CFZ What if the core of this team just isn't that great?

kskboys

Reaction score
Well the core of the trenches are weak. It starts there. Can not stop the run. Been that way for a long time now. We miss Fredbeard in the center of our O-Line.
Which is why most of us were so majorly POed when we took a TE in the 2nd. Has nothing to do w/ the player, Schooner is not a bad prospect, it's the position we took.

Same thing happened in 2021 when we passed on Creed Humphrey to take Thugboy Joseph. We could've had the C position nailed down for 10 years. And yes, I thought so at the time, no hindsight involved.

And those decisions are the ones that just keep coming back to haunt us. They're killing us.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We said this with the last core (Romo/Murray/Dez) too…at what point does it sink in that the ownership/GM is the problem? You can’t build a SB team through the draft only and a couple of small trades for aging vets. Until free agency is used in a sensible manner to supliment the roster it won’t matter.

And then the owner and his son need to go away and let real football people do their jobs. Also not do radio hits undermining the coaching staff to the public
This is when one like isn’t enough.

Exactly spot on, and simple.

Thing is, narcissists don’t have the ability to recognize that they could possibly be wrong. Sounds odd if you’ve never dealt with that type of person, but those who have know it’s fully true….

But yeah the ignoring of free agency so you can save cap money for your own draft picks years down the road is a great idea….if you hit on every single draft pick and mid-round guys turn into studs routinely…..which doesn’t happen for any team, ever, let alone this group.

It’s a flawed strategy and many of us have been saying it forever. Doesn’t matter. They are gonna do what they do yet again, and sit there with those smug looks at the TC PC as if they are killing it.

Makes me sick, and completely ashamed to have chosen this franchise. What’s even worse is I made that choice because of Coach and his class act….now I’m stuck with Jerry’s ego and his kid who may be an even worse leader when the time comes.

Oh well I guess I had my day.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
One of the hard parts of losing in the manner the Cowboys did Sunday is the very real possibility that what was considered the strong core of this team is probably incapable (as currently constituted) to compete seriously for a championship. And the evidence is clear- they can’t win big playoff games against the best teams in the league. That’s not an opinion. That’s based on this team’s playoff record WITH this core.

What is the core of this team? It‘s the guys this FO believes are the best players we have. The guys we would never trade or cut because of their value to the team. Here is that core:
  • Dak Prescott (8 yr vet- 2-5 playoff record)
  • Micah Parsons (3 yr vet- 1-2 in the playoffs)
  • Cedee Lamb (4 yr vet- 1-2 in the playoffs)
  • Zack Martin (11 yr vet- 3-6 in the playoffs)
  • Tyron Smith (14 yr vet- 3-6 in the playoffs)
  • DeMarcus Law (11 yr vet- 3-6 in the playoffs)
  • Tyler Smith (2 yr vet- 1-2 in the playoffs)
  • Trevon Diggs (5 yr vet)
So having all these talented players on this roster, some of which are very highly paid or are about to get bigger paydays, has amounted to 3 total playoff wins over the last 14 seasons? That’s it? These “must have” guys are so valuable as a core, we have won 3 wild card playoff games with them? With two different HCs and multiple different coordinators in some cases.

Many fans here won’t like this…but there’s a very good chance that the core of this roster- the centerpiece of talent for this team - is vastly overrated. OR…we have a front office that is incapable of finding a coaching staff that can motivate and shape this core into playoff winners. It actually could be both.

This organization will NOT look in the mirror and ask the tough question: What if the core of our team isn’t that great?
If Kyle shanahan, John harbaugh, Mcvay or other top coaches have this talent with this roster do you think the results we’ve had oars the same? I’m genuinely curious

kskboys

Reaction score
If Kyle shanahan, John harbaugh, Mcvay or other top coaches have this talent with this roster do you think the results we’ve had oars the same? I’m genuinely curious
Those guys would've filled the glaring holes in our roster. That's what we're missing.

CapnCook

Reaction score
9 All-Pro players, many of them on the offensive and defensive line. The pundits and football experts believe the core is pretty damn good, which means JJ has done his job as a GM. :huh: ...even though this team ended the season with no LBs, no viable FS and a void at DT.
Built from the outside in, and incomplete. Rinse, lather, repeat.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
One of the hard parts of losing in the manner the Cowboys did Sunday is the very real possibility that what was considered the strong core of this team is probably incapable (as currently constituted) to compete seriously for a championship. And the evidence is clear- they can’t win big playoff games against the best teams in the league. That’s not an opinion. That’s based on this team’s playoff record WITH this core.

What is the core of this team? It‘s the guys this FO believes are the best players we have. The guys we would never trade or cut because of their value to the team. Here is that core:
So having all these talented players on this roster, some of which are very highly paid or are about to get bigger paydays, has amounted to 3 total playoff wins over the last 14 seasons? That’s it? These “must have” guys are so valuable as a core, we have won 3 wild card playoff games with them? With two different HCs and multiple different coordinators in some cases.

Many fans here won’t like this…but there’s a very good chance that the core of this roster- the centerpiece of talent for this team - is vastly overrated. OR…we have a front office that is incapable of finding a coaching staff that can motivate and shape this core into playoff winners. It actually could be both.

