What Is The Bare Minimum That Will Get Coach McCarthy a Contract Extension Next Offseason?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well it would have to be more than beating up on the POS Eagles. We do that every year.

Mannix

Reaction score
Only way he gets an extension I would think is a Super Bowl appearance.
Y'all need to quit believing nonsense like that....he said two (2) years after the first SF loss that there had to be deep playoff runs, yet he's done nothing after two (2) more failures. He doesn't give 2 S's about doing the right thing...its all about being comfortable....just pathetic.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
NFC championship or bust. Nothing short of that gives McCarthy a new contract.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Please try.
I don’t have to. I recall how many times I was told how good of team we had and just enjoy the season despite the concerns and weaknesses I warned could rear their ugly heads . And even at times when they did expose I was still dismissed as not supporting the team.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don’t have to. I recall how many times I was told how good of team we had and just enjoy the season despite the concerns and weaknesses I warned could rear their ugly heads . And even at times when they did expose I was still dismissed as not supporting the team.
So you admit I never said I’m happy to just make the playoffs? Please spend more time searching for that statement if not.

Pentagruel

Reaction score
Not talking about pie in the sky stuff like 15+ wins and a championship…

If Mike McCarthy goes 10-7 next year with Dak missing some time to injury, gets a wild card birth & beats the Saints in round 1, and then loses at Detroit in a reasonably competitive game in the division round… could you see Jerry extending him?
I would not rule it out entirely depending on circumstances. One thing about Jerry is that he desperately wants his coaches/players to succeed and that will sometimes allow him to do some serious mental gymnastics to keep people around past their expiry date. On the other hand, it also prevents him from rampantly firing personnel which in my opinion sinks franchises much more easily (NY Giants, Panthers are good examples).

I feel like if McCarthy makes the NFCCG and doesn’t get horrendously embarrassed there like this years debacle versus Green Bay then he is safe. Short of that, my guess is he does not get an extension.

JBS

Reaction score
dak has shown to play well in Kellen’s offense, Garret’s offense, even Linehan’s offense. McCarthy is not a lynchpin between Dak and statistical success, but there is a decent chance Sirianni is that for Hurts
More like Shane. But he’s gone

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You said, you know we can research that? Then research it troll.
I tried to remain cordial with you. If you think I’m a troll you’ve really become desperate. I shouldn’t be surprised resorting to personal insults as the discussion or argument exhaust.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is a screwed. He needs to get to the NFC title game at a bare minimum, but Jerry won’t be making the offseason moves required bc he apparently thinks this team just got unlucky rather than soundly beaten by a better team with a smarter coach.

links18

Reaction score
NFC championship game, minimum. That would be their best playoff performance in 29 years. Anything less and he's gone.
We said that for this year. He got blown out in the wild card round and is coming back....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He is a screwed. He needs to get to the NFC title game at a bare minimum, but Jerry won’t be making the offseason moves required bc he apparently thinks this team just got unlucky rather than soundly beaten by a better team with a smarter coach.
After watching GB take SF on maybe Packers were the better team than us .

I’d expect McCarthy to look for a gig elsewhere , assuming he’s still in demand.

But most HC’s this era under Jethro this has been last stop as we are like a graveyard for HC’s.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
NFC championship game, minimum. That would be their best playoff performance in 29 years. Anything less and he's gone.
This ^^^^^ I don't think even losing Dak for the year will save him. But then again, Jerry just passed on hiring 3 big-time coaches to bring him back for a year. That suggests to me Jerry is expecting a major leap or he may blow it up. Go for a top coach and get out of his way like he did with Parcell.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This ^^^^^ I don't think even losing Dak for the year will save him. But then again, Jerry just passed on hiring 3 big-time coaches to bring him back for a year. That suggests to me Jerry is expecting a major leap or he may blow it up. Go for a top coach and get out of his way like he did with Parcell.
I doubt Jethro blows it up unless we hit rock bottom. Maybe if we miss the playoffs.

But he’s entirely too comfortable and lazy to restart a perineal 12 win playoff team. Regardless if they choke in the playoffs.

We’re talking about the greatest promoter in our time who can sell the hell out of 8-8. Lol

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After watching GB take SF on maybe Packers were the better team than us .

I’d expect McCarthy to look for a gig elsewhere , assuming he’s still in demand.

But most HC’s this era under Jethro this has been last stop as we are like a graveyard for HC’s.
Oh, I know GB was the better team. Jerry may not think so. He’s trying to bring back the whole gang for one more rodeo as if he doesn’t see the problem.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I doubt Jethro blows it up unless we hit rock bottom. Maybe if we miss the playoffs.

But he’s entirely too comfortable and lazy to restart a perineal 12 win playoff team. Regardless if they choke in the playoffs.

We’re talking about the greatest promoter in our time who can sell the hell out of 8-8. Lol
I agree but I'm talking about the way he will get a top candidate if he's allowed to bring his own OC and DC. In other words, the new coach can keep or fire any assistants he chooses

nobody

Reaction score
What about from Jerry’s perspective? I ask this only because I don’t really know why Jerry kept him.

Do you think Jerry could possibly keep him again after a divisional round appearance, if circumstances are favorable?
Even all of us knowing what a narcissistic man who hates admitting mistakes Jerry is, it's hard to gauge what it would take. He's not always predictable when it comes to those moves other than he hates letting go and moving on from things.