What is Earl Thomas Now Really?

Jipper

Reaction score
Always funny when someone tried to talk like they know something for a fact. Thanks for the laugh.

:lmao:

you know whats even more funny? All you out there that have been trying to push this agenda on us for months and months when the only thing you have to go on is that he is a cowboys fan and hes holding out.

He is under contract with seattle for this year, if he walks next year and gets a decent contract he will net them a 4th or a 3rd compensatory pick. Dallas has shown that they wont give up a 3rd and seattle holds all the cards because 1) hes under contract and 2) they know that anything less than a 3/4 round pick will be less than what they will get if they wait it out.

So again, this is dumb and he will stay a seahawk.

Jipper

Reaction score
They better sign him then...

They are in a rebuild and I don't see how he is apart of their future.

well i don't disagree at all with that....but hes under contract for this year and it sounds like seattle is sticking to its guns..

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm saying that a safety probably would not have as big of an impact as changing QBs. Surely you don't disagree with that point. If so, ok, but wow.

The issue isn't whether he can help us or improve the team. He has value.

The bigger question is how long can he perform at a high level and is he worth the draft pick compensation and the cap hit. That's where the rubber meets the road.

Not the same impact, then again the impact the QB makes in on offense. FS makes a big difference in that they are pretty much the QB of the secondary just as Darren Woodson made a tremendous impact in the Cowboys secondary. As for how long he can play and be an impact player? Always hard to know with any player. he missed some time in 2016 with a broken leg but rebounded in 2017 prior to that had not missed a game.

Verdict

Reaction score
Some posters on this board are the most knowledgeable, reasonable people I know and others not so much. Lol. This isn't madden people.

The salary cap is intended to promote parity between teams, and it has definitely accomplished that task, with a few notable exceptions. When you spend a salary cap dollar on a player you CANNOT spend that same dollar on someone else.

So every player acquired must be analyzed through a cost benefit analysis. For instance in a perfect world we would have kept our linebacker who went to Kansas City. We chose to let him walk rather than pay him the cap dollars his contract would have consumed. These are real world decisions that have to be made.

Football decisions must also take into account cap impact. We have operated in the "we are one player away from a super bowl" for the better part of the time since 1995 since we won our last super bowl and paid for "names" and the results were putrid.

For the past several years we have operated in a much more responsible manner and at the same time, improved the team overall. That allows the "super bowl window" to stay open.

I haven't enjoyed not winning a super bowl since 1995 any more than any of you. On the other hand I really like the prospect of having an open super bowl window every year going forward.

I am not sure why some of you who have *****ed and whined incessantly over the past 23 years want so desperately to return to the old way of doing things. Thank goodness Steven has more influence now than he did in the earlier years.

Garrett is part of the new culture, as is McClay. I'm ok with bringing Thomas on at the right price, but I'm hell bent against a ****** deal that sets us back any amount.

John813

Reaction score
you know whats even more funny? All you out there that have been trying to push this agenda on us for months and months when the only thing you have to go on is that he is a cowboys fan and hes holding out.

He is under contract with seattle for this year, if he walks next year and gets a decent contract he will net them a 4th or a 3rd compensatory pick. Dallas has shown that they wont give up a 3rd and seattle holds all the cards because 1) hes under contract and 2) they know that anything less than a 3/4 round pick will be less than what they will get if they wait it out.

Dallas has shown they would give up a 3rd. They offered the 3rd before Seattle never responded back and we took Gallup.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...s-but-cowboys-drafted-connor-williams-instead

It was the 2nd that we wouldn't budge on, after seeing Williams would be available.

Seattle does hold the cards but if Earl is truly stubborn enough he can hold out till week 9/10 and still have that season count. Seattle doesn't however have to trade him to us.

Verdict

Reaction score
Not the same impact, then again the impact the QB makes in on offense. FS makes a big difference in that they are pretty much the QB of the secondary just as Darren Woodson made a tremendous impact in the Cowboys secondary. As for how long he can play and be an impact player? Always hard to know with any player. he missed some time in 2016 with a broken leg but rebounded in 2017 prior to that had not missed a game.

