What if the Cowboys announced they do not care about playoff wins?

Blitzen

Reaction score
What if the Cowboys won the super bowl? Would that change your life?

I love this stuff. Bring it on-as I cheer for the team. The more, the better. Life goes on with either scenario-football is ultimately an entertaining distraction.

To your question-I assume you are asking what my reaction would be to the Cowboys winning the Super Bowl. I’ve answered this one before from other fans that think they understand other people’s psyches. I would be shocked and tickled at a Super Bowl win especially with this current core.

The great part about threads like this is we can do these mirror questions. I can answer questions like this, but you will notice how many just in this thread refuse to entertain a simple pretend scenario because it’s evidently too disturbing and upsetting to their sensibilities to do so. Difference being-I can pretend the happy flowery scenario, and others cannot (will not) pretend the negative scenario. It’s hilarious. Life goes on in either scenario though.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Even though hypothetical, this is a nonsense scenario. I sometimes really don't get some fans, or what's going on in their heads. Why is it interesting to think about this?

They care about play off wins. They crave play off success almost as much as being commercially successful. They just don't know how. And they won't hire a true GM.

That's the simple issue. But I have no reason to doubt Jerry's motivation.
Here's the reason - Jerry knows he's the issue that is holding this franchise back. He's admitted as much in the past, but yet he insists on staying as the GM despite this. Thus, he doesn't care about winning in the playoffs. If he did he would hire a qualified GM and get the heck out of the way. He can then devote all of his time to scheduling tractor pulls, college football games, concerts, and whatever other circus attractions at the Deathstar that he wants to.

ArtClink

Reaction score
I know this would never happen, but let’s pretend that during a news conference-Jerry and Stephen announce they do not care if they win a single other playoff game if they were guaranteed to be in the playoffs each season.

What would your reaction be to that statement?
Would your interest in the team change at all? Would you still spend money on the team? Throw rotten tomatoes/onions/feces at Jerry and Stephen if given the chance?

Happy Birthday Murica! And I’m sorry if my initial thread upset anyone’s sensibilities so early in the morning.
By their actions, this front office doesn’t care about playoff wins. It’s much more important what they do vs what they say. “Secret sauce” comes to mind.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Jerry and Co. have made their fair share of mistakes...but I think its overblown.

Paying to many players top dollar has been an issue...now its waiting to pay top players too late while the price rises.

I dont think any of those are fatal to a team.

I think the Cowboys are run well enough.

I point to coaching as being the issue. We seem to not be ready or dont have good game plans in Playoffs. We get outclassed...and not because of the QB.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Jerry and Co. have made their fair share of mistakes...but I think its overblown.

Paying to many players top dollar has been an issue...now its waiting to pay top players too late while the price rises.

I dont think any of those are fatal to a team.

I think the Cowboys are run well enough.

I point to coaching as being the issue. We seem to not be ready or dont have good game plans in Playoffs. We get outclassed...and not because of the QB.

I agree.

I don’t think ownership really is the reason why teams win titles anyway. The Chiefs ownership group is the same one that oversaw 50 years of minimal playoff success. The Bengals didn’t get to the Super Bowl because Mike Brown became a great owner out of the blue, either.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I agree.

I don’t think ownership really is the reason why teams win titles anyway. The Chiefs ownership group is the same one that oversaw 50 years of minimal playoff success. The Bengals didn’t get to the Super Bowl because Mike Brown became a great owner out of the blue, either.
Problem is...posters will latch on to "its the FOs job to find a good coach"

I agree with Jerry/FO's ideology in the Garrett era. They didn't want to turn over HC's often because continuity is important and coaches deserve more than 2 or 3 years to implement a system. Plus players having to learn new systems every 2 or 3 years can be counter productive...they don't get to master a system.

I still feel playoff preparations and game plan have been our issue. Don't know if that is the HC or FO that should take blame

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I know this would never happen, but let’s pretend that during a news conference-Jerry and Stephen announce they do not care if they win a single other playoff game if they were guaranteed to be in the playoffs each season.

Would your interest in the team change at all? Would you still spend money on the team? Throw rotten tomatoes/onions/feces at Jerry and Stephen if given the chance?

Happy Birthday Murica! And I’m sorry if my initial thread upset anyone’s sensibilities so early in the morning.
I'm going to pretend you didn't ask this ridiculous question. :cool:

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Seriously i do think they care about payoff wins. But its not such a high priority.

With that said i come back to your question: It would not change a lot for me, because i figured the above said out a long time ago. So i would still watch games. That they dont care about playoff wins wouldnt mean that the team wouldnt be able to win one or two eventually. So hope never dies.

Buying stuff: I never buy stuff of the DC franchise. I never did and never will do (well never say never ;-)). Why would i make myself an instrument of an industry whos only goal is to sell rubbish to people ? Buying merchandize stuff doesnt make you a better fan. Fandom comes from the heart. It is not defined by how much you pump up the wallet of your beloved franchise.

And whats more my friends and everybody who is important to me (and i to them) know how i feel about the DC. I dont need to show or prove it to somebody else.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As long as this owner chooses to play fantasy football with this team alongside his giggling offspring, the team is already announcing what they’ve done for nearly three decades.

When you really think about it, this what our owner tells this fan base every off-season:
  • ”Nothing will change at the top of this organization no matter the results.”
  • ”We just need to get lucky. We are right at the rim every year.”
  • ”Financial might makes all other things right.”
  • ”As long as I’m breathing, someone else will be held accountable for my failures on the field.”
In essence, this fan base is expected to “have faith” in and continue to buy the product Jerry produces despite 4 wild card wins this century. It is insanity.