this point? All I'm saying is why not take a $10M/yr contract and allow the team to invest the 'savings' into other positions and get that SB? Didn't Tom Brady do something similar in NE and TB? Or am I living a fever dream?

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
First of all he is a quarterback that is in his prime unlike Brady. So he is considered more vital than the non quarterbacks. Brees was not as good as Dak is now when he left the Chargers.
Congratulations on getting the leading role for the cuckoos remake

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dak has bet on himself before, and he could buy ins. for injurys.
I think the reason for jerry doing what he is doing is to get dak to the negotiation table.
I think Dak and france are not talking to the jones boys, and wont even accept an offer sheet, which has to come first.

If Dak doesnt start the talks, the jones boys cant do anything about it. They are helpless and they dont want the public knowing
Dak is not talking to them and that he is in control right now.

So that is why jerry isnt signing anyone. That is why they said it will be TC, because they hope dak will accept a offer sheet at that point
or before then.
They cant trade dak, without him saying ok, but they cant talk to him!!! So thats out.
It all makes sense now if this is what is happening.

I think maybe dak found out they were wanting him to take way less, so he just cut them off and wont talk.

With the way the team is now dak should know he cant win this season, or do better in playoffs, so why would he want to stay here ?
I think he now wants to get to that FA status.
He can leave here *sooner* by agreeing to be traded.