What is everyone's thoughts on the iPhone 5?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
5Stars;4727654 said:
I'll probably use it for texting because I can just speak into the phone rather than using a keypad.

But, I read up on Siri and it seems to have some good features like GPS.

"Where can I get some tacos around where I live"?

"Taco Bell.."

:laugh2:
Most often I use it for setting a timer when grilling. If I'm standing over a grill and want to set it for 15 minutes, I just hit the button and say "set timer for 15 minutes". In 15 minutes my alarm goes off and I go flip what's on the grill.

I like the Open Table integration in iOS 6. I could say "get a reservation at Americas for 7:00" and boom.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I have been waiting for this iPhone since iphone3.

Just seems off.

I may still get it but I think apple made a mistake. It just looks wrong.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
theogt;4727657 said:
Most often I use it for setting a timer when grilling. If I'm standing over a grill and want to set it for 15 minutes, I just hit the button and say "set timer for 15 minutes". In 15 minutes my alarm goes off and I go flip what's on the grill.

I like the Open Table integration in iOS 6. I could say "get a reservation at Americas for 7:00" and boom.

Jeez. What are you grilling for 15 minutes per side?

Charred beef?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4728032 said:
Jeez. What are you grilling for 15 minutes per side?

Charred beef?
There are lots of things you can grill for that or much longer. But I just picked a number for purposes of the example. How long you grill really just depends on how hot you're grilling. I typically grill ribeyes in the 15-20 oz range and grill them from 7-10 minutes on each side. That's usually good for medium rare and a hint of charring on the outside.

Wait, isn't this an iPhone thread?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;4727517 said:
Uh...what?

http://img585.*************/img585/7953/xlargex.jpg

http://img812.*************/img812/9424/iphone5whiteimagezoonjp.jpg

http://img11.*************/img11/6589/appleiphone5whiteallsid.jpg

Those are product shots, so obviously they are ideal.

These are the types of shots I saw pre-release:

iphone_5_black_white_rear_casings.jpg

iphone_5_rear_shell_white_1.jpg

Not hideous by any stretch, but I'm not a fan of the aluminium on white. Well I'm not a fan of the white to begin with, for reasons I already explained. It screams look at me, I have an iPhone. It's a colorway that specifically targets not just people that want iPhones but people that want others to know it. Like the gold Motorola Razr's of old.

Beyond that, I also think the white colorway has always made the screen seem smaller, detracted from the content on screen while using it and made the device seem less streamlined when the screen is off entirely because every sensor, speaker, lens, etc. becomes more prominent and it looks too busy.

To me the matte on glossy black is far more understated. But that's just me. Different strokes and all that.

In the end, people are spending their own money and they should get what they want. It's still beautiful device.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
REDVOLUTION;4728008 said:
I have been waiting for this iPhone since iphone3.

Just seems off.

I may still get it but I think apple made a mistake. It just looks wrong.

I agree to some degree. The elongated thing isn't my first choice in terms of what I was expecting. I have large hands, so I wouldn't have minded some extra width at all in terms of screen size and it wouldn't have effected being able to use it with my thumb at all.

In fact more width would have been very welcome for me, but the world isn't built for 6'6" men so it's fine. Conehead iPhone it is!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your iPhone 5 may already have shipped. Here’s how to tell.

Monday, September 17, 2012

If you were up very early in the morning on Friday ordering an iPhone 5, chances are you’re the kind of person who’ll be hitting “Reload” repeatedly on the Apple order status page to see if your device has shipped. In most cases, you’ll likely see that it’s still “Preparing for shipment.”

[URL="http://blog.chron.com/techblog/files/2012/09/preparing.png"] [/URL]

But there’s a good chance Your Beloved may already have left the factory where it was made. AppleInsider reports that shipments have started leaving the Foxconn plant at ZhengZhou, China, even though Apple’s site isn’t updated in many cases.

More: http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2012/09/your-iphone-5-may-already-have-shipped-heres-how-to-tell/

Jenky

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4734354 said:

If you were up very early in the morning on Friday ordering an iPhone 5, chances are you’re the kind of person who’ll be hitting “Reload” repeatedly on the Apple order status page to see if your device has shipped. In most cases, you’ll likely see that it’s still “Preparing for shipment.”

But there’s a good chance Your Beloved may already have left the factory where it was made. AppleInsider reports that shipments have started leaving the Foxconn plant at ZhengZhou, China, even though Apple’s site isn’t updated in many cases.

More: http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2012/09/your-iphone-5-may-already-have-shipped-heres-how-to-tell/

Interesting. Seems like this only applies if you ordered through Apple.com. I went through Verizon since I needed them to port my telephone number from another carrier.

I don't have a tracking # yet from Verizon.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
TheCount;4727037 said:
I don't think it's even a contest.

The black one looks like a bomber - matte black on glossy black.

The white one looks like a mistake. When the white one leaked I thought there was no way that was the final version, but they shipped it.

The only reason anyone gets the white one is because they want a fashion accessory. They want people to look at their iPhone when they pull it out or put it on a table. Which is fine. You're paying for it, get what you want.

From an aesthetic design standpoint, I just think it's an inferior design.

Mine was a pun. I could care less about the color of a phone. I will say I don't want a pink one.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea of how long it will be before I don't have to worry about pre-ordering and I can just go to the store and pick one of these up?

Jenky

Reaction score
CATCH17;4734905 said:
Does anyone have an idea of how long it will be before I don't have to worry about pre-ordering and I can just go to the store and pick one of these up?

If you camp outside, yes.:laugh2:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Jenky;4735034 said:
If you camp outside, yes.:laugh2:

Actually the wife and son are going to AT&T at 3:00 AM and the store does not open until 8:00 AM. I would never do such a thing, but, they want the new phone and in doing so they will get me a free iPhone 4S.

Also, since I am retired Military we get a 15% discount. So, if anyone else out there are in the Military or Retired, remember to tell them that for the discount.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4734354 said:

Mine is stateside! It's on the other end of the country though... Alaska. As of 12:44pm today, it arrived.

Sweet!

Scheduled Delivery:
Friday, 09/21/2012, By End of Day

Looks like it'll be right on time.

Jenky

Reaction score
5Stars;4735267 said:
Actually the wife and son are going to AT&T at 3:00 AM and the store does not open until 8:00 AM. I would never do such a thing, but, they want the new phone and in doing so they will get me a free iPhone 4S.

Also, since I am retired Military we get a 15% discount. So, if anyone else out there are in the Military or Retired, remember to tell them that for the discount.

Nice man, hope you all enjoy it.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Vintage;4727073 said:
I think I will wait for the samsung note 2 to drop and compare it to the galaxy 3s.

I don't think I can survive without swype. And I'm not interested in a small screen.

I hear ya. I have two numbers and may get both .... BUT.... Sammy is looking like what the future is... that is before everything gets REAL small and the chip is put into your head. No more "handheld" lol

341828.jpg

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I heard there were already people waiting outside the Apple store on Monday for the Friday release. *** is wrong with these people? It's a freaking phone! :facepalm:

They should enjoy the next few days of sitting out there. Storms in NYC. Some very heavy.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of iphone, I much prefer bigger screen.

I dropped my 2 month old HTC EVO4 LTE couple of days ago and cracked the screen :rolleyes: ...so I may just get Samsong Galaxy SIII this time.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
03EBZ06;4736643 said:
I've never been a fan of iphone, I much prefer bigger screen.

I dropped my 2 month old HTC EVO4 LTE couple of days ago and cracked the screen :rolleyes: ...so I may just get Samsong Galaxy SIII this time.

I'm amazed at how many people I see on the subway that have cracked screens. I couldn't deal with that. I would have to get another phone.

If I were prone to cracking the screen, I would buy one of those insurance plans that would replace it if it happen.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4736649 said:
I'm amazed at how many people I see on the subway that have cracked screens. I couldn't deal with that. I would have to get another phone.

If I were prone to cracking the screen, I would buy one of those insurance plans that would replace it if it happen.
Yeah, I can't stand it, lol...I have full insurance on it but out of pocket is still $150, and I could get Galaxy SIII for $200.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
03EBZ06;4736652 said:
Yeah, I can't stand it, lol...I have full insurance on it but out of pocket is still $150, and I could get Galaxy SIII for $200.

Why fix when you can upgrade! :laugh2: