What if the Cowboys announced they do not care about playoff wins?

Flamma

Reaction score
Man, that is a contradictory statement. If they're not even trying to take the steps to winning in the playoffs, then how can you claim they care? I think it's clear that they don't care.
Because you want to win just in general. No different than when you play the lottery. They have a standard operating procedure. As long as they get to the playoffs, they're happy. They simply hope for the best in the playoffs.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Jethro loves attention and money
That is the key
as long as he is getting both he is satisfied and will not make any big changes

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Because you want to win just in general. No different than when you play the lottery. They have a standard operating procedure. As long as they get to the playoffs, they're happy. They simply hope for the best in the playoffs.
It is like saying I want to win the lottery but then I spend my money on cigarettes instead of lottery tickets. That is what Jerrry does.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Why do people claim they want to win when they've gone out of their way to prove that they do not care about winning?
They dont care to you.

Dont ruin the board for others

Go hold a sign out in front of the Star.

Do you really think this board doesnt have enough of people griping about this issue? An issue that isnt going to change while Jerry is here?

People that dont like Jerry and the FO will always find something to hate.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A Duke Tobin (Cincinnati Bengals) article (link).

A Brett Veach (Kansas City Chiefs) article (link). A more critical article of Veach (link).

It is not about ownership.

It has been totally about the inflexibility towards football management's oversight--Tobin's and Veach's peers in decision-making--for almost 30 years as far as the Dallas Cowboys is concerned.

Addressing the OP, my initial reaction, directed at both Jerry and Stephen Jones, would be haughty derision to their announcement, as best demonstrated by Sheldon Cooper:

2a8N31x.gif

The announcement would signify their self-acknowledgment they could not succeed at managing the team so rigidly for so long.

"Would your interest in the team change at all?" No. I was a Cowboys fan before the Joneses. I did not morph into a Joneses fan after they entered the picture.

"Would you still spend money on the team?" Yes. If I like a Dallas Cowboys cap that says Dallas Cowboys, I will buy the cap so that anyone looking at my head will say to themselves, "Say! I bet he is a Dallas Cowboys fan!"

"Throw rotten tomatoes/onions/feces at Jerry and Stephen if given the chance?" It somewhat depends upon whether I will not be charged with assault and battery doing so.

If I can get away with it, my answer would be yes for both the tomatoes and onions. Regardless whether I can get away with it or not, my answer would be both no and eww to feces. Feces? C'mon on, man...

Blitzen

Reaction score
This is a hypothetical football topic. Please refrain from deviating from it.

I never expected the power of positivity folks to take part in my thread other than to cast insults or their refusal to take part. The funny thing about my thread is how individuals cannot be okay with entertaining a hypothetical negative scenario (even for a moment).

Who cares though right? It should not actually affect your fandom either way. Maybe it might actually upset people if they did publicly announce this. Whether they do or do not announce something like this, the actual results on the field the last 30-ish years remain the same.

Off-season moves can help make or break a team’s chances. Look at the move history for the past 10-15 years. The pattern has been very similar (draft and develop, sign good in house players to large contracts, avoid large contract outside free agents, trade mid or low round picks for outside players-one deviation, and stay the course. I think those last few words are why the team has been steadily productive in the regular season-don’t make many big drastic moves and risk a poor regular season.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
If you don’t think ownership really matters in teams winning titles, realize this - the winning owners of the last 28 SBs all hired someone besides themselves as the GM. The owner who has decided to remain in charge no matter what has not won a divisional playoff game since Barry Switzer roamed our sidelines.

The owner/GM model does not work anymore. This is no longer an NFL era where a guy like Al Davis or Jerry Jones can be owner and GM and hoist a Lombardi. We have three decades of evidence including 28 straight Lombardis being hoisted by owners who hired someone else to be GM.
Ok.Correlation is not causation.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Not getting to an NFCCG is both poor management and partially luck. Just dumb luck should have gotten us there by now. Look at the Lions, did they do anything special to get there?
GM change - led to coaching change - led to a massive culture change - led to solid drafting with an identity in mind.

They let go of Stafford pretty much where Dak is right now that takes kahoots. Funny enough the person behind this is a Cowboys player - we are not rotten as you can see players with that demeanour exist and were and are Cowboys.

Our GM needs to GM better in terms of changing the identity of the team - won’t happen bc he wants points but we literally need more BULLIES.

Detroit drafted BULLIES.

J_Allen

Reaction score
They've already said that. They've pulled no shows in the playoffs starting with Arizona in 1998.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ok.Correlation is not causation.
Unless you analyze and evaluate, then in this case correlation is extreme causation. And manalive, you gotta really really really be not paying attention to not see this. It's just so blatant. You can actually point to the obvious mistakes that show this beyond any doubt whatsoever. Kelvin? Trysten? Schoonmaker? I mean, this is obvious stuff, mistakes no semi competent GM would make.

kskboys

Reaction score
They dont care to you.

Dont ruin the board for others

Go hold a sign out in front of the Star.

Do you really think this board doesnt have enough of people griping about this issue? An issue that isnt going to change while Jerry is here?

People that dont like Jerry and the FO will always find something to hate.
Holy Larry, griping about others griping!!!! Good stuff, man!!!!!

Griping ruins the boards? Looks like you're guilty, dude.

Seriously, how in the world did you come up w/ this ruin the board thingie? I mean, it's just so weak. Maybe try again and do better?

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Unless you analyze and evaluate, then in this case correlation is extreme causation. And manalive, you gotta really really really be not paying attention to not see this. It's just so blatant. You can actually point to the obvious mistakes that show this beyond any doubt whatsoever. Kelvin? Trysten? Schoonmaker? I mean, this is obvious stuff, mistakes no semi competent GM would make.
Every team has draft choices they regret. All Gms. Even the “semi-competent” ones. Sorry.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Nothing ever changes for me. Nothing has changed for me through all the owners, coaches and players since 1965.
I love the Cowboys. I support the players. I hope to win every game even if it hurts our draft slot. I never wavered through 3 consecutive 5-11 years under Campo, not when Parcels was coach despite my personal dislike for him and the break in Cowboys history as he moved away from the 4-3 to the 3-4. I never wavered through the years of QB wasteland.

Jerry Jones bought the team and saved us from the worst owner in our history, hired Jimmy Johnson and supported him in a way that brought us 3 More championships. I will always be grateful even if we never win another.

Yes, I’m a HOMER.

Flamma

Reaction score
GM change - led to coaching change - led to a massive culture change - led to solid drafting with an identity in mind.

They let go of Stafford pretty much where Dak is right now that takes kahoots. Funny enough the person behind this is a Cowboys player - we are not rotten as you can see players with that demeanour exist and were and are Cowboys.

Our GM needs to GM better in terms of changing the identity of the team - won’t happen bc he wants points but we literally need more BULLIES.

Detroit drafted BULLIES.
You definitely make a solid point there. But unless our owner changes his SOP, a new GM would just be drafting, managing the cap, and filling in holes with undrafted free agents. There really wouldn't be much for him to do.