What If the Cowboys moved?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
The Cowboys are a certain bet to remain the Dallas Cowboys as anything else that can be said to be certain until the Earth explodes or the city disappears from it.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I grew up in NC. Back then it was Deadskin territory. I think I was the only person in school who was a Cowboy fan. lol
I grew up in Cowboys land. Tons of fans but you would see Commanders fans. Very few Atlanta fans unless it was the Braves. I'm from Wilkes County......moonshine capital of the world haha

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Franchise re-location is a good (if not perfect) test of any person's fanship. The action presents a personal conundrum whether someone loves the organization/team or someone loves the organization because of where the organization is based.

Personally, I have loads of respect for fans who fall in love with a organization and never fall out of love with that organization after they moved to a new city. That sense of fanship is even more impressive when the previous host city/region replaces the old franchise with a new one and an original fan continues following the re-located franchise. That's loyalty personified.

People come and go. Players exit via free agency or retire. Coaches are fired and hired. Owners pass on their legacy to children or sell their franchises. People change over time but the franchise remains constant through good and bad times.

So, what is it that people really love about "their" team at any given point in their lives? Is it the current people who currently make up the team's roster, coaching staff, etc.? Is it a matter of geography? Or is it that particular singular business entity? Good questions.

What if the Cowboys moved? To me, the Dallas Cowboys is what Clint Murchison created and what H.R. Bright and Jerry Jones later bought. Part or all of the franchise name could change but I would continue following the team 100% no matter where it transplanted itself but trying to catch a home game in Shanghai would be PRETTY darn difficult... :(

:)

SDCowboy

Reaction score
If they moved to a different state, changed their uniforms and helmets, and took on a new nickname ... I would cease to follow them.

I would have no idea who I would root for. Definitely not the Giants ...
Well that would be a completely different situation. If they changed names, towns and uniforms, they wouldn't be the Cowboys anymore, then. lol

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Legendary coach Paul Brown helped create the Cleveland Browns franchise in the 1940's. Art Modell re-located the franchise to Baltimore and renamed them as the Ravens in the mid 90's. Several years later, a totally new organization was created and was named the Cleveland Browns.

I think it's VERY safe to say (probably HUGE understatement) that the overwhelming majority of fans who followed the Browns before Modell packed up the franchise identify themselves as Cleveland Browns fans. However, they aligned their past fanship with the current Browns franchise and severed their previous fanship with the team they used to follow. It's not an original occurrence and has happened too often not only within the NFL but in other sports leagues worldwide but there is a noted difference due to the self-modification of fan allegiance. In this case, the franchise name bonds fan loyalty than the actual franchise itself.

Eddie

Reaction score
If the team changed cities, moved out of Texas, but kept the uniforms, history, and team name ... then I would continue to follow them.

But if they pulled a Houston Oilers ... then see ya.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Let me help the OP out: the Giants, steelers, Cowboys, Commanders, will never ever move.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let me help the OP out: the Giants, steelers, Cowboys, Commanders, will never ever move.
Guess I'll never end up releasing that sample of the t-virus. sigh. My dream for Pittsburgh and D.C. becoming Raccoon City A and Raccoon City B turns to dust. :(

:p

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I only support home teams that I have a local or state affiliation with. I don't get why most people here are Cowboys fans since they have no local or state affiliation with them.
I will never support for any team outside of Texas. If the Cowboys move out of state I would be finished with them.
At least I know my two favorite college teams will never move. The Longhorns and the Horned Frogs.
And why College Football represents the true spirit of competition and tradition of the game.

It revolves around local and alumni support . They continue to play in stadiums your parents and grandparents attended on the most part not driven by revenue alone with sponsorship not the driving force supported more by alumni donations.

Professional sports are stricktly an entertainment business which thrive on their local area business and citizens support to fill their stadiums who buy their merchandise while also burdening their taxpayers and municipalities.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The greed of NFL and their owners is a travesty on the local fans who have supported for decades or a lifetime.

Fans couldn't really care what stadium their favorite teams play in. I'm sure we'd love our Cowboys if they still played in the Cotton Bowl.

Our owners and players simply wouldn't be as wealthy and it wouldn't cost as much to attend a game. You'd still have TV broadcast.

The NFL could forbid teams from moving. If the owners weren't happy in their city they could sell the team and then either attempt to buy another team or begin a new franchise in another city.

These owners only move to greener pastures because they can.

LittleLexodus

Reaction score
They'll never move in my lifetime..

hqdefault.jpg

But if they did for some strange reason my fandom would follow.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
It'd be like the Yankees leaving New York or the Lakers leaving LA or the Red Wings leaving Detroit.

Typically, marquee franchises don't move (plus AT&T stadium and the Star are big components in the team's worth).

Highly, highly, highly unlikely, but if they left DFW, they'd rip my heart right out and I'd be done forever.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
It'd be like the Yankees leaving New York or the Lakers leaving LA or the Red Wings leaving Detroit.

Typically, marquee franchises don't move (plus AT&T stadium and the Star are big components in the team's worth).

Highly, highly, highly unlikely, but if they left DFW, they'd rip my heart right out and I'd be done forever.

I don't think it's the same exactly.

It's not Texas Cowboys.

The Yankees are The New York Yankees.

The lakers already left Minnesota.... back in the day...

Detroit i agree.