I get it. I also "get" that's Seattle, who knows him better than we do, isn't wanting to give him a new contract. I realize Seattle is retooling a little bit on defense. But if Seattle believes Thomas would be one of the best safeties in the NFL for four or five more years they would be trying to keep him around. It won't take 4 or 5 years for Seattle to rebuild with as much emphasis as they put on drafting defense.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My thing is the cowboys need to do something soon or stop dallying around with him. If he's going to help the 2018 cowboys , he needs to get into camp ASAP.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I get it. I also "get" that's Seattle, who knows him better than we do, isn't wanting to give him a new contract. I realize Seattle is retooling a little bit on defense. But if Seattle believes Thomas would be one of the best safeties in the NFL for four or five more years they would be trying to keep him around. It won't take 4 or 5 years for Seattle to rebuild with as much emphasis as they put on drafting defense.

which is why Seattle has said they want a 1st and 3rd for him. It is not as if they are planning on giving him away. Granted I would not give up a 1st rd pick for him, I have said the max would be a 2nd. Now if Dallas can get him in with a 3 or 4 year deal I would gladly do it.

Verdict

Reaction score
Dallas has shown they would give up a 3rd. They offered the 3rd before Seattle never responded back and we took Gallup.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...s-but-cowboys-drafted-connor-williams-instead

It was the 2nd that we wouldn't budge on, after seeing Williams would be available.

Seattle does hold the cards but if Earl is truly stubborn enough he can hold out till week 9/10 and still have that season count. Seattle doesn't however have to trade him to us.

Seattle can hold his feet to the fire, but depending on compensation, Seattle is being put under more pressure as time goes on to move him. If he was a no name player it wouldn't matter as much, but the longer this goes on the worse it gets for Seattle.

erod

Reaction score
He's vastly better than the three we currently have. That's all you really need to know.

I think he's elite for 3 more years at least.

John813

Reaction score
Seattle can hold his feet to the fire, but depending on compensation, Seattle is being put under more pressure as time goes on to move him. If he was a no name player it wouldn't matter as much, but the longer this goes on the worse it gets for Seattle.

I agree. It's going to bring the same ole questions every week to the coaches and players. Not a good lockerroom distraction to deal with.
He seems set on his demands so, it's up to Seattle to do something. I've always guessed he goes to an AFC team. Doubt he'll be hurt that much not playing for the Cowboys as long as he gets that last big deal.

Verdict

Reaction score
which is why Seattle has said they want a 1st and 3rd for him. It is not as if they are planning on giving him away. Granted I would not give up a 1st rd pick for him, I have said the max would be a 2nd. Now if Dallas can get him in with a 3 or 4 year deal I would gladly do it.

Seattle would have accepted a second based on reports. We took Connor Williams instead.

Seattle wants to not only move ET for the draft pick they want to get his salary this year off their books. As time goes on, teams are going to be willing to offer LESS for ET because he will have to integrate into his new team's defense. The next week is critical.

If Thomas doesn't move in next week then the bottom is going to fall out of the market for him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He's vastly better than the three we currently have. That's all you really need to know.

I think he's elite for 3 more years at least.

I agree. I would add that this would be the perfect situation for him. He could rejoin Richard and really help get these younger guys up to speed much quicker. A guy like Thomas would be like having a coach on the field and his own play is still very good

Cowboys22

Reaction score

There are factors you are leaving out. The comp pick they will receive will be in two years. Any pick received via trade will be in next year’s draft which makes it much more desirable. Second, in order to receive that comp pick they will have to refrain from signing any good free agents to substantial contracts. Why would a semi-rebuilding team want to limit their free agent activity during the offseason in two years? That is right when they should be hoping to make substantial moves to rebuild.

There is no doubt Seattle holds the main card because they simply can do nothing. However, it makes little sense for them to do that if ET continues to stay away. ET also holds a fairly powerful hand as well because he can hold out until week 10 and then come in and be a disruptive influence. He also can refuse to negotiate a new deal with any team he doesn’t want to finish his career with. Doing that would make any trade to that team nearly impossible. Dallas is very smart to wait this out. ET doesn’t need camp to be ready to play in Richard’s system and they get an extended look at their current safeties. To say this topic is dumb is being very short sighted. A trade to Dallas makes too much sense for both teams and the player. In my opinion, I would say the odds of it happening are now around 60% and rising each day he holds out and Dallas doesn’t bring in another legitimate safety.

erod

Reaction score
I agree. I would add that this would be the perfect situation for him. He could rejoin Richard and really help get these younger guys up to speed much quicker. A guy like Thomas would be like having a coach on the field and his own play is still very good

Lee running the front and Thomas running the back. With a lot of good, young talent. That could be the best defense we've seen in a long, long time around here.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
My thing is the cowboys need to do something soon or stop dallying around with him. If he's going to help the 2018 cowboys , he needs to get into camp ASAP.

