What if it's Ron Rivera?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, it would be grossly different.

RR knows how to build a D. No more lightly built rushmen manning every position on the LOS. When he lost Star to FA, he went out and got Poe. He signs people like Kyle Love for backups, who would start on our DL.

That's one of the positives that I could see in it. I think Rivera would greatly improve the defense, specifically the long-ignored and screwed-up defensive tackle position.

snapper

Reaction score
Exactly, and that's why I could see him being a real possibility for Jerry to hire.

He has proven he can perform the daily duties of a HC and is a solid game-day manager. His downfall was lack of talent and support from his GM.

I'd say the Cowboys would be no worse.

kskboys

Reaction score
RR would be a monster upgrade on D. On O? Not so much. Of course, on O he was saddled w/ lamebrain Cam, one year wonder Nancyboy.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's one of the positives that I could see in it. I think Rivera would greatly improve the defense, specifically the long-ignored and screwed-up defensive tackle position.
The only real question would be on O. Since Dak is many times the passer Cam is/was, we might be OK, not sure.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only real question would be on O. Since Dak is many times the passer Cam is/was, we might be OK, not sure.

I would expect that Rivera would leave much of the offensive coaching staff intact. Specifically Moore and Kitna.

kskboys

Reaction score
I would expect that Rivera would leave much of the offensive coaching staff intact. Specifically Moore and Kitna.
I love the Kitmo combo, but we don't know yet if they can run a viable consistent O. I've seen both good and bad. I am curious as to just how much say JG has over the O. I know there's been a ton of conjecture, but I don't think we know exactly what's happened to our O.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm curious. RR is a completely D minded coach. Why are so many claiming it will be the same? I mean, maybe it wouldn't be an upgrade, but it would definitely not be even remotely the same.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I agree. But I don't think you can get Rivera as your DC. I think he will have other Head Coach offers.
I agree. I think he will get another chance somewhere, there is already 3 openings (including DC, Dallas, Carolina)….I am sure there are several others, like Chicago? NY1? NY2? Detroit? Cleveland?

cern

Reaction score
RR would be a monster upgrade on D. On O? Not so much. Of course, on O he was saddled w/ lamebrain Cam, one year wonder Nancyboy.
perhaps he'd be interested in becoming our defensive coordinator. that way we could rid ourselves of both Marinelli and Richard.

cern

Reaction score
I love the Kitmo combo, but we don't know yet if they can run a viable consistent O. I've seen both good and bad. I am curious as to just how much say JG has over the O. I know there's been a ton of conjecture, but I don't think we know exactly what's happened to our O.
bring back frank pollack and refortify our o-line to what it was under his tutelage.

kskboys

Reaction score
perhaps he'd be interested in becoming our defensive coordinator. that way we could rid ourselves of both Marinelli and Richard.
If I were Jerry, I'd give him a blank check to come in and be our DC.

garyv

Reaction score
Now that Rivera has been let go by the Panthers, the possibility exists that he could in fact be the next head coach of the Cowboys. I think that there are better hires and I think there are worse hires, but I'm interested to hear the thoughts from the forum and what your reaction would be if Jerry did hire Rivera as this team's next head coach?

That want happen but with NY Giant General Manager I could see the New York Giants his option

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

My best guess?

The same problem they've had since the day Garrett arrived - nobody on the staff that truly understands and appreciates the running game aspect of the offense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm curious. RR is a completely D minded coach. Why are so many claiming it will be the same? I mean, maybe it wouldn't be an upgrade, but it would definitely not be even remotely the same.

I think the feeling is based on a quite similar overall win-loss record as a head coach.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. I think he will get another chance somewhere, there is already 3 openings (including DC, Dallas, Carolina)….I am sure there are several others, like Chicago? NY1? NY2? Detroit? Cleveland?

Yes. And he has a long relationship with Gettleman who's now with the Giants.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That want happen but with NY Giant General Manager I could see the New York Giants his option

I'd have to think that they are an option.

I'm guessing you meant to say "won't happen"? I'm curious as to why you would dismiss it completely?

cern

Reaction score
If I were Jerry, I'd give him a blank check to come in and be our DC.
i'd make him the highest paid dc in the nfl with the power to bring in his own staff of assistant coaches.

cern

Reaction score
we have been told the giants would like garrett should he be fired. and that garrett approves of that message.