What Is The Real Plan With Lance?

Chasing6

Reaction score
noun
INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
noun: phenom; plural noun: phenoms
  1. a person who is outstandingly talented or admired, especially an up-and-comer.

i think you made my point for me.

He’s a Phenom QB.
Admired by who? No one wanted to trade for him accept Jerry.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My guess is that there will be multiple teams offering a 3rd round pick, and some even a 2nd round pick, for him before the draft.
So, the 4th round pick can be turned into a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
I would say that is a win.

Or just keep him as a backup in 2024, and then he leaves for another team in 2025 and hopefully the Cowboys get a comp pick.
Or the Cowboys trade him before the trade deadline in 2024 to a desperate team willing to give up a lot.
Or he stays as the backup in 2024 and beyond at reasonable cost.

Lot of win-win situations for the Cowboys and little risk or cost.
Good move, Jerry and team.
Help me understand…how would zero playing time, zero exposure to the rest of the league make Trey Lance’s value go up? It just doesn’t make sense to me.

If he hasn’t played a down and there’s no film to evaluate any progress or digression this year, why would any team offer the Cowboys a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th round pick?

Maybe it becomes a good move at some point, but IMO at this time the Trey Lance trade is a mystery move more than a good move. Maybe you can shed some additional light.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Have him learn under Dak for the next few years. It’s a good plan to have a successor in your back pocket. Can Dak continue this high level of play the next 3 years?

erod

Reaction score
After SF 95 pct of Cowboys nation was done with Dak. Now it’s probably 50/50. So a contract extension is being discussed again. He changed the narrative with great, not good, play. This is hard for the Dak hater squad to see but it’s 100 pct true.
There's biting great about beating bad teams.

Greatness ONLY happens in the playoffs. Period.

erod

Reaction score
LOL...you give Dak credit for killing bad teams and they'll call you a hater. Basically, if you don't have "faith" in Dak, you are a bad person.

This is religious devotion on their part, not analysis.
Lemmings never learn.

plasticman

Reaction score
Prepare there bust
Presented by former winner, Tony Romo.

The idea is pretty much the same. Romo went through a four week interview for a new contract when his was expiring. He was entering his 4th season and had yet to throw a regulation pass in the NFL. His career depended on the results of that preseason, particularly one game in which he played all four quarters.

He didn't get a bust, But Tony did get a new contract, eventually starting later that season.

Trey Lance gets the same test with the same potential results. He won't get as much developmental time as Tony but, he has better physical skills than Tony had.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Have him learn under Dak for the next few years. It’s a good plan to have a successor in your back pocket. Can Dak continue this high level of play the next 3 years?
It’s likely the 49ers asked themselves if Purdy can continue his high level of play. When they thought about it long enough they decided to keep Darnold and get what they could for Lance. Jerry obviously offered the most. The Cowboys are the big winners here. Brilliant ownership, brilliant GM. The San Francisco 49ers obviously don’t know what they’re doing.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....
The plan was never to give Trey a chance to play this season. Where did you get that idea? He is our developmental QB this year and next year. Cooper Rush signed a two-year deal in May this year, so he isn't going anywhere. He certainly hasn't done anything to reasonably terminate him early. So there you go.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
It’s likely the 49ers asked themselves if Purdy can continue his high level of play. When they thought about it long enough they decided to keep Darnold and get what they could for Lance. Jerry obviously offered the most. The Cowboys are the big winners here. Brilliant ownership, brilliant GM. The San Francisco 49ers obviously don’t know what they’re doing.
The plan was never to give Trey a chance to play this season. Where did you get that idea? He is our developmental QB this year and next year. Cooper Rush signed a two-year deal in May this year, so he isn't going anywhere. He certainly hasn't done anything to reasonably terminate him early. So there you go.
$5 million for next season. Cooper, see you later. You’re done here. We’ve got Trey Lance. And we’re going to use him, even though he’s never proved he an do anything in the NFL, to try to pay Dak Prescott less than he deserves. It is a great plan.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
We have played 2 good teams this year and only scored 33 points in losing both games.

I guess we will see what Sunday even brings and this might sound harsh but so far the only script he has written is lighting up bad teams.
The anti Dak crowd is so unbelievably biased. I think they should wait to extend him. See how the playoffs pan out. That said if you don’t think his play this season hasn’t, bad teams or not, increased the chance of an extension you are nuts.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
There's biting great about beating bad teams.

Greatness ONLY happens in the playoffs. Period.
True but that has nothing to do with the probability of Dak being extended going up. Arguing reality with you Dak haters is impossible so let’s move on.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
thanks for knowing everything, clearly you work for the eagles front office!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Learn what? You think we're better at developing players than SF?

kskboys

Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that Darnold has outplayed Trey, and by a large margin. SF kept trying to give that #1 and then #2 spot to Trey, tried desperately, but he just couldn't earn it. They wanted him to beat out Darnold soooooooooooooooooooo bad, just didn't happen.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How would we know that the Lance trade is brilliant and that the Cowboys are the ”big winners”? And it seems odd to me to say the niners don’t know what they’re doing when they are in the drivers seat for the #1 seed.

Hey I can’t stand the niners but saying they “don’t know what they are doing“ seems odd to me.

kskboys

Reaction score
How would we know that the Lance trade is brilliant and that the Cowboys are the ”big winners”? And it seems odd to me to say the niners don’t know what they’re doing when they are in the drivers seat for the #1 seed.

Hey I can’t stand the niners but saying they “don’t know what they are doing“ seems odd to me.
The Niners just got a 4th for a bust who can't stay on the field.