What if it's Ron Rivera?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Please no.
Why would we want another coach thats already failed?

What coach is available with SO much "success"? And would take the job?

Some you guys are so funny....been demanding a coaching change for years...then snub your noses at this one? I am not saying he's perfect....AND, I do not believe in making a change any change just for the sake of change. But GENERALLY speaking...if a coach is deemed "successful, he;s likely staying put right where he's "successful".

But if you have someone in mind John I'm all ears!

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The dynamic in the front office wouldn't change whatsoever.
Would it change with any other hire? The Jones family says hi. I wish someone would throw some fruit at Jerrah during his press conferences.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow. That's a weak evaluation method.

Sure it is, but it 'beats thinking'.

I'm in the middle on the whole thing. Rivera isn't my first choice, or even second. But that doesn't mean I would completely dismiss the idea of Rivera. I'm sure the Joneses aren't.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly.

Retread that just got kicked to the curb by someone else.

What's not to like? :laugh:

Again.... I ask you....you seem like such a smart guy...what are your options? You seem to favor someone already with a job? And "success"? Who do you have in mind...realistically?

kskboys

Reaction score
Sure it is, but it 'beats thinking'.

I'm in the middle on the whole thing. Rivera isn't my first choice, or even second. But that doesn't mean I would completely dismiss the idea of Rivera. I'm sure the Joneses aren't.
Me too.

Might not be bad if he has nothing to do w/ the O, but I really don't know much about him as a HC.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Now that Rivera has been let go by the Panthers, the possibility exists that he could in fact be the next head coach of the Cowboys. I think that there are better hires and I think there are worse hires, but I'm interested to hear the thoughts from the forum and what your reaction would be if Jerry did hire Rivera as this team's next head coach?

He'd be a meh HC, but an AWESOME DC for us. I'd love to have him as our DC.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Me too.

Might not be bad if he has nothing to do w/ the O, but I really don't know much about him as a HC.

I'm on the fence. I have faith that he could certainly help to make the defense more sound. But having said that, I also get the 'Wade Phillips' vibe of a coordinator in over his head as a a head coach who's just happy to have the title again.

But often with the best of them, they're only coaching half the team anyway and relying on someone to coach the other half. Take Sean Payton - my personal favorite candidate - he's a great offensive mind, but if he doesn't have a quality coordinator handling the other half? 7-9 seasons. When he does? 12-4 or better and Championship Game and should-have-been Super Bowls.

It's all about a good pairing.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
It would not be an exciting hire at all. Fans would not be happy but anything is better than Garrett.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I agree that he would help to fix the defense, and we'd actually get some defensive tackles. But I don't see what Garrett has ever really brought on the offensive side. What coordinator worth anything needed a babysitter to run half of it for him (running game)?

Well we were a top offense under Garrett when he was the OC. I prefer how he called plays vs linehan in this system. But as far as Ron goes maybe it was more gettleman than Ron's coaching. Gettleman put together some nice teams when Ron was winning.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well we were a top offense under Garrett when he was the OC. I prefer how he called plays vs linehan in this system.

I'd look more closely into that claim. Look at how well-stocked Parcells left that offense (built up to ranking 4th in points) and who all was involved in coaching that offense (like Tony Sparano).

But as far as Ron goes maybe it was more gettleman than Ron's coaching. Gettleman put together some nice teams when Ron was winning.

I'd suggest double-checking that assumption too.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
He might fix the defense. If he keeps Moore and Kitna it might work, definitely an upgrade. I’m 50/50 on this but I’d still prefer a new up and comer....

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
The marketing to the Hispanic community would go through the roof....even more than what it already is. Jerry would make a lot more money......hmmmmmm?

Seriously, he could keep Moore, bring Norv in as Asst. HC and serve as a mentor to Moore.....he would help our defense dramatically.......at the end, I would be okay with it, but he is not a big enough fish to make the kind of splash that Jerry wants.

The local radio here in Dallas has been hinting about Rivera. He would fix the defense. He’s an upgrade for sure.. I still want somebody newer though but he could probably get us to the Championship game...

Reaction score
I would consider Rivera to be an upgrade, albeit a marginal one. Carolina didn't have the talent level of the Cowboys, but he did more with what he had.

Rivera and Garrett have a similar record, but I would submit that Garrett had better talent to work with a large majority of the time and did less with it when compared to Rivera in Carolina.

I like other guys better, but Rivera is not the worst option by a long shot.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With Booger's ego, do you think he would go for another team's cast off?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He might fix the defense. If he keeps Moore and Kitna it might work, definitely an upgrade. I’m 50/50 on this but I’d still prefer a new up and comer....

I'm of very similar thinking.

Part of me thinks that Rivera taking over the defense and HC title while leaving the offense and top coaches intact might produce the necessary results to get over the hump where Garrett clearly can't. :thumbup:

Then again, it could also be 'Wade Phillips era 2.0' where we get what should be a coordinator, in over his head as a head coach, who's just happy to have the job and will do whatever ownership wants. :thumbdown: