What is Earl Thomas Now Really?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Earl Thomas is enough of a factor to assume that he will put us over the hump. He could be an impactful player for a time. But safety isn't like QB.

I'm not sure about that. Guys like Woodson, Reed, and Thomas himself have been "QB's "of some pretty successful defenses, defenses good enough to win it all.

But we agree that it comes down to believing whether or not Thomas is that one piece that make sure the difference between winning it all or not.

Jipper

Reaction score
he IS a Seahawk...and hes going to stay that way.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's reasonable assuming they think he can play play three years which is a reasonable risk. The other side of that coin it would you rather have ET, or Hankins/Poe. Both would have been cheaper and more impactful on this defense.

Maybe, but it's abundantly clear that the people in the building don't. I disagree with them but that ship has sailed. This one hasn't.

If we saved the money from Poe and Hankins, I don't know why we would spend it in ET. It harken back to the Jerry days of old and the old way of doing business, paying for names past their prime. I really prefer the current way we are handling things. Let's don't go backward.

I can see your point. But I can also see a window currently open due to having a cheap quarterback. One soon to be closed.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He could. He might. He might also fall off a cliff next year. No one really knows.

Do you think he will be playing as good or better than he is now in 4 years? I don't. The smart money is betting against it.

That doesn't mean that he won't be useful, but will he be worth his contract number? Thats the $64,000 question.

His prime years may be coming to an end but Earl Thomas out of his prime is still a top guy and the state of NFL safeties is nothing special.

The smart money has got us nowhere BTW.. Signing another teams guy for big money is OK to do.

I know it's frowned upon in Dallas and we love our smart deals but Denver, Philadelphia, and New England have shown that it's ok to open up the wallet.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I really prefer we don't make the trade. I think it would look OK for two years and then we would regret it after that.

Just put the guaranteed money up front in the contract.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His prime years may be coming to an end but Earl Thomas out of his prime is still a top guy and the state of NFL safeties is nothing special.

The smart money has got us nowhere BTW.. Signing another teams guy for big money is OK to do.

I know it's frowned upon in Dallas and we love our smart deals but Denver, Philadelphia, and New England have shown that it's ok to open up the wallet.

We have a window right now that no one else does. In terms of the lowest starting quarterback contract in the league. The question is, do you use that opportunity or not?

Teams like the Rams and Eagles are making full use of theirs. If we hope to compete with those teams, we may have to do the same.

John813

Reaction score
The value of this trade for the Cowboys is totally dependent on when Thomas falls off the cliff athletically. It's coming. The question is when. Seattle knows more about him than we do and they want no part of an extension. Buyer beware.

FWIW his secondary coach is here. He should have a good idea what Thomas has left in the tank.

Not saying that in support of bringing over Thomas, but just saying the guy who coached him the last handful of years is here now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't think Earl Thomas is enough of a factor to assume that he will put us over the hump. He could be an impactful player for a time. But safety isn't like QB.

safeties are not paid like QB so that is moot. safety play I feel is quite important and have seen when this franchise has had pro bowl caliber safeties and they make a big difference. I think Thomas has enough left in the tank to come in and help any team out there. I think Cowboys should stand their ground in terms of compensation they have offered to the seahawks but I do hope in the end Thomas ends up in Dallas. I think he would be a big help to this defensive unit

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We have a window right now that no one else does. In terms of the lowest starting quarterback contract in the league. The question is, do you use that opportunity or not?

Teams like the Rams and Eagles are making full use of theirs. If we hope to compete with those teams, we may have to do the same.

We will most likely not.

Our team is conservative to a fault in Free Agency.

2014 & 2016 could've been different if they had done anything in the offseason defensively.

But their "we like our guys" mentality had Rodgers smiling against us in the playoffs.

Instead they just kept drafting and finally after 4 years the defense they were building MIGHT finally be here but they could have aided the defense a long time ago and not spent 4 years trying to build it while we suffered season after season.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I'm going to play the Devils Advocate.
1. He's X times better anyone on the Roster.
2. He's X times better than any Safety going in the 2-7 rounds next year.
3. If you use a 3rd on him and he leaves Dallas next year you get a comp pick back for him.
4. Give him a 4 year contract, front load it and cut him if his production slides or gets hurt.
5. I don't think the NFC has a clear cut favorite. Why not sign him and Bowman and Maybe a TE and make a run now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We will most likely not.

Our team is conservative to a fault in Free Agency.

2014 & 2016 could've been different if they had done anything in the offseason defensively.

But their "we like our guys" mentality had Rodgers smiling against us in the playoffs.

Instead they just kept drafting and finally after 4 years the defense they were building MIGHT finally be here but they could have aided the defense a long time ago and not spent 4 years trying to build it while we suffered season after season.

While that may be true to some degree, they also did not have the cap flexibility they now enjoy. Romo's contract, along with Dez's were among the tops for their positions. Even this year, they're still taking big hits for both.

While I can question some dumb free agency moves (Nolan Carroll, Cedric Thornton), I can also acknowledge that they didn't have the flexibility to be big players in free agency.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm going to play the Devils Advocate.
1. He's X times better anyone on the Roster.
2. He's X times better than any Safety going in the 2-7 rounds next year.
3. If you use a 3rd on him and he leaves Dallas next year you get a comp pick back for him.
4. Give him a 4 year contract, front load it and cut him if his production slides or gets hurt.
5. I don't think the NFC has a clear cut favorite. Why not sign him and Bowman and Maybe a TE and make a run now.

3. If you don't give him the extension, he's not happy playing for you either. That's not a viable option.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
We all know who Earl Thomas WAS during the prior part of his career, but what exactly is Earl Thomas now, and what is the current Earl Thomas worth?

I know many of you are wanting Earl Thomas to be a member of this Cowboys team, but you have to be careful what you wish for, because sometime you get it and wish you didn't have it.

Earl This as was arguably the best safety in the NFL, but Earl Thomas is OLD by NFL standards. He has also been recently injured.
He may be an improvement over what we currently have, but how much of an improvement, for how long, and at what price to the cap.

I am guessing the draft pick compensation will be a third round pick, give or take plus Thomas will want to "get paid". Seattle seems to desperately want to get rid of him. Why aren't any other teams besides the Cowboys beating down his door to bring him aboard?

Thomas may justify a trade this year to the Cowboys, but what about next year, or the year after, or the year after that? The odds of Thomas seeing the final year of his deal, even if it's just four years total is very slim.

Personally i would keep the picks and the cap room unless Thomas gave us a deal commensurate with what he is NOW and will be going forward. For years from now he won't be 80 percent of the player he is now, so any salary needs to take that into account.

The value of this trade for the Cowboys is totally dependent on when Thomas falls off the cliff athletically. It's coming. The question is when. Seattle knows more about him than we do and they want no part of an extension. Buyer beware.
Agree with everything except being the bets S at one time. Top five for sure but best not so sure. Good post though V.

Verdict

Reaction score
safeties are not paid like QB so that is moot. safety play I feel is quite important and have seen when this franchise has had pro bowl caliber safeties and they make a big difference. I think Thomas has enough left in the tank to come in and help any team out there. I think Cowboys should stand their ground in terms of compensation they have offered to the seahawks but I do hope in the end Thomas ends up in Dallas. I think he would be a big help to this defensive unit

I'm saying that a safety probably would not have as big of an impact as changing QBs. Surely you don't disagree with that point. If so, ok, but wow.

The issue isn't whether he can help us or improve the team. He has value.

The bigger question is how long can he perform at a high level and is he worth the draft pick compensation and the cap hit. That's where the rubber meets the road.