What Is The Bare Minimum That Will Get Coach McCarthy a Contract Extension Next Offseason?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh, I know GB was the better team. Jerry may not think so. He’s trying to bring back the whole gang for one more rodeo as if he doesn’t see the problem.
Unfortunately, I’m not sure it matters. We operate a little differently in Jethro world. No pressure, no accountability.

Still surprises me how many fans expect things to change.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree but I'm talking about the way he will get a top candidate if he's allowed to bring his own OC and DC. In other words, the new coach can keep or fire any assistants he chooses
When have we got a top candidate this era. And what top candidate would want to come to Jethro World?

Amazing how some fans look at us like other franchises.

visionary

Reaction score
Not talking about pie in the sky stuff like 15+ wins and a championship…

If Mike McCarthy goes 10-7 next year with Dak missing some time to injury, gets a wild card birth & beats the Saints in round 1, and then loses at Detroit in a reasonably competitive game in the division round… could you see Jerry extending him?
Absolutely
Jerry will cling to “relevant “ and “competitive “ till hes in the grave

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Absolutely
Jerry will cling to “relevant “ and “competitive “ till hes in the grave
He will as long as it is relevant and interesting.

Shoot, he sold the hell out of 8-8. 12-5 easy peasy . He doesn’t even need a scapegoat. Lol

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unfortunately, I’m not sure it matters. We operate a little differently in Jethro world. No pressure, no accountability.

Still surprises me how many fans expect things to change.
Well, I’m never surprised. But the blind squirrel analogy gives me hope.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well, I’m never surprised. But the blind squirrel analogy gives me hope.
Sure, there’s always a glimmer of hope as long as we get into playoffs we could find an acorn or maybe opponent falls on its face .

But if you’re referring to our front office changing or attracting a top candidate , that’s more than a dream.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
And what top candidate would want to come to Jethro World?
I'm not promoting us as a top franchise....... simply saying any top candidate will want to choose his coordinators.

BTW.......guess you missed where Jane Slater said that Harbaugh, Belichick and Vrabel were interested if MM was fired

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When have we got a top candidate this era. And what top candidate would want to come to Jethro World?

Amazing how some fans look at us like other franchises.
I think Dallas is the ultimate cushy job. No pressure to win now. We probably have the best facilities in the NFL and the most luxurious. You just have to keep the old man believing that next year could be the one if we could just improve position X. Garret was the ultimate con man coach. He played Jerry like a fiddle for over a decade.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m thinking it’s about time for another season with injuries to Dak. Maybe not entire season but enough to derail the season unless our backup takes off .

In that case we probably just let MM walk. But we will have resigned Dak before then.

And who knows maybe MM doesn’t get interest elsewhere and Jethro decides to extend him only one season.

Anything is possible . I really hate to think who our next HC might be .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm not promoting us as a top franchise....... simply saying any top candidate will want to choose his coordinators.

BTW.......guess you missed where Jane Slater said that Harbaugh, Belichick and Vrabel were interested if MM was fired
Belichick wouldn't surprise me. He’s looking for best and quickest way to get his 15 wins and maybe another ring. Might tolerate Jethro for it.

Vrabel would probably take any job offered. Harbaugh would surprise me as he has the pick of the liter.

And who the hell is Jane Slater? Lol

Sydla

Reaction score
Not talking about pie in the sky stuff like 15+ wins and a championship…

If Mike McCarthy goes 10-7 next year with Dak missing some time to injury, gets a wild card birth & beats the Saints in round 1, and then loses at Detroit in a reasonably competitive game in the division round… could you see Jerry extending him?
Who knows with Jerry.

If you believe his words, McCarthy was hired to get the Cowboys beyond where Garrett got them. So, if those words are accurate, it's NFCCG at a minimum or bust.

You got your own coaching issues to worry about Aerolithe. You gotta a man baby as a head coach who is basically gonna have two new coordinators foisted upon him by Howie and Lurie.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Belichick wouldn't surprise me. He’s looking for best and quickest way to get his 15 wins and maybe another ring. Might tolerate Jethro for it.

Vrabel would probably take any job offered. Harbaugh would surprise me as he has the pick of the liter.

And who the hell is Jane Slater? Lol
Well, she pretty good at her job.........and pretty too (LOL)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think Dallas is the ultimate cushy job. No pressure to win now. We probably have the best facilities in the NFL and the most luxurious. You just have to keep the old man believing that next year could be the one if we could just improve position X. Garret was the ultimate con man coach. He played Jerry like a fiddle for over a decade.
Most great coaches or top candidates wouldn’t want to come here.

Only ones we’ve attracted this era were coming out of retirement as their phones weren’t ringing. And willing to tolerate the old fool.

Garrett had several fooled. Ravens offered him the HC. I bet they’re glad he turned it down.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s a legitimate question. But we have an owner who doesn’t think like most other owners.

It took me years to realize our owner is not as offended by early playoff exits as he is by not being able to be fully comfortable and in control of every single aspect of this team from top to bottom. He is less bothered by losses than he is being upstaged.

Does he want to win? Yes. Is He willing to do whatever it takes to win? No. Because getting himself out of the way is not something he’s willing to do. He would rather lose than do that. We have 28 years of evidence. He kept Jason Garrett here for a decade and was ok with him only making the playoffs 3 times in 10 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s what I love about Jethro. We know exactly where his priorities are. He’s so brutally honest.

He’s admitted to would have fired a GM with his record and stated that remaining relevant and interesting is top priority.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In Jethro’s mind he’s made the Cowboys great again. While most of us realize it’s been all about him not what’s best for Cowboys football.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I’ve read or heard nothing at the local level to support these claims.

There was some speculation about Wild Bill but nothing ever became of it.
That Jane is pretty? No one has to tell me that, my eye test is good enough......... :lmao2:

C'mon Greg....what are they feeding you in Texas (lol)