CFZ What if the core of this team just isn't that great?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
A few of the 2024 cap charges:

Dak 60 million
Zack Martin 28.5 million
Lawrence 20.5 million
Diggs 16.25 million
Gallup 13.85 million
Zeke 6 million

Some people consider this to be the core of the team. That is nonsense. This is a giant hole that you start in. You hope that people like Lamb and Parsons and Bland and Ferguson are good enough to dig you out. Clearly that was not the case. The core of this team is putrid. Almost 30 million dollar cap charge for an old guard. Laughable stuff.

willia451

Reaction score
We've been talking about this for 30 years. Look. What you really want to know is how can a 13-3 or a 12-5 team fold like a lawn chair in the first round of the playoffs time after time after time.

It's not that they've never had a talented team. It's that they just don't want it bad enough. It's the corporate culture thing. The brand. Everything gets cranked up a notch or two in the playoffs. And the Cowboys aren't like that. They roll out there like they always do thinking they are ready. Thinking this is just the next game. And get spanked by teams that have elevated their game for the moment.

And when things start going south on them early, it just snowballs out of control. They really start looking horrible at that point because some of them panic and for some its business decision time.

So the problem really is the culture. It saturates and infects every aspect of the franchise.

kskboys

Reaction score
You don't win 12 games in this league without good players. They were over confident and poorly coached. MM didn't light a fire under their butts and Quinn out thought himself by running zone. We don't play much zone, that's why their receivers were running wide open. Micha should have taken over MLB when we lost LVE. That's my take
No one says we don't have good players.

Hey, now look. You are jumping on people for giving their opinion. Then why is it OK to give yours? Isn't this team of professionals you're bragging about better equipped as to where to play Micah than you are? How do you know more than these expert coaches?

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Every year we hear the same song and dance; "The Cowboys have a talented roster". Every team has talent. The problem with the Cowboys is not as much whether they're talented. The problem is partly coaching, and partly that this team has no identity. They lack heart. They don't consistently play as a team. It's been this way for almost 30 years.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
We've been talking about this for 30 years. Look. What you really want to know is how can a 13-3 or a 12-5 team fold like a lawn chair in the first round of the playoffs time after time after time.

It's not that they've never had a talented team. It's that they just don't want it bad enough. It's the corporate culture thing. The brand. Everything gets cranked up a notch or two in the playoffs. And the Cowboys aren't like that. They roll out there like they always do thinking they are ready. Thinking this is just the next game. And get spanked by teams that have elevated their game for the moment.

And when things start going south on them early, it just snowballs out of control. They really start looking horrible at that point because some of them panic and for some its business decision time.

So the problem really is the culture. It saturates and infects every aspect of the franchise.
100% Agree. The playoffs are a time when the players who care about their legacy shine. Players who are hungry for the first big contract shine. Players who flat out love to play for the sake of playing shine. The Cowboys trot out a bunch of clowns who would prefer to be anywhere else. D Flaw is offended at the notion that he should play extra football games for nothing when he could be home. Weak sauce all over.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
How anyone can blame the coaches when a team full of supposed men pranced out onto a field and wanted nothing to do with it is beyond me. Those players did not even want to be there let alone win and have to play another one.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
Don’t disagree. But do you think this FO is asking the question, “Maybe we aren’t that good?”
I think that is where the problem lies. In asking that question, they would be admitting maybe they are not that good in evaluating talent.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Well the core of the trenches are weak. It starts there. Can not stop the run. Been that way for a long time now. We miss Fredbeard in the center of our O-Line.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Don’t disagree. But do you think this FO is asking the question, “Maybe we aren’t that good?”
They haven't asked that since Parcells was here. It's always lets tweak it and try to win with the players we have. Their motto We like our guys.

tm1119

Reaction score
We said this with the last core (Romo/Murray/Dez) too…at what point does it sink in that the ownership/GM is the problem? You can’t build a SB team through the draft only and a couple of small trades for aging vets. Until free agency is used in a sensible manner to supliment the roster it won’t matter.

And then the owner and his son need to go away and let real football people do their jobs. Also not do radio hits undermining the coaching staff to the public

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Just another 2024 cap hit if interested Tyron Smith for 6 million even though he is no longer under contract. Future so bright baby.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I understand that. But All Pro or Pro Bowl honors are based on the regular season not the playoffs. Isn’t it possible all those guys just don’t play as well when the competition stiffens? Also there are many players who play their best in the biggest games. That’s where so many of our players seem to shrink.
That could be a culture problem. Weak. I don’t think since Jimmy Johnson or even Tuna we have had a HC with enough power to make players afraid of there job. JJ wants everyone to know it’s his team.. And he runs the show.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No one says we don't have good players.