This organization will NOT look in the mirror and ask the tough question: What if the core of our team isn’t that great?
100%, I'm not sure what this FO will do about it though because that is a HUGE self reflection on thier football acumen...heres the thing- fire MM or whatever but Whomever is the next coach needs to be able to bring in who he wants as a staff AND have a say so on these players..THEN as a GM you can give him a timeline and hold him accountable..i have 0 faith thats what will happen though.

Eightneight

Reaction score
My thoughts....the team needs to be rebuilt to be more physical in the trenches on both sides of the ball. While some pieces are in place already, there needs to be a constant emphasis on building and sustaining depth on the lines. They blew it in last years draft by skipping on an o-lineman in the 2nd rd. A 3rd TE never crossed my mind tbh. This team is a finesse team on offense and defense. It doesn't work obviously.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The team's core is not built correctly. All of the pieces fail because they refuse to invest in playmakers and do not run a system that provides easy solutions.

RS12

Reaction score
Did they look that great to you two days ago? Weak schedule lead to delusions of grandure. GB gave everybody a look at what they really are in the harsh light of day. A slightly above 500 team made to look better by horrible quality of opponent.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
They are not
I said in last off season that we should have traded Diggs. Unfortunately he will be back. Trade Dak and Parsons
When the LEADER of this team makes a statement like" I don't dwell on the past, I move on", then what makes you think anything is going to change with his lousy play in playoff games? As bad as Prescot has played in playoff games you would think that he would diffidently want to dwell on the past and try to figure why he is what he is and reach out for help from past greats in the league, but not him!

75boyz

Reaction score
Structure???

What you described below is absolutely poor coaching. How in the hec do you start a playoff game at home like that, with a lack of aggression, penalties and a poor execution of plays on both sides of the ball. Players looking at each other like it's the 1st preseason game. Come on, man!!!!

McCarthy and Quinn must go. Whatever success they had for much of the season, it was negated by the start of that game.

And the players must be accountable too. Dak, Micah, the safeties, the vaunted Dee Line...all of them played like crap. Pay cuts for them all, or cut them!

Significant hanges must occur, because that was a ridiculous showing on Sunday at home. Inexcusable to start the game that way, and inexcusable to get outcoached that badly in the playoffs.
Excellent post.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
We could play the same game with Philly. They have a core of AJ Brown, Devonta Smith, Lane Johnson, Kelce, and Goedert, and that's just on offense. They're loaded. So why do they suck?

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
GB rolled out a team of rookies and a first year starter QB and absolutely smoked this team of all pros. Just goes to show accolades don’t mean squat
Because coaching matters, no matter how many "quality" players you have.

Chuck 54

Reaction score

Look at your list. The core of your team cannot be all small, finesse players. Tyler Smith is the only interior player on the list besides two old linemen on the downside of their careers. No RB, and frankly we are not a good run blocking team. No DTs, no LBs.

If the QB and coach hate can go on for years, then I’m going to continue as well.
If you cannot run the ball and stop the run, you are doomed. Even KC has changed part of their offensive identity with a late round grinder like Pacheco. We do not have an elite QB, but even an elite QB needs a run game. And there’s no way in hell I’m giving Parsons a huge payday. He’s a great pass rusher, but he is not a 4-3 DE, and his pass rush means nothing to offenses who can run the ball. To pay Parsons without first loading up to stop the run, maybe even going to the 3-4 defense, is just stupid.

We have the OLBs and the DEs for the 3-4. We don’t have the DTs or the LBs for either defense, so make the change now.

bewp7

Reaction score
they are good

the problem is so are other playoff team and they are not good enough to over come TERRIBLE coaching and TERRIBLE qb play

it can work in the regular season vs crap team but vs team with same or even more talent AND better coaching AND better qb play???

u see what will happen u get sent home

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Those guys would've filled the glaring holes in our roster. That's what we're missing.
Impossible to fill holes when you operate the way we do. Diggs won't tackle in playoffs holds out, make him the highest paid DB ever. Fat Zeke holds out, make him highest paid RB ever. Martin is a decrepit old man and holds out, make him highest paid guard ever. Kelvin Joseph, Sam Williams, Jaylon Smith, Randy Gregory all second round picks you have to be kidding me. If we want things to change we have to be willing to do things that we have not done before.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It's a real dilemma.

All you can do is prepare hard and play your best in a long, 17-game season to make sure you make the playoffs and hopefully win your division. They did that part.

If you play well in the regular season, most expect you to not wilt in game one of the playoffs.
The "experts" and most of us here in the Zoners Poll certainly thought Dallas would win.

So, it's going to really weird during the regular season next year and it makes you wonder if we'll take a step back.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Bobby, I dispute your premise. 12-5 and the best record in the conference does not happen with the core of the team being weak. Losing a single game, even in the playoffs, is not evidence of your claim either. This is a talented bunch that has 36 regular season wins in just 3 years. Maybe it's just hard to get to a conference championship. Maybe the entitlement of the fans of the 90's is still infectious. Maybe a GM who is exempt from accountability prevents this team from getting any better.

I just hope the core of this team can be kept around for next season.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
100%, I'm not sure what this FO will do about it though because that is a HUGE self reflection on thier football acumen...heres the thing- fire MM or whatever but Whomever is the next coach needs to be able to bring in who he wants as a staff AND have a say so on these players..THEN as a GM you can give him a timeline and hold him accountable..i have 0 faith thats what will happen though.
This is what the organizations who are winning SBs do. Hire people, let them do their jobs without interference, then hold them accountable for results. Unfortunately our owner does not follow that organizational truth.