No he doesn’t. He knows everything about Richard’s system.

Proof

Reaction score
Charles Woodsaon and Ed Reed come to mind. Both were Pro Bowlers at the top of their game well into their 30's.
Some posters on this board are the most knowledgeable, reasonable people I know and others not so much. Lol. This isn't madden people.

The salary cap is intended to promote parity between teams, and it has definitely accomplished that task, with a few notable exceptions. When you spend a salary cap dollar on a player you CANNOT spend that same dollar on someone else.

So every player acquired must be analyzed through a cost benefit analysis. For instance in a perfect world we would have kept our linebacker who went to Kansas City. We chose to let him walk rather than pay him the cap dollars his contract would have consumed. These are real world decisions that have to be made.

Football decisions must also take into account cap impact. We have operated in the "we are one player away from a super bowl" for the better part of the time since 1995 since we won our last super bowl and paid for "names" and the results were putrid.

For the past several years we have operated in a much more responsible manner and at the same time, improved the team overall. That allows the "super bowl window" to stay open.

I haven't enjoyed not winning a super bowl since 1995 any more than any of you. On the other hand I really like the prospect of having an open super bowl window every year going forward.

I am not sure why some of you who have *****ed and whined incessantly over the past 23 years want so desperately to return to the old way of doing things. Thank goodness Steven has more influence now than he did in the earlier years.

Garrett is part of the new culture, as is McClay. I'm ok with bringing Thomas on at the right price, but I'm hell bent against a ****ty deal that sets us back any amount.

This attitude is why we remain in purgatory. There is a happy medium, and it lies right here where we are currently. We’ve let guys walk, we’ve made tough cuts, we’ve remained disciplined in FA, and it all leads to a road where an all time great, at a position of consistent need is available, fits like a glove, wants to play here, AND we can afford it. He’s Sean Lee in the secondary, can still play at an elite level, and qb a young, hungry secondary. He’s physical, smart, has ball skills, plays the run well, and has championship pedigree. But yeah I’d rather save the money to sign the Carroll’s, Moore’s, Thornton’s and paea’s of the world.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We all know who Earl Thomas WAS during the prior part of his career, but what exactly is Earl Thomas now, and what is the current Earl Thomas worth?

I know many of you are wanting Earl Thomas to be a member of this Cowboys team, but you have to be careful what you wish for, because sometime you get it and wish you didn't have it.

Earl This as was arguably the best safety in the NFL, but Earl Thomas is OLD by NFL standards. He has also been recently injured.
He may be an improvement over what we currently have, but how much of an improvement, for how long, and at what price to the cap.

I am guessing the draft pick compensation will be a third round pick, give or take plus Thomas will want to "get paid". Seattle seems to desperately want to get rid of him. Why aren't any other teams besides the Cowboys beating down his door to bring him aboard?

Thomas may justify a trade this year to the Cowboys, but what about next year, or the year after, or the year after that? The odds of Thomas seeing the final year of his deal, even if it's just four years total is very slim.

Personally i would keep the picks and the cap room unless Thomas gave us a deal commensurate with what he is NOW and will be going forward. For years from now he won't be 80 percent of the player he is now, so any salary needs to take that into account.

The value of this trade for the Cowboys is totally dependent on when Thomas falls off the cliff athletically. It's coming. The question is when. Seattle knows more about him than we do and they want no part of an extension. Buyer beware.

I know he has had a few injuries lately but I think a lot of ppl dont realize Earl made the all-pro team last season. He is still elite and will be for several more years.

Rayman70

Reaction score
What is he now? BETTER THAN WHAT WE HAVE RIGHT NOW ON OUR ROSTER...AND PROVEN....AND A LEADER. That good enough? lol..But that said, I think realistically he can play at an elite level 2 more years,therefore I wouldn't give up ANYTHING more than a conditional 3rd rounder for him.