Hey, now look. You are jumping on people for giving their opinion. Then why is it OK to give yours? Isn't this team of professionals you're bragging about better equipped as to where to play Micah than you are? How do you know more than these expert coaches?
You calling me childish isn't jumping on me for mine?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
There is no breaking news here. We've always known that this team is good but not great. We can debate the reasons why but the thing that lost this playoff game was the opposing coaching staff undressing our coaching staff plain and simple. Our DC continuing to insist on playing safeties at linebacker while teams ram the ball down our throats is unconscionable. Yes Dak had a terrible first half but the Cowboys scored on 4 or 5 straight second half possessions but gained zero ground because the defense continued getting pantsed. This team needs beef up front and a bruiser in the backfield. Pollard and Dowdle ran hard.. but they never made the Packers respect the run because it was never consistent. The good news is for all the people calling for this team to look different next season you will get your wish. Even under the best circumstances a third of your roster gets turned over. I do think Diggs, LVE and Overshown will help the defense a lot. And I really think over time it will come out that the reason we played so much zone on Saturday is that Quinn was trying to protect Gilmore's shoulder. I think he was playing with one arm which is why you never saw him put that right shoulder in harm's way. That's just football. I would have subbed for him after the second time he missed the jam on Doubs and gave up a long ball on 3rd and long. Someone posted in another thread that the guys who were on Quinn's offensive staff in ATL simply have his number. I was going to post that on Sunday night was too depressed. Even at full health they have the advantage it seems. With the defense essentially missing three starters (Diggs, LVE and for intents and purposes Gilmore) it was no contest.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
One of the hard parts of losing in the manner the Cowboys did Sunday is the very real possibility that what was considered the strong core of this team is probably incapable (as currently constituted) to compete seriously for a championship. And the evidence is clear- they can’t win big playoff games against the best teams in the league. That’s not an opinion. That’s based on this team’s playoff record WITH this core.

What is the core of this team? It‘s the guys this FO believes are the best players we have. The guys we would never trade or cut because of their value to the team. Here is that core:
  • Dak Prescott (8 yr vet- 2-5 playoff record)
  • Micah Parsons (3 yr vet- 1-2 in the playoffs)
  • Cedee Lamb (4 yr vet- 1-2 in the playoffs)
  • Zack Martin (11 yr vet- 3-6 in the playoffs)
  • Tyron Smith (14 yr vet- 3-6 in the playoffs)
  • DeMarcus Law (11 yr vet- 3-6 in the playoffs)
  • Tyler Smith (2 yr vet- 1-2 in the playoffs)
  • Trevon Diggs (5 yr vet)
So having all these talented players on this roster, some of which are very highly paid or are about to get bigger paydays, has amounted to 3 total playoff wins over the last 14 seasons? That’s it? These “must have” guys are so valuable as a core, we have won 3 wild card playoff games with them? With two different HCs and multiple different coordinators in some cases.

Many fans here won’t like this…but there’s a very good chance that the core of this roster- the centerpiece of talent for this team - is vastly overrated. OR…we have a front office that is incapable of finding a coaching staff that can motivate and shape this core into playoff winners. It actually could be both.

This organization will NOT look in the mirror and ask the tough question: What if the core of our team isn’t that great?
Bob,
I think it has become painfully obvious that the Cowboys are not doing anything meaningful in the playoffs with Jerry in charge of this team.
1. He promotes a toxic culture.
2. He does not have the skillset to be a good/great GM.
Until he moves on, we are destined for playoff disappointment every year.

Praxit

Reaction score
....geez, I dont know Bullet. I honestly feel, Dallas has good players.

Its up to the coaches to put them in best possible situations to win.

For me now, I see DQ as style point defense coach. What is best way to create turnovers mindset.

ITs like he doesn't see the WHOLE picture.

Rather to just sticking with basic fundamental football. Stopping the run and getting ball back to offense.

He see's every snap as opportunity for style football. Guess what? Dallas was near top in all STYLE point stats. Takeaways, pressures, sacks..etc.

So when defense goes 15 rounds, they dont know how.

links18

Reaction score
They think they are close. Or close enough. They will run it back again as much as they can.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
the core is ok, the culture needs to be replaced, and the Jones boys have to agree to a few items before this franchise can go forward. They are the road blocks to success

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If the guys who get paid big money are ghosts in the playoffs it spells disaster.

jsb357

Reaction score
What if the core of our team isn’t that great?
What if?

heston.gif