What is Earl Thomas Now Really?

Rayman70

Reaction score
This attitude is why we remain in purgatory. There is a happy medium, and it lies right here where we are currently. We’ve let guys walk, we’ve made tough cuts, we’ve remained disciplined in FA, and it all leads to a road where an all time great, at a position of consistent need is available, fits like a glove, wants to play here, AND we can afford it. He’s Sean Lee in the secondary, can still play at an elite level, and qb a young, hungry secondary. He’s physical, smart, has ball skills, plays the run well, and has championship pedigree. But yeah I’d rather save the money to sign the Carroll’s, Moore’s, Thornton’s and paea’s of the world.
honestly..YOUR WRONG. We are in purgatory no more btw. Right now what we are is green. VERY YOUNG. In this case signing Earl Thomas would basically give is a coach on the field on the back end. Are you convinced Woods and or Heath are going to play at a high level? Me thinks not. Woods isn't ready for prime time just yet. He's too green. ET would be able to mentor him..not too mention he would be our best safety we have had since Woody was here. If we can get him for a conditional 3rd,I'm for that.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Probably the best center field safety in the NFL?

Undoubtedly the best single high safety of the last 5 years?

I could see an argument being made for a 2 being too rich, but anything less would be an absolute steal.

Proof

Reaction score
honestly..YOUR WRONG. We are in purgatory no more btw. Right now what we are is green. VERY YOUNG. In this case signing Earl Thomas would basically give is a coach on the field on the back end. Are you convinced Woods and or Heath are going to play at a high level? Me thinks not. Woods isn't ready for prime time just yet. He's too green. ET would be able to mentor him..not too mention he would be our best safety we have had since Woody was here. If we can get him for a conditional 3rd,I'm for that.

We’re definitely still in purgatory as we’re still in the midst of a 20+ yr drought and fresh off of missing the playoffs. We’ve done well rebuilding on the fly, but other than the Seahawks and packers there aren’t many examples of the promise land coming solely through the draft, and one of them has arguably the greatest qb in league history and only one title to show for it. Recent history rewards smart drafting coupled with impact moves in FA.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
you know whats even more funny? All you out there that have been trying to push this agenda on us for months and months when the only thing you have to go on is that he is a cowboys fan and hes holding out.

He is under contract with seattle for this year, if he walks next year and gets a decent contract he will net them a 4th or a 3rd compensatory pick. Dallas has shown that they wont give up a 3rd and seattle holds all the cards because 1) hes under contract and 2) they know that anything less than a 3/4 round pick will be less than what they will get if they wait it out.

So again, this is dumb and he will stay a seahawk.

This isn't directed towards you, so dont take it that way but I want to clarify one thing for the sake of the ET discussion.

Given positional value and historical evidence, ET3 will not bring back a 3rd round comp for whichever team lets him walk, it'll be on the 4th/5th round bubble, but likely land as a top half 4th assuming his value doesnt bomb after this season.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Purgatory isn't the right term. Inconsistent IS. Is this the players or coaching? OR BOTH? Or could it be parity? Think about how the league is designed. Its set up to allow no teams be repeat SB winners.Its very hard to do in this current system .Dynasties are fading and have been for a long while.Its the "every team gets a trophy" kinda thing. lol... So if any of us are expecting a 90's type run for this version of the cowboys, your setting yourself up to be disappointed. At this point if we can get to and win just 1 SB that would be one helluva achievement in the current league set up.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I would trade a 3rd for him this instant if that is all it would take. That would give us an elite player at all levels of the D. He would be a coach on the field for the young DBs we have and a great mentor for those young safeties. To me it's not even a question, for a 3rd, do it and do it now and let's get this party started.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Look at NASCAR. Its all restricter plate racing. Every car is alike. Its all cookie cutter. That's what the NFL wants. THATS A PROBLEM.

Verdict

Reaction score
This attitude is why we remain in purgatory. There is a happy medium, and it lies right here where we are currently. We’ve let guys walk, we’ve made tough cuts, we’ve remained disciplined in FA, and it all leads to a road where an all time great, at a position of consistent need is available, fits like a glove, wants to play here, AND we can afford it. He’s Sean Lee in the secondary, can still play at an elite level, and qb a young, hungry secondary. He’s physical, smart, has ball skills, plays the run well, and has championship pedigree. But yeah I’d rather save the money to sign the Carroll’s, Moore’s, Thornton’s and paea’s of the world.

He would have been Sean Lee in the secondary over the past 5 years. There is no guarantee he will be that over the next few years.

Sean Lee has been all that and a bag of chips, but we know Sean Lee, while still good, has a short time left. Could Sean Lee perform at a high level for four or five more years? Yeah. But it's not likely. The smart money is betting against that.

So if you were bringing in Sean Lee you better not pay out the *** for him and then complain when his dead money eats up a huge portion of your cap on down the road.

All of this Earl Thomas nonsense reminds me eerily of the idiotic "pay the man" posts over Dez when he signed his contract. The same people who were saying that later complained because we didn't have the money to do more productive things. People who do that are simpletons. It's not that hard to realize that every player is and has an opportunity cost.

Verdict

Reaction score
I would trade a 3rd for him this instant if that is all it would take. That would give us an elite player at all levels of the D. He would be a coach on the field for the young DBs we have and a great mentor for those young safeties. To me it's not even a question, for a 3rd, do it and do it now and let's get this party started.
Yeah. You wouldn't care about the cap cost and pay him whatever he wanted and then wonder why you don't have enough money to buy nice things. Lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Probably the best center field safety in the NFL?

Undoubtedly the best single high safety of the last 5 years?

I could see an argument being made for a 2 being too rich, but anything less would be an absolute steal.

I agree. As long as the "stealing" doesn't include him demanding $13 million a year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This isn't directed towards you, so dont take it that way but I want to clarify one thing for the sake of the ET discussion.

Given positional value and historical evidence, ET3 will not bring back a 3rd round comp for whichever team lets him walk, it'll be on the 4th/5th round bubble, but likely land as a top half 4th assuming his value doesnt bomb after this season.

And it will also be offset by anything a rebuilding Seattle team does in free agency. Nothing is guaranteed.

Verdict

Reaction score

Actually the reverse is true. We have been in purgatory because we paid a mental midget who did nothing for us for three full years top 5 money. We also paid Witten to pad his stats for the last 5 years as well.

It's funny how badly people want to piss off salary cap. I'm all for getting ET. I'm not for jacking up our cap for the next five years over him. There is a huge difference between the two.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually the reverse is true. We have been in purgatory because we paid a mental midget who did nothing for us for three full years top 5 money. We also paid Witten to pad his stats for the last 5 years as well.

It's funny how badly people want to piss off salary cap. I'm all for getting ET. I'm not for jacking up our cap for the next five years over him. There is a huge difference between the two.

I don't see how you could "jack up our cap for the next five years over him".

Worst case? Two years, if he completely falls off a cliff physically. Worst case.

Verdict

Reaction score

Quite honestly, the best argument for bringing ET in is Heath. Heath has OUTSTANDING measurables. ET may be able to help Heath take his game to a new level.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
And it will also be offset by anything a rebuilding Seattle team does in free agency. Nothing is guaranteed.

Correct. It could easily be negated.

Just like our Hitchens comp can be negated if one of our applicable FA losses was to be cut in camp.