What if we had resigned Gregory and reworked Cooper's contract?

visionary

Reaction score
Just wondering how different everybody’s opinion would be right now if we resigned Gregory and reworked Cooper’s deal to go along with what we have done in free agency? Seems like 2 huge holes could have been filled easily while still adding some young talent to this roster in the draft. I feel like the optimism would be 100% increased right about now.

No difference IMO
band aids until we build the lines and get a real QB

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Rams got unquestionably worse, Buccs are worse, Packers certainly are worse. You basically are making my argument for me.
But we were always going to be worse in 2021 with $21m to make up just to get CAP parity.
Bringing back Gregory and restructuring Coop may of given us a one year shot (though we would of lost and unable to improve at: S, LB and Gallup) And how do you sign the draftees?
So keep Gregory and Coop, still get worse and then in 2022 we'd really be in CAP Hell.
This way we've reset, with an ability to sign longer term FA's, some in 2023 (if spread out) and definately in 2024.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Just wondering how different everybody’s opinion would be right now if we resigned Gregory and reworked Cooper’s deal to go along with what we have done in free agency? Seems like 2 huge holes could have been filled easily while still adding some young talent to this roster in the draft. I feel like the optimism would be 100% increased right about now.
We were there last year and it wasn’t enough. Defense and oline need improvement and dumping a 22 million dollar wr we don’t need and using that in other areas was the obvious move.

most of these chumps on here have no idea what they are talking about and most think in one year short term thinking. Which is not how you run a team.

this is about building a contender and winning one in the next few years. Not next year.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Another way to look at it......

What's been our biggest problem as a team?

Underachieving.

Is it not fair to put Cooper and Collins on the list of players that did exactly the same?

The more complex argument is WHY those guys (and many others) end up as complacent without having won a thing...or even close....but I'm pretty sure that's been covered in great depth around here.

31RoyW31

Reaction score
WRs tend to fade quickly, look at Michael Thomas, OBJ, Julio, all of them were top receivers just a few seasons ago, and Cooper wasn't even as good as any of them. Wise decision to look for help elsewhere.

Gregory singlehandedly cost is the Niners game, dude was tackling offensive linemen after the whistle on a 3rd down. His indiscipline should not be rewarded. If anything I'd say the team is in a better position, Lamb, Gallup and Washington are great weapons, and if we draft somebody to replace Wilson then all is good!

I don't think Gregory is the type of person that can handle high pressure situations well. Now maybe he could improve with more experience, but he really was out of it in the playoffs. He got called a few times for lining up in the neutral zone, but it could have been called ten or more times, he just kept doing it. High potential guy, but shows all the signs of never living up to it. Seems like a dumb player and dumb players seem to hurt you at the worst possible time. The exact opposite of a guy like Parsons who already understands how not to get a penalty on a sack.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Lol people are already trying to sell 2023 shows how bad the offseason has been

But we were always going to be worse in 2021 with $21m to make up just to get CAP parity.
Bringing back Gregory and restructuring Coop may of given us a one year shot (though we would of lost and unable to improve at: S, LB and Gallup) And how do you sign the draftees?
So keep Gregory and Coop, still get worse and then in 2022 we'd really be in CAP Hell.
This way we've reset, with an ability to sign longer term FA's, some in 2023 (if spread out) and definately in 2024.

The Cowboys have the second most cap space in the league. Restructuring Cooper would have made his cap hit basically the same as Gallup for this year. The Cowboys have more than enough for Gregory and the draft class. Ideally they would have been able to address lb and safety in the draft. Now they have to also address wr and edge. And that is without and additional money moved around.

The Saints have been restructuring for about 10 years before the bill finally came due. I thought when Dak signed this deal we were gonna load for four years and if it didn't pan out we would rebuild. Instead the Cowboys are pinching pennies and expecting to outpace people who have all their chips on the table.

Last edited:

75boyz

Reaction score
This question is easy. Plan A was to roll with the same team that wasn't good enough, but Cooper hurt Dak's feelings, and Gregory swerved. We wouldn't have been good enough under plan A, but now we are even worse. And there was never a plan to actually improve through FA, as we are seeing. We'd rather miss the playoffs altogether and stick to the every-other-year playoff plan.

So yeah, we would have complained either way.

So true.
I laughed pretty good bro. Appreciate ya.

Adreme

Reaction score

Except you aren’t in cap hell at that point. You aren’t even in cap annoyance at that point. Just a few restructures from being players in FA again next year.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Except you aren’t in cap hell at that point. You aren’t even in cap annoyance at that point. Just a few restructures from being players in FA again next year.

