What if the Cowboys announced they do not care about playoff wins?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree.

I don’t think ownership really is the reason why teams win titles anyway. The Chiefs ownership group is the same one that oversaw 50 years of minimal playoff success. The Bengals didn’t get to the Super Bowl because Mike Brown became a great owner out of the blue, either.
If you don’t think ownership really matters in teams winning titles, realize this - the winning owners of the last 28 SBs all hired someone besides themselves as the GM. The owner who has decided to remain in charge no matter what has not won a divisional playoff game since Barry Switzer roamed our sidelines.

The owner/GM model does not work anymore. This is no longer an NFL era where a guy like Al Davis or Jerry Jones can be owner and GM and hoist a Lombardi. We have three decades of evidence including 28 straight Lombardis being hoisted by owners who hired someone else to be GM.

kskboys

Reaction score
I know this would never happen, but let’s pretend that during a news conference-Jerry and Stephen announce they do not care if they win a single other playoff game if they were guaranteed to be in the playoffs each season.

What would your reaction be to that statement?
Would your interest in the team change at all? Would you still spend money on the team? Throw rotten tomatoes/onions/feces at Jerry and Stephen if given the chance?

Happy Birthday Murica! And I’m sorry if my initial thread upset anyone’s sensibilities so early in the morning.
They already have. Last time they screamed they don't care was when they took Schoonmaker in the 2nd. Now they're screaming it again by not even attempting to improve positions of weakness, in this case RB and DT.

kskboys

Reaction score
Even though hypothetical, this is a nonsense scenario. I sometimes really don't get some fans, or what's going on in their heads. Why is it interesting to think about this?

They care about play off wins. They crave play off success almost as much as being commercially successful. They just don't know how. And they won't hire a true GM.

That's the simple issue. But I have no reason to doubt Jerry's motivation.
These two statements are completely contradictory. Jerry has stated unoquivocally that he is a bad GM. Knowing that and refusing to move on from this bad GM means that Jerry does not care if they win playoff games or not.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I think they care about playoff wins. They just want to make the playoffs and hope for the best. They don't want to push a lot of money forward. Because doing that can lead to lean years. They don't want lean years.
They care more about their ego and pockets than having a winning franchise.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree with this statement 100%. IMHO it is not even debatable anymore. They have made numerous decisions that clearly indicate they prioritize many other things over winning meaningful playoff games.
To add, they've also made numerous statements that say the same thing. Winning is not their priority, they're screaming it from the box.

kskboys

Reaction score
For the record-I believe Jerry definitely cares about winning in the playoffs. I’ve felt for awhile that Stephen cares about the appearance of caring-though he cares way more about lining his pockets with as little effort as possible.
Why? He's screaming it from the rooftops that he doesn't.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm going to pretend you didn't ask this ridiculous question. :cool:
Correct, because they've already announced, and continue to do so over and over again.

Jerry: "You do not need a good OL if you have a mobil QB."(Yes, he said that.)

Translation: Winning is not important.

kskboys

Reaction score
Jerry and Co. have made their fair share of mistakes...but I think its overblown.

Paying to many players top dollar has been an issue...now its waiting to pay top players too late while the price rises.

I dont think any of those are fatal to a team.

I think the Cowboys are run well enough.

I point to coaching as being the issue. We seem to not be ready or dont have good game plans in Playoffs. We get outclassed...and not because of the QB.
Then you are not paying attention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea where the disconnect comes from. Jerry hires the coaches. Think, man, think.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree.

I don’t think ownership really is the reason why teams win titles anyway. The Chiefs ownership group is the same one that oversaw 50 years of minimal playoff success. The Bengals didn’t get to the Super Bowl because Mike Brown became a great owner out of the blue, either.
Absolutely. However, in our case ownership is the reason we DON'T win titles, and that is simply a proven fact.

kskboys

Reaction score
Problem is...posters will latch on to "its the FOs job to find a good coach"

I agree with Jerry/FO's ideology in the Garrett era. They didn't want to turn over HC's often because continuity is important and coaches deserve more than 2 or 3 years to implement a system. Plus players having to learn new systems every 2 or 3 years can be counter productive...they don't get to master a system.

I still feel playoff preparations and game plan have been our issue. Don't know if that is the HC or FO that should take blame
Can you explain to me why it's not? I mean, are you really unaware of how a chain of command works? C'mon, you cannot be this naive.

Flamma

Reaction score
Why? He's screaming it from the rooftops that he doesn't.
I think they care about winning and losing in the playoffs, they just don't take any steps to ensure it. That's clear. Having a good team, getting to the playoffs and hoping for the best is all we get. Tony Romo is better than any QB that got the SB on the Rams, Eagles, and 49ers in recent history. Dak is probably better than all but Matt Stafford. Yet we don't come close.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
As long as this owner chooses to play fantasy football with this team alongside his giggling offspring, the team is already announcing what they’ve done for nearly three decades.

When you really think about it, this what our owner tells this fan base every off-season:
  • ”Nothing will change at the top of this organization no matter the results.”
  • ”We just need to get lucky. We are right at the rim every year.”
  • ”Financial might makes all other things right.”
  • ”As long as I’m breathing, someone else will be held accountable for my failures on the field.”
In essence, this fan base is expected to “have faith” in and continue to buy the product Jerry produces despite 4 wild card wins this century. It is insanity.
Jerry has his brand, and the Cowboys brand is hard to squash even if you do nothing in the playoffs.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think they care about winning and losing in the playoffs, they just don't take any steps to ensure it. That's clear. Having a good team, getting to the playoffs and hoping for the best is all we get. Tony Romo is better than any QB that got the SB on the Rams, Eagles, and 49ers in recent history. Dak is probably better than all but Matt Stafford. Yet we don't come close.
Man, that is a contradictory statement. If they're not even trying to take the steps to winning in the playoffs, then how can you claim they care? I think it's clear that they don't care.

kskboys

Reaction score
Why do people claim they want to win when they've gone out of their way to prove that they do not care about winning?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The entire career of J Smooth is an open and shut case. You do not draft him if winning playoff games is the priority. You do not play him when he is killing the team. You do not sign him to that absurd contract. The entire thing was a feel good story and publicity stunt that literally cost the team wins. Jerry does not care. It is his toy and he will play with it however he wants. We drafted a tiny baby because his dad works for the team. We brought back a washed out cripple because Jerry drafted him 4th overall once. The entire RB position is compromised because Jerry does what he feels like. It is complete madness and to say otherwise is willful ignorance.