Well if CAP Hell isnt a scenario where you lose: WR1 starting DE and RT then i dont know what is.

Cebrin

Reaction score
They wanted him gone. That's why he's not here.

Adreme

Reaction score
Well if CAP Hell isnt a scenario where you lose: WR1 starting DE and RT then i dont know what is.

The problem is they easily could have kept all those players and signed all their upcoming players and been players in free agency. We know this because we know how much cap space they can make and we see teams do this every year. They decided to part with WR1 and the starting RT and got cute with their starting DE. It was not because of the cap; it was because they made a choice to do it that way.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The problem is they easily could have kept all those players and signed all their upcoming players and been players in free agency. We know this because we know how much cap space they can make and we see teams do this every year. They decided to part with WR1 and the starting RT and got cute with their starting DE. It was not because of the cap; it was because they made a choice to do it that way.

Wow, just wow....there's opinions, there's denial and then there's just outright ignorance.

Stop guessing and go and listen to any commentator or analyst on our CAP position.....just because you deny it, doesnt mean it's not there.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The Cowboys have been in a self-imposed “cap hell” for ten years lol

It's based on the strategy of signing all of 'our guys' to extensions, whether they deserve it or not. Due to the continued restructured money we're forced to do it at the last minute, when the urgency means the cost is highest. We see restructuring contracts as the basis of CAP management, however, at certain pinch points (like and '23) we're left with a lot of: high priced, under performing and injury ridden contracts.

Adreme

Reaction score
Wow, just wow....there's opinions, there's denial and then there's just outright ignorance.

Stop guessing and go and listen to any commentator or analyst on our CAP position.....just because you deny it, doesnt mean it's not there.

I have listened to analysts on the cap position and they say exactly what I am telling you now. I have heard it broken down contract by contract to demonstrate the cap space available for each move and alternatives available to create more if the Cowboys needed and in both cases they had a lot available. I do not know who you got your information from but whoever told you the Cowboys have cap problems lied to you. There is no other way to put it. It is a provably false and untrue statement. They have the cap space and the means to create more; they are choosing not to use it.

birdwells1

Reaction score
By trading Cooper and not signing Gregory.
They were able to sign 3 FA’s as well keep a core group of around 6 to 8 of their own FAs for depth. Plus Gallup. Plus sign Schultz to his tag.

That is around 10 or so player vs. 2 players.

I think they did well. Plus they still have a lot of cap room left, and will get $10 million more for the rookies draft come June 1st from Collins. A player that has not given anything much over the past 2 years.
Spoken like a true accountant.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Didnt the 2021 team show that it wasn't good enough for a SB? Coop not worth $22m and Gregory disappeared second half of the season.....oh and we needed a rest on the CAP, rather than kick it down the alley.
spot on
we got rid of the players that were oft inured suspended and or overpaid and mmany here wanted them gone

LC
AC
Gregory
add in Cwill
Zuerlein not fan faves and all last year wanted them gone.so now that the jonses have done this all of a sudden, its a bad off season only so Jonses hate fan clubs can whine..they were the right moves.

Ced.Wilson maybe was surprise given we traded ac away but Washington more then fills his spot.

Lamb and gallup will along with schultz and others will fill-in the lost production by AC and we haven't hit the draft yet
Grogory well Armstrong with more snails alone might replace Gregory's production as its not that impressive and the both were nearly identical last eyar,

add Fowler in and id say losing Gregory not huge deal.he has twice the career numbers in one less year then Gregory.

now for the draft and then fill in with left over FAs many still out there.

blueblood70

Reaction score
IDC not at all in my opinion they were solid moves time to move on..

we got rid of the players that were oft inured suspended and or overpaid and mmany here wanted them gone

LC
AC
Gregory
add in Cwill
Zuerlein not fan faves and all last year wanted them gone.so now that the jonses have done this all of a sudden, its a bad off season only so Jonses hate fan clubs can whine..they were the right moves.

Ced.Wilson maybe was surprise given we traded ac away but Washington more then fills his spot.

Lamb and gallup will along with schultz and others will fill-in the lost production by AC and we haven't hit the draft yet
Grogory well Armstrong with more snails alone might replace Gregory's production as its not that impressive and the both were nearly identical last eyar,

add Fowler in and id say losing Gregory not huge deal.he has twice the career numbers in one less year then Gregory.

now for the draft and then fill in with left over FAs many